Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

How have you redeemed Chase Ultimate Rewards points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How have you redeemed Chase Ultimate Rewards points?
Transfer to British Airways Executive Club
14.10%
Transfer to Korean Air SKYPASS
1.92%
Transfer to Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards
13.46%
Transfer to United Airlines MileagePlus
68.27%
Transfer to Amtrak Guest Rewards
5.13%
Transfer to Hyatt Gold Passport
31.09%
Transfer to IHG Priority Club Rewards
1.92%
Transfer to Marriott or Ritz-Carlton Rewards
3.85%
Redeemed points for airfare, lodging or car rental through ultimaterewards.com
16.67%
Redeemed points for giftcards or merchandise.
11.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

How have you redeemed Chase Ultimate Rewards points?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by penner42
Flexibility. Even if you never plan to transfer to more than one partner, why not leave the option open? The Chase Hyatt card earns 3 points/$1 at Hyatts but basically the same as the Sapphire Preferred otherwise. Why not get the option to transfer to somewhere else?

I don't know of any currently available United card that earns 2x for dining and non-United travel. The Sapphire Preferred is better than the United Explorer for earning United miles, if you don't care about the other benefits because of elite status or other reasons. (Edit: Of course, the case could be made that the United Club Card at 1.5x on all spend, or the 10k bonus for $25k spend on the Explorer would make them better. But for most people's spending patterns, the Sapphire is probably better than dedicated UA cards for earning UA miles.)

If anything, I think this is also why the co-branded card works well sometimes with the CSP/Freedom. Unless I need points for SW/UA, I put all my Hyatt stays on the Hyatt Visa to get 8x+ points (5x Gold Passport + 3x CC points + 30% diamond bonus). Although the Hyatt Visa only gives 1x more, my multi-$1,000 stays can add up quickly. Not only that, but I can't beat the yearly free cat 1-4 night and often annual fee bonus of extra points. If I need extra points to book a Hyatt, I can simply transfer the excess points needed from my CSP to make do.

My parents do similar with the UA card because they do not have status and therefore have the Explorer so it can offset their baggage fees. Only charges to meet the bonus 10k points are placed on the card. Otherwise, the UA card is pretty pointless as the 2x is the same with the CSP (like you said!).
Old Oct 11, 2013, 3:35 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of transferring to another person's airline, hotel or Amtrak account has been moved to the established thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...l-account.html
Old Oct 12, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
Originally Posted by Rick471
Becasue you can fly anywhere on an airline, but where you going to stay once you get there?

For example, I am staying at the Andaz Maui for 22K GoldPassport points a night. If I paid using FRN's it would be over $2500 for the stay. Trust me when I say I did not spend $2500 for the UR points to transfer over. Great ratio!
Are you serious? what kind of room is that? 2500$ for the stay? is it true? or you were joking?
Old Oct 12, 2013, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happy9zz
Are you serious? what kind of room is that? 2500$ for the stay? is it true? or you were joking?
You can go to the Hyatt website to check this out yourself. Depends on room type and location, some hotel rooms are truly very expensive. The stay can be more than one night by the way - a stay does not = to a night. He said it is 22K a night but $2500 for the stay without specify how many nights he is staying. My guess is, it is probably just 3 to 4 nights at that price tab for Andaz (and in Maui).

Last edited by Happy; Oct 12, 2013 at 9:53 pm
Old Oct 12, 2013, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by penner42
Flexibility. Even if you never plan to transfer to more than one partner, why not leave the option open? The Chase Hyatt card earns 3 points/$1 at Hyatts but basically the same as the Sapphire Preferred otherwise. Why not get the option to transfer to somewhere else?

I don't know of any currently available United card that earns 2x for dining and non-United travel. The Sapphire Preferred is better than the United Explorer for earning United miles, if you don't care about the other benefits because of elite status or other reasons. (Edit: Of course, the case could be made that the United Club Card at 1.5x on all spend, or the 10k bonus for $25k spend on the Explorer would make them better. But for most people's spending patterns, the Sapphire is probably better than dedicated UA cards for earning UA miles.)
My UA Explorer Biz card earns 2x at restaurants, gas station, and office supply. Though I agree with you CSP is a better all-around card that is why Chase is so stingy in retention effort.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
Originally Posted by Happy
You can go to the Hyatt website to check this out yourself. Depends on room type and location, some hotel rooms are truly very expensive. The stay can be more than one night by the way - a stay does not = to a night. He said it is 22K a night but $2500 for the stay without specify how many nights he is staying. My guess is, it is probably just 3 to 4 nights at that price tab for Andaz (and in Maui).
Thanks for your explanation. For your guess, 4 nights at $2500. So it is around 600$/ night. It is so expensive. I haven't seen any hotel which is expensive about 600$/night.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for your explanation. For your guess, 4 nights at $2500. So it is around 600$/ night. It is so expensive. I haven't seen any hotel which is expensive about 600$/night.
No, $600 a night at for a new hotel in Maui is NOT expensive - it is actually on the cheap side. Note I said 3 to 4 nights at the most...

Park Hyatt Sydney could be at $800 a night FYI.

Why dont you just go to Hyatt website as suggested and do a search of some cities - Tokyo, Hong Kong, Sydney, Paris, enough for you to see a lot of rooms are more than $600 a night. It may be an eyeopener to you.

And we are only talking about Hyatt here because it is a Chase transfer partner.

Go check out how much a room costs at InterContinental Hotel at, say, Bora Bora. It is also a Chase transfer partner.

That is why transfer to airlines is not always the best option. Sometimes for people in particular needs, transfer to a hotel program actually makes a lot of sense - for those who like to stay in a nice hotel in premium location at a popular destination.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:48 am

You are correct! 4 nights in May. Thats after staying 4 nights in HNL. I am flying from ABQ-OAK-HNL. 4 nights in HNL then HNL-OGG. Then 4 nights in OGG. Then flying back OGG-OAK-ABQ. This is for me, the wifey, and my son. I did an AOR in April and am paying roughly $200 for the entire trip out of my pocket!

Love this site!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:55 pm

Is Hyatt still a good choice or United?
I still see more votes for UNITED.^
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:01 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I still see more votes for UNITED.^
The poll was conducted in the first quarter of 2013. This poll is closed means that the totals will never change.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by mia
The poll was conducted in the first quarter of 2013. This poll is closed means that the totals will never change.
Can we do another poll to get more updated results?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:20 pm

I don't have a Chase card yet. Just asking this, Is it possible to redeem via Ultimate Rewards if I have a Chase freedom card?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by dingchak
I don't have a Chase card yet. Just asking this, Is it possible to redeem via Ultimate Rewards if I have a Chase freedom card?
Yes you can however, you cannot transfer the points to airlines or hotels.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Cash so far, but if I get the CSP I could see myself transferring to WN. They seem to be the biggest airline at my home airport so it's probably more worthwhile than the other airline or hotel programs.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
I only have redeemed it for Southwest. I almost redeemed it for car rental, but got cheaper rate via Costco.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.