Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Old Dec 26, 12, 11:34 am   #1
a7m

Programs: DL GM, UA, AA
Book Air Tickets Through Ultimate Rewards with Points: Earn Miles?

Here is a simple question: If I purchase a ticket for a Delta flight through Chase Ultimate Rewards using my Chase Sapphire points, will I get miles on Delta?
a7m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 12, 12:35 pm   #2

Yes, booking through the UR mall is like using any other travel agency
jm38750n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 12, 1:18 pm   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7m View Post
Here is a simple question: If I purchase a ticket for a Delta flight through Chase Ultimate Rewards using my Chase Sapphire points, will I get miles on Delta?
why would u want to use UR points to buy delta tickets? transfer to airline miles and redeem.
webazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 12, 2:05 pm   #4

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by webazoid View Post
why would u want to use UR points to buy delta tickets? transfer to airline miles and redeem.
if the flight is cheap enough or the number of sky miles outrageous enough, redemption might be the way to go
mmargel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 12, 2:17 pm   #5

Programs: Air: WN A-List & CP, UA *S; Hotels - Gold: CP, CC, HH, & SPG; Hotels - Plat: Marriott; TR Dia
Quote:
You do realize that UR points cannot be directly transferred to DL, right? One could transfer them to ST partner KE (leaving out the discussion on DL elites & CC holders having better access to domestic econ. flights).

And, as an example to what another poster noted above, if a ticket costs either $199 cash or 50,000 miles, one would rationally choose to pay with cash (or, in this case, UR points) so long as one values the miles at $0.004 per mile or more.
FindAWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 12, 2:27 pm   #6
a7m

Programs: DL GM, UA, AA
Quote:
If I transfer points to an airline program, I will not get MQMs from airline, which I need to maintain my elite status. If I buy a Delta ticket with points through UR, I will get MQMs and accumulate miles from Delta (225% of the miles I fly, since I have an elite level).
a7m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 12, 3:13 pm   #7

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, UA urine (PP), A3 *G, Hyatt Dia, AmEx Plat, *$G (Starbucks Gold)
Quote:
As others have suggested, sometimes it makes more sense to use cash for tickets. However, I semi-agree with you that UR points are better used for mileage transfers and would use other "cash-back equivalent points" like Citi ThankYou or US Bank FlexPerks for paid travel, and save my UR for mileage redemptions.
Old Feb 18, 13, 1:54 am   #8

Ultimate Rewards

I was hoping someone can help me answer this question. If I book a flight say on United Airlines through ultimate rewards, would that trip qualify for United MileagePlus miles. And also will those miles will added to my "lifetime flight miles" balance?

Also the same questions for "Thank You" points from Citibank.

I am about 200,000 from being a United million miler and I would hate to book a flight using points and not have those miles counted in my MileagePlus account.

Thanks!

Jim.
ebtg95125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 13, 2:15 am   #9

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH GLD (thanks Citi), former DL silver
I'm assuming you're talking about booking a flight directly with thankyou.com/ultimaterewards and not transferring the points to United and redeeming them for an award flight.

Flights booked on thankyou.com are essentially purchased from the airline, so you do earn miles, .etc. I assume it's the same with Ultimate Rewards.
nall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 13, 9:29 pm   #10

Programs: UA 1K/1.9MM, AA Plat
What fare do these book into?

Do tickets purchased with UR book into the same class as if paid by cash directly to airline?
blueman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 13, 5:18 am   #11

Programs: United Gold, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
Usually. Sometimes it is hard to tell the booking class via UR. Also the reps don't have the ability to search by fare class.

For example i was not able to book a W fare class on United in order to use my SWU.
Old Apr 18, 13, 8:00 am   #12
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman2 View Post
Do tickets purchased with UR book into the same class as if paid by cash directly to airline?
For Chase UR and Citi TY points where the points are used to directly pay for the ticket, all of my tickets of this sort have worked out in the way you mention in your question. So the answer would be as indicated in the earlier response to your post: yes, at least usually.
Old Apr 18, 13, 10:05 am   #13

Programs: UA 1K/1.9MM, AA Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
For Chase UR and Citi TY points where the points are used to directly pay for the ticket, all of my tickets of this sort have worked out in the way you mention in your question. So the answer would be as indicated in the earlier response to your post: yes, at least usually.
Excellent. Wow, I have to say that the UR program is damn good! I am stupid for not joining earlier and dropping my United card. Chase Sapphire Preferred is better in every conceivable way.

So, why would anyone have a reason to stay with United card??? (unless they want the club option).
blueman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 13, 12:34 am   #14

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1P)
Change fee for such a booking?

I searched for a while but found no answer. I want to know if Chase charges extra fees if I may changes/cancellations for tickets booked via UR portal? I know that travel agency sites like Travelocity charges $40 in addition to any change fee collected by the airlines.

Second question is, in case of IRROP, can the operating airlines directly change my tickets, or I have to contact Chase to change the ticket?

Thanks a lot!
lixiaojuventus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 13, 8:39 pm   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman2 View Post
Excellent. Wow, I have to say that the UR program is damn good! I am stupid for not joining earlier and dropping my United card. Chase Sapphire Preferred is better in every conceivable way.

So, why would anyone have a reason to stay with United card??? (unless they want the club option).
I keep both for two reasons: 10,000 mile bonus after 25K on United card and free checked bag. After 25K, almost everything goes on the Sapphire card.
NJzan is offline   Reply With Quote