Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking flights, rooms & cars using Chase U.R. [consolidated]

Booking flights, rooms & cars using Chase U.R. [consolidated]

Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Pretty much every time I try to book a flight, the UR Mall doesn't have the lowest fare. I think most FTers are savvy enough to not use UR Mall as their only option to find the lowest airfare.

Also booking at UR mall only gives you extra 1 UR point/$, so your total would have been 3 UR points/$. Going to Travelocity from the UR Mall is actually a better deal because then you get extra 2 UR points/$ as in your calculation.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:36 pm

Here's a related question I've been wondering about and haven't been able to find an answer: if I book a flight through the UR travel engine, does the 24-hour cancellation policy still apply like it does if I book directly with the airline? In this case it's United, which does allow you to cancel within 24 hours.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:01 pm

When you book a flight through the UR mall, Travelocity, I find that you are not able to get a price adjustment if the price goes down that you can get if you book through the airline directly.

Has anyone had any luck getting a price adjustment booking this way?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:04 pm

Should I purchase airfare through Ulitmate Rewards Mall or directly from the airline?

I will be traveling to Russia (Moscow & St. Petersburg) from May 5 to May 15, 2013.
I want to fly Aeroflot.
I was pleasantly surprised recently to find out that I can purchase a ticket directly from Aeroflot's website for the same price as the online discount agents, such as Expedia, Orbitz and Travelocity. I always like to buy direct, and eliminate the middle man as much as possible. The only thing is that I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card, which I can use to purchase my ticket through the Ultimate Rewards Mall and get 2 pts/$1 on flights bought on Travelocity.
What should I do?
Also, my credit card gives me 2X points for every dollar spent on flights; does this mean that I will get 2X points from my credit card plus another 2X points for purchasing my airline ticket through the UR Mall on Travelocity, for a total of 4X Ultimate Rewards points?
So, is my following calculation correct?

Option 1: purchase directly on Aeroflot's website= 2X points per dollar spent (cost of ticket is $734) using my CSP card= 1,468 Ultimate Rewards points, plus another 734 Delta Sky Miles (I'm a member).

Option 2: purchase through Ultimate Rewards Mall on Travelocity= 4X points per dollar spent using CSP card= 2,936 Ultimate Rewards points, plus another 734 Delta Sky Miles (or less-- I'm not sure if I'll get credited at a 1:1 ratio if I purchase through a discount site).
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:19 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

joer1212's question has been appended to a similar current discussion.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by joer1212
I will be traveling to Russia (Moscow & St. Petersburg) from May 5 to May 15, 2013.
I want to fly Aeroflot.
I was pleasantly surprised recently to find out that I can purchase a ticket directly from Aeroflot's website for the same price as the online discount agents, such as Expedia, Orbitz and Travelocity. I always like to buy direct, and eliminate the middle man as much as possible. The only thing is that I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card, which I can use to purchase my ticket through the Ultimate Rewards Mall and get 2 pts/$1 on flights bought on Travelocity.
What should I do?
Also, my credit card gives me 2X points for every dollar spent on flights; does this mean that I will get 2X points from my credit card plus another 2X points for purchasing my airline ticket through the UR Mall on Travelocity, for a total of 4X Ultimate Rewards points?
So, is my following calculation correct?

Option 1: purchase directly on Aeroflot's website= 2X points per dollar spent (cost of ticket is $734) using my CSP card= 1,468 Ultimate Rewards points, plus another 734 Delta Sky Miles (I'm a member).

Option 2: purchase through Ultimate Rewards Mall on Travelocity= 4X points per dollar spent using CSP card= 2,936 Ultimate Rewards points, plus another 734 Delta Sky Miles (or less-- I'm not sure if I'll get credited at a 1:1 ratio if I purchase through a discount site).
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that actually neither calculation is correct. I believe you'd get 2x UR points simply for using your Sapphire card (regardless of whether you go through the UR mall or not) plus 1X UR points for going through the UR mall. That would mean your UR points would be 3X the cost of the ticket.

I didn't know that you'd get any Delta Sky Miles simply for purchasing the Delta ticket and don't know about DSM generally, so can't venture an opinion there.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:35 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

I...card gives me 2X points for every dollar spent on flights; does this mean that I will get 2X points from my credit card plus another 2X points for purchasing my airline ticket through the UR Mall
If you purchase the ticket through the Travelocity portal on the Ultimate Rewards Mall you will earn:

1 point for spending a dollar
1 point for purchasing airfare (Chase Sapphire Preferred)
2 points (nearly*) for using Travelocity's portal

*Travelocity will not award any points on the taxes or fees included in the fare, which can be a substantial portion on a longhaul flight.

I cannot say if the ticket you purchase through Travelocity will be eligible to earn SkyMiles, or miles in any other airline program. This will depend on the exact fare bucket and the rules of the Skymiles or other airline program. You should research that aspect separately. Using the UR Mall is irrelevant, but using Travelocity is critical.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that actually neither calculation is correct. I believe you'd get 2x UR points simply for using your Sapphire card (regardless of whether you go through the UR mall or not) plus 1X UR points for going through the UR mall. That would mean your UR points would be 3X the cost of the ticket.

