Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Success! Opened Chase checking. Got preapproved CC. Had been blacklisted by Chase.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Success! Opened Chase checking. Got preapproved CC. Had been blacklisted by Chase.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:48 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.

A $200 bonus (for checking account) came in the mail. I wanted to open this account for my rental properties since 2 of my tenants have Chase accounts.

Opened the account with $1500 plus they exchanged some foreign currency (CHF & British Pounds) to add to the account. I was told that I was preapproved for a CC. In Calif, preapproval usually means firm approval most of the time. The banker told me about the freedom & slate cards. I do not need 0% for 15 months since I have plenty of $ in the bank. I told him I wanted the CSP and it had only a 2K spend (usual offers have 3K spend requirements). I got approved with a very nice CL. I took a look on the back side of the large sheet and they had the two UA cards. The regular one had 50K bonus with 1K (?) spend. Since I am in the advanced stages of cancer, I am grounded for quite a long time. Normally, I would have been all over the UA card!! The CSP will meet my needs very well as the points transfer into so many programs. Plus 2X travel bonus is quite nice!

I thought having my own CSP card with 40K bonus was my best option. Better to me than Freedom ($100 bonus) or Slate with 0%.

Bottom line: I am glad I am not on Chase's blacklist like I have been for years. (old chargeoffs in the late 90's). A very nice day! $200 bonus for opening checking acct, and a new CSP in my own name with 40K bonus. ^ Success!! Never give up as one never knows when opportunity comes your way. ^
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by chemist661
A $200 bonus (for checking account) came in the mail. I wanted to open this account for my rental properties since 2 of my tenants have Chase accounts.

Opened the account with $1500 plus they exchanged some foreign currency (CHF & British Pounds) to add to the account. I was told that I was preapproved for a CC. In Calif, preapproval usually means firm approval most of the time. The banker told me about the freedom & slate cards. I do not need 0% for 15 months since I have plenty of $ in the bank. I told him I wanted the CSP and it had only a 2K spend (usual offers have 3K spend requirements). I got approved with a very nice CL. I took a look on the back side of the large sheet and they had the two UA cards. The regular one had 50K bonus with 1K (?) spend. Since I am in the advanced stages of cancer, I am grounded for quite a long time. Normally, I would have been all over the UA card!! The CSP will meet my needs very well as the points transfer into so many programs. Plus 2X travel bonus is quite nice!

I thought having my own CSP card with 40K bonus was my best option. Better to me than Freedom ($100 bonus) or Slate with 0%.

Bottom line: I am glad I am not on Chase's blacklist like I have been for years. (old chargeoffs in the late 90's). A very nice day! $200 bonus for opening checking acct, and a new CSP in my own name with 40K bonus. ^ Success!! Never give up as one never knows when opportunity comes your way. ^

Congrats on winning their good graces again.^

Sorry to hear about your bout with Cancer.

Thanks for the info. on the cards as well.

Your story is a good reminder to enjoy life and enjoy our miles.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by chemist661

Speedy recovery on the Cancer.

There is hope for me perhaps. Do you have any revolving balances on your other credit cards? I had an old charge off from 97 and I was denied based on 'Unsatisfactory relationship with bank' 'Too many accounts with balances over $1k' I only have two accounts with balance over 1K. I'm about given up on Chase
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by texasguy77

There is hope for me perhaps. Do you have any revolving balances on your other credit cards? I had an old charge off from 97 and I was denied based on 'Unsatisfactory relationship with bank' 'Too many accounts with balances over $1k' I only have two accounts with balance over 1K. I'm about given up on Chase
Pay off your revolving balances.

Given you have a charge off on your report and you still carry revolving balances on 2 cards (or even more but others under $1K), banks would be weary about granting you new credit.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:27 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Originally Posted by Happy
Pay off your revolving balances.

Given you have a charge off on your report and you still carry revolving balances on 2 cards (or even more but others under $1K), banks would be weary about granting you new credit.
My FICO's around 800. My credit utilization around 1-2%. I never carry a balance. Old charge offs not on my reports for years as those are ancient. I have perfect credit but had denials due to internal Chase past history. Glad that Chase will now extend me another CC as I have a Priority Club CC with a $7500 CL that has a perfect pay history for the last 2 yrs. I had to close 2 Chase CC's at the time (old Wamu CC's that Chase bought) but worth it to get the 80K PC signup bonus. I had to get to the 3rd level credit analyst to get that card. Worth the fight!!

Now I am speech impared (removed tongue in Dec 2011) but I can speak but it is difficult. (people that recently met me in person at various events--Chicago seminars 2012 & recent Los Angeles FTU know that I am speech impared).

Bottom line: I do NOT give up and am a fighter!! I push when needed but try to be polite to others. ^
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:00 am

In regard to the '97 charge-off, have there been any transactions since that date, partial payments being the most likely? If the answer is no, the credit reporting agency who reported the item to Chase should have deleted it long ago. I am not sure of the exact point where they would need to discontinue reporting the item, but am certain that it is well < under 15/16 years.
Old May 20, 2014, 2:42 am

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
In regard to the '97 charge-off, have there been any transactions since that date, partial payments being the most likely? If the answer is no, the credit reporting agency who reported the item to Chase should have deleted it long ago. I am not sure of the exact point where they would need to discontinue reporting the item, but am certain that it is well < under 15/16 years.
After all these years, I finally got my first approval from Chase this past week. Actually got approved for the Marriott card with a very high limit and the Amazon Rewards Visa. I'll be a good boy going forward.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: many
After all these years, I finally got my first approval from Chase this past week. Actually got approved for the Marriott card with a very high limit and the Amazon Rewards Visa. I'll be a good boy going forward.
Mind sharing how many years that is?
How often have you tried applying in the past?
Did your chase denials always result in hard inquiries?
Thx
Old May 20, 2014, 11:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by pcharles
Mind sharing how many years that is?
You can use the > icon next to the quoted text to trace a discussion back through the thread ...

I had an old charge off from 97 and I was denied based on 'Unsatisfactory relationship with bank'...
Old May 20, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by mia
You can use the > icon next to the quoted text to trace a discussion back through the thread ...
Missed that, thanks for the circles and arrow.

The other data points would be appreciated.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:23 pm

Any insight why in some cases these solutions work and in some cases do not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.