Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking flights, rooms & cars using Chase U.R. [consolidated]

Booking flights, rooms & cars using Chase U.R. [consolidated]

Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
While my query was related to finding out about maximizing UR points while not sacrificing miles/points/perks I'd ordinarily get from airlines and miles, I must stay that in starting to noodle around the UR mall my experience with car rental quotes has been similarly positive.

Also...

Originally Posted by fly4red
Booked an international flight on United through Sapphire UR travel portal and charged it in full to Sapphire (cash). The cost of the ticket and the choice of flights was identical as with United directly. I was mostly motivated to have a comprehensive trip insurance which comes with Sapphire. I received 2 points/$ statement bonus as a standard Sapphire travel reward, but the UR mall transaction is still showing 0 points. I contacted Chase about it and learned that UR bonus points will post after my trip concludes - some 4 month later.... I hope it will, but not sure how many....
Huh? I wasn't even aware of this Sapphire feature. Glad you mentioned it. Is it simply included by virtue of using the card, or do you pay extra as you would for other travel insurance?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Huh? I wasn't even aware of this Sapphire feature. Glad you mentioned it. Is it simply included by virtue of using the card, or do you pay extra as you would for other travel insurance?
You should be covered as long as you charge the entire amount to your card. See here for a more complete listing of what the CSP card offers.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 4:10 am

Programs: MileagePlus
I used the CSP for my NRT to JAX flight which I did by going through Orbitz and I got 2X points plus 1X plus the flight miles...which is roughly 20,000 MP
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by dc333
I'm batting 100% (2 for 2) with finding better cash pricing via the UR travel site than directly from the providers or even search sites.

I just booked a 1 week economy car rental in HI for January at $195 AI through the UR portal. The cheapest (and identical) rental from thrifty directly is $531, and all agencies on Kayak is $400+.

My second search for the Sheraton Keauhou Bay came in at $135/nt whereas sheraton directly wants $189. Not ready to book the hotel yet but this is a great sign.

One negative I've seen in both examples is little to no explanation of the specific rate policies. Only a generic fine print from the Chase travel provider that never changes. I do like being shown my booking options in both UR points (which I'd rarely be interested in using) and the cash rates.
does the UR travel site charge the full amount immediately for a car rental? is it refundable? i just got the sapphire a few weeks ago and i'm thinking about using the UR mall for my rental in january because, like you, it's much cheaper than anywhere else...
Old Nov 27, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), HH (Diamond), SPG (Platinum), HGP (Diamond), National Car (Exec Elite)

My second search for the Sheraton Keauhou Bay came in at $135/nt whereas sheraton directly wants $189. Not ready to book the hotel yet but this is a great sign.
If UR is anything like Amex Rewards (which I am more familiar with right now), then you will NOT get any SPG points for your stay at the Sheraton. You WILL get elite privileges (like upgrade) based on your elite status with SPG, but no points, no stay credit, no night credit.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by funtrainsf
If UR is anything like Amex Rewards (which I am more familiar with right now), then you will NOT get any SPG points for your stay at the Sheraton. You WILL get elite privileges (like upgrade) based on your elite status with SPG, but no points, no stay credit, no night credit.
I had several questions regarding the UR program and I spoke to a representative with Ur and she answered them all.

When you use UR pts to buy a plane ticket, you will receive all of your elite benefits as well as mileage flown for the trip. The transaction of UR pts takes place on "UR's side" and it represents a dollar value in the airlines eyes...OR for hotels as well.

All the merchant sees is a purchase from the UR reservations department to cover those flight/hotel costs...if it was covered via UR pts or not is irrelevant in the merchant's eyes. All they see is that the costs for the flight/hotel was covered.

So using UR pts for airfare or hotel, you will get pts/mileage in the same fashion as if you purchased it normally with cash/credit/debit etc. I didn't ask about rental cars, but i imagine its the same.