I didn't know that you'd get any Delta Sky Miles simply for purchasing the Delta ticket and don't know about DSM generally, so can't venture an opinion there.
Yes, it specifically states on the UR mall that I will get 2pts/$ if I purchase through Travelocity.
Other sites have different rates (1pt/$), but Travelocity gives more.
Wouldn't I get Delta SkyMiles since they are a member of Sky Team, and I will be flying one of their partner airlines? In fact, Aeroflot asks you which ff program you want your miles credited to, and it includes Delta (among others from Sky Team). All you have to do is type your frequent flyer number when booking. However, this is when you book directly on Aeroflot's website. I'm not sure how this would work through Travelocity.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:43 pm
mia

All you have to do is type your frequent flyer number when booking.
You also must purchase a qualifying fare code. Read the rules here:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-airlines.html

I encourage you to research this aspect in the Delta forum. Credit for partner flights is a very technical area, and buying the ticket though a travel agency, such as Travelocity, makes it more complicated because you may not be able to see the fare code at time of booking.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Yes, it specifically states on the UR mall that I will get 2pts/$ if I purchase through Travelocity.
Other sites have different rates (1pt/$), but Travelocity gives more.
Wouldn't I get Delta SkyMiles since they are a member of Sky Team, and I will be flying one of their partner airlines? In fact, Aeroflot asks you which ff program you want your miles credited to, and it includes Delta (among others from Sky Team). All you have to do is type your frequent flyer number when booking. However, this is when you book directly on Aeroflot's website. I'm not sure how this would work through Travelocity.
As for Delta miles...

1. For most airlines (though again, I'm not familiar with Delta's program), you normally don't accrue the miles for the ticket purchase price. It's for the miles you fly.
2. SO this might actually be good news for you. Instead of hundreds of points for the ticket price, you stand to get thousands of miles for the distance you fly. (Of course, this depends on where you're based...many more miles if flying from the USA to Moscow, for instance, than if you're originating in Europe.) Typically (though with many exceptions and caveats), you accrue one mile to your airline account for each mile you fly in economy, and more if in business or first class.
3. BUT sometimes airline partners only give partial or even no miles for discount economy tickets. You'd want to check with DL to find out how many miles you'd accrue if you fly on Aeroflot. Best to know the booking code or at least the general type of air fare - discounted economy or full fare economy, for instance - in asking this question.
4. AND I imagine there's a small chance that buying via Travelocity could complicate matters even further, though I've never dealt with them so I am just guessing here.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by mia
You also must purchase a qualifying fare code. Read the rules here:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-airlines.html

I encourage you to research this aspect in the Delta forum. Credit for partner flights is a very technical area, and buying the ticket though a travel agency, such as Travelocity, makes it more complicated because you may not be able to see the fare code at time of booking.
Yes, this is exactly the page that I viewed before I posted here, though it will be difficult to know what code I'll be getting on Travelocity.
Actually, it's difficult to know if I'll be getting full accrual even if I buy from Aeroflot, since the price for airfare to Moscow that I mentioned is for their "bargain" option.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If you purchase the ticket through the Travelocity portal on the Ultimate Rewards Mall you will earn:

1 point for spending a dollar
1 point for purchasing airfare (Chase Sapphire Preferred)
2 points (nearly*) for using Travelocity's portal

*Travelocity will not award any points on the taxes or fees included in the fare, which can be a substantial portion on a longhaul flight.

I cannot say if the ticket you purchase through Travelocity will be eligible to earn SkyMiles, or miles in any other airline program. This will depend on the exact fare bucket and the rules of the Skymiles or other airline program. You should research that aspect separately. Using the UR Mall is irrelevant, but using Travelocity is critical.
Part of me just wants to make it simple and book on Aeroflot's site before the only choice I have left is expensive, crappy seats.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Part of me just wants to make it simple and book on Aeroflot's site before the only choice I have left is expensive, crappy seats.
You know, the other advantage of booking directly via Aeroflot is that if there are any problems with the ticket or flights down the line you can deal with the airline directly rather than through third party Travelocity.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:38 pm

As for Delta miles...

1. For most airlines (though again, I'm not familiar with Delta's program), you normally don't accrue the miles for the ticket purchase price. It's for the miles you fly.
2. SO this might actually be good news for you. Instead of hundreds of points for the ticket price, you stand to get thousands of miles for the distance you fly. (Of course, this depends on where you're based...many more miles if flying from the USA to Moscow, for instance, than if you're originating in Europe.) Typically (though with many exceptions and caveats), you accrue one mile to your airline account for each mile you fly in economy, and more if in business or first class.
3. BUT sometimes airline partners only give partial or even no miles for discount economy tickets. You'd want to check with DL to find out how many miles you'd accrue if you fly on Aeroflot. Best to know the booking code or at least the general type of air fare - discounted economy or full fare economy, for instance - in asking this question.
4. AND I imagine there's a small chance that buying via Travelocity could complicate matters even further, though I've never dealt with them so I am just guessing here.
You bring up a very good point. I forgot about being credited for actual miles flown, rather than the cost of the ticket (sorry, I'm kind of a newbie at this).
In this case, I should do well, (even if I am only credited 25% of miles flown) since I will be flying New York to Moscow!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:42 pm

You know, the other advantage of booking directly via Aeroflot is that if there are any problems with the ticket or flights down the line you can deal with the airline directly rather than through third party Travelocity.
Yes! This is exactly why I want to book directly with Aeroflot.
I've had issues in the past with an airline or two, but had to deal with third-party websites, which were very inflexible, and made the whole ordeal very frustrating.
I think I best not be greedy, and be happy with the 2X points I'll get by booking this flight on my CSP card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.