Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking flights, rooms & cars using Chase U.R. [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking flights, rooms & cars using Chase U.R. [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:31 am

When does card transaction post if you book hotels through Hotels.com via UR Mall?

I am trying to clear a 3k minimum spend on the Chase Sapphire Preferred card.
Last night I booked 3 hotels in Moscow and St. Petersburg, Russia, using this card through Chase Ultimate Rewards Mall on Hotels.com.
Will this activity immediately go towards my 3k minimum spend, or will I have to wait until I actually check into the hotels in May, 2013?
As you know, I have to charge 3k on this card within 3 months to get the bonus points, so if I only get credited when I check in to my hotels in May, it will be too late.

Last edited by joer1212; Dec 21, 2012 at 10:37 am
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
You get credit when the charges are actually processed by Chase and hit your credit card account. Same as any other credit card.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by deant
You get credit when the charges are actually processed by Chase and hit your credit card account. Same as any other credit card.
Yes, but when is this? Is it when I book my hotels online, or when I actually check in at the hotels?
Does Hotels.com actually take the money from the credit cards as soon as I book, or will the money be taken when I arrive at the hotel?
In other words, I "booked" my hotels last night, and gave Hotels.com my credit card info. Will they now charge the credit card in full, or will they wait until May, when I check into these hotels in order to charge me?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread transferred from MilesBuzz! to Credit Card Programs. Title revised to specify question.

Booking through the Ultimate Rewards Mall does not change the posting date of the credit card transaction. If you booked a "prepaid" stay through hotels.com you may already be able to see the pending transaction in your card account on chase.com . If you booked a "postpaid" stay your card will not be charged until the date of the stay. If you do not know which type of stay you booked, ask hotels.com customer service.

Last edited by mia; Dec 21, 2012 at 11:10 am
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by joer1212
Yes, but when is this? Is it when I book my hotels online, or when I actually check in at the hotels?
Does Hotels.com actually take the money from the credit cards as soon as I book, or will the money be taken when I arrive at the hotel?
In other words, I "booked" my hotels last night, and gave Hotels.com my credit card info. Will they now charge the credit card in full, or will they wait until May, when I check into these hotels in order to charge me?
Would seem to depend on what type of rate you booked. Nonrefundable? Then, the charge will probably be made now. Refundable? Probably only upon check in (or maybe even check out depending on how the individual hotel handles it).

Either way, I'm not sure I'd rely on such charges in order to meet my minimum spending requirements.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:12 am
mia

Most Hotels.com bookings are pre-paid and therefore charged at the time of booking. This is so that we can continue to offer these low rates to our customers. If you have selected and booked a Welcome Rewards-eligible property, as designated by the Welcome Rewards logo, your booking will be pre-paid and charged at the time of booking.

Some properties offer bookings that can be paid later at the hotel or with a deposit at the time of booking. For booking paid with a deposit, you can make a partial payment at the time of booking and pay the remaining balance when you check in or check out.

For bookings paid for at the hotel, you need to provide your credit card information at the time of booking to guarantee your reservation. You will be charged at the hotel when you check in or check out. Not all properties offer this payment option at this time.
http://service.hotels.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1131
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:23 am

Thank you much for this info. I am glad to hear this.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:38 am
mia

Originally Posted by joer1212
Thank you much for this info. I am glad to hear this.
Have you looked on chase.com to see if the transaction is already pending?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
When does card transaction post if you book hotels through Hotels.com via UR Mall?

Hotels.com gives you the option (usually, depends on the hotel) of paying when you book online or when you arrive. I booked 2 weeks in Dublin and opted to pay it forward to help hit a spend requirement. Also, don't forget your free night after 10 stays!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
I booked a stay through the UR Mall on hotels.com and here are the dates of the transactions:

10/20 - booked the hotel

10/22 - the charge posted on my CSP. This was a 100% pre-paid booking (this was a refundable booking so that didn't affect the posting)

11/10 - 11/12 checked in, provided CSP for incidentals.

11/14 - charges for incidentals at the hotel posted to my CSP.

11/16 - UR Mall Points posted
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Have you looked on chase.com to see if the transaction is already pending?
Yes, I just checked, and all of the charges I made to the hotels are pending.

Last edited by joer1212; Dec 22, 2012 at 12:13 am
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by augustus21
Hotels.com gives you the option (usually, depends on the hotel) of paying when you book online or when you arrive. I booked 2 weeks in Dublin and opted to pay it forward to help hit a spend requirement. Also, don't forget your free night after 10 stays!
Yes, I was thrilled to get the free night, but, the funny thing is that I received a free night when I only booked hotels for a total of 9 nights. Not that I'm complaining, but am I missing something here?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by SquarePeg
I booked a stay through the UR Mall on hotels.com and here are the dates of the transactions:

10/20 - booked the hotel

10/22 - the charge posted on my CSP. This was a 100% pre-paid booking (this was a refundable booking so that didn't affect the posting)

11/10 - 11/12 checked in, provided CSP for incidentals.

11/14 - charges for incidentals at the hotel posted to my CSP.

11/16 - UR Mall Points posted

Looks like a scenario straight out of a movie, where everything is ideal and falls perfectly into place.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:46 pm

By the way, now that I have booked my hotels indirectly (through Hotels.com), can I count on one of these hotels to type me a letter of invitation?
Also, I want my invitation letter to be for the full 30 days allowed for a tourist visa, lest I get delayed. Will one of these hotels provide me (even at a cost) with a letter beyond the dates I'm staying with them? I'm thinking that an invitation letter from May 5th (date of my departure from New York) to June 3rd (exactly 30 days later) would be ideal.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 5:27 am

20% if paying w. points, and the cash prices are comparatively low. I'm wondering if anyone has been charged substantial "local taxes and fees" such as airport fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.