That was music to my ears...this is what i was told

Can you anyone confirm or deny these statements? I hope she told me correct information...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: lots of little things
Originally Posted by crackers8199
does the UR travel site charge the full amount immediately for a car rental? is it refundable? i just got the sapphire a few weeks ago and i'm thinking about using the UR mall for my rental in january because, like you, it's much cheaper than anywhere else...
They do seem to charge in full at the time of booking, but is refundable per the t&c's of my rate. The terms weren't crystal clear but did say that cancellations within 2 days of pickup would incur a charge equal to one days rental cost, so I assumed refundable up until 48 hrs prior.

Being 2 months prior still, I went ahead and cancelled over the phone yesterday. They're processing the refund now and reservation has been cancelled. ^
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:57 am

Fair enough, I would have gone in assuming this anyway since it's pre-paid via a third party. It would be completely worth it in this scenario. Plus, there are many times when it ends up crediting anyway.

If the UR csr was correct in that it would earn credit, that would just be a pleasant surprise.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), HH (Diamond), SPG (Platinum), HGP (Diamond), National Car (Exec Elite)
Again, not familiar with UR, but assume it is like AR.

She is completely correct regarding flights. ALL benefits honored.

I question her intel on hotels. I booked a hotel via AR and got nothing. If you book a hotel through AR you are prepaying the room from a third prty which all hotel programs say ones not get you points/stays/nights.

Regardless, I have not tried anything with UR, but learned AR stuff the hard way.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 1:13 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

My experience is that US airlines give you miles/points regardless of where you book, with the exception of opaque booking sites like Priceline.

Hotels, however, only give you points or credits for the night if you book through them.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Again, not familiar with UR, but assume it is like AR.

She is completely correct regarding flights. ALL benefits honored.

I question her intel on hotels. I booked a hotel via AR and got nothing. If you book a hotel through AR you are prepaying the room from a third prty which all hotel programs say ones not get you points/stays/nights.

Regardless, I have not tried anything with UR, but learned AR stuff the hard way.
Good to hear. I book all my hotels through my companies travel site and I always get the points. I've never booked via the UR using UR pts where I would essentially "pay in advance". If I do it in the future, I will post the results!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:27 am

They do seem to charge in full at the time of booking, but is refundable per the t&c's of my rate. The terms weren't crystal clear but did say that cancellations within 2 days of pickup would incur a charge equal to one days rental cost, so I assumed refundable up until 48 hrs prior.

Being 2 months prior still, I went ahead and cancelled over the phone yesterday. They're processing the refund now and reservation has been cancelled. ^
As a follow up to the "pre-paid, but refundable" UR portal car rental experience, my refund posted ~24 hours after calling to cancel.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
I am glad this thread was posted because I have some questions too. I am looking to book the Grand Hyatt Kauai in February. So I was going to book through the UR mall through Orbitz to get the extra 1 UR point per dollar plus the 2 pts on my Sapphire card. I've checked and the price on Orbitz is the same as offered on the Hyatt website. If I do this, would I be able to use one of my Diamond suite upgrades?

Or another option is to use my UR points (as long as the room is the same price, I'm not sure yet) and if I went this route, would I be able to use a suite upgrade?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
I'm going to Kona in January and was also able to find a great deal on a car. Not sure about your dates, but I saw AAvacations.com had the Sheraton Keauhou for $110/night on dates I needed.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Ultimate Rewards Mall Flight Warning

I tried to book a trip BDA-RDU.

On Orbitz I found the routing I wanted (well, not that I wanted but that I was willing to accept), which was a multi-carrier hop.

So I tried to go to Ultimate Rewards, to get the extra bonus points. (I think you get 2x on CSP for travel plus 2x for UR Mall, which is better than 3X Amex for airfare.)

However I could not book the multi-carrier trip. Also, looking at other flight options, there was a routing on JetBlue that was $510 on Orbitz, and $548 on UR.

So be very careful before booking on the UR Mall - you might not get the best routings or fares.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.