Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official: UR hotel/airline xfer only to self/spouse/domestic partner

Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is for discussion of issues with transfers of UR points to someone else's hotel or airline loyalty program account.

There is a separate thread to discuss transfers of UR points directly into someone else's UR account: Chase closed my Sapphire Preferred account due to transfers to other UR accounts.
Print Wikipost

Official: UR hotel/airline xfer only to self/spouse/domestic partner

Old Dec 7, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Originally Posted by Brendan
Thanks for those link, Philemer, but my question remains: Why does or should Chase give a hoot??

Brendan,

With all due respect (your 5,000+ posts ^)....what kind of a question is that?

While I strongly disagree with what Chase is doing, why they decided is not really the issue.

But how they execute their plan is what impacts us.

Will they Block the transfer?
Will they Block it AND keep the points?
Will they Block it AND close your account?
Will they Block it warn you?
Will they Allow the transfer, but warn you?
Will they Allow the transfer, but close your account?
What about authorized users?
What about people with different last names, addresses ect...?

Several of these questions have been answered in some of the mentioned cross threads...But many questions are still not clear for a certainty.

But "why" they changed - who cares? They did, and it sucks, so we need to fully understand the "new" rules of the UR transfers...
Old Dec 8, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
True, Tasnam, we must learn to deal with Chase's rules, but I still maintain my right to say that said rules are idiotically self-defeating & butt into something that is none of Chase's business. Chase pays UA, Hyatt, etc. the same amount of money no matter whose account the miles are transferred to.
Chase obviously wants us to get their Visa cards, as evidenced by the giant sign-up bonuses. So if 1000s of us cancel our cards next year, it's a wasted effort on Chase's part!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA lifetime platinum, Jet Blue Mosaic
Originally Posted by UA Fan
This is a significant devaluation in my book. Wonder if Amex has started a similar thing.
Why???
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by kayjay
Why???
A huge amount of flexibility is lost.

I agree. Worth much less. I can't top off friends and extended family accounts.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
A huge amount of flexibility is lost.

I agree. Worth much less. I can't top off friends and extended family accounts.
I suspect the change is to crack down on those selling their UR to third parties. If, for example, you owned a booking service, and could gin up cheap URs by paying for them at discounted prices, and were then apply them to high value redemptions (like first class flights/5 star hotels), you could make a fine bit of extra cash...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by farwest101
I suspect the change is to crack down on those selling their UR to third parties. If, for example, you owned a booking service, and could gin up cheap URs by paying for them at discounted prices, and were then apply them to high value redemptions (like first class flights/5 star hotels), you could make a fine bit of extra cash...

This is from a post on Fatwallet earlier this year for those who may doubt that people are selling their URs for cash...

bluegreenturtle
Tired Member

5 more
rated: posted: Jan. 19, 2012 @ 1:58p
People have offered and gotten as much as 1.5c per point. I sold some to a very nice Indian fellow for 1.3c. We chatted on the phone for 2 minutes while I transferred the points and he paypal'ed me."

There are more who offer to buy URs on FW (and on SD etc etc). I suspect they are the ones being targeted...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by farwest101
There are more who offer to buy URs on FW (and on SD etc etc). I suspect they are the ones being targeted...
And therefore the rest of us need to suffer.... Unfair.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Just a data point. I transferred 54K UR points from my cousin's account to my United account this afternoon. The transfer went without a hitch and so far there haven't been any consequences fro either of us. I am an authorized user on his account, though.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 4:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Perfect. Thanks for that info. It helps to know "maybe" being an authorized user is the key.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mnscout
Just a data point. I transferred 54K UR points from my cousin's account to my United account this afternoon. The transfer went without a hitch and so far there haven't been any consequences fro either of us. I am an authorized user on his account, though.
Please keep us informed if something does occur with Chase. I have only done transfers to authorized user accounts, but that was before Chase made these terms official.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by amolkold
Please keep us informed if something does occur with Chase. I have only done transfers to authorized user accounts, but that was before Chase made these terms official.
By "occur" you mean if they give me a boot? So far KOTW (knock on the wood).
Old Dec 14, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mnscout
By "occur" you mean if they give me a boot? So far KOTW (knock on the wood).
Yes, that is what I mean
Old Jan 5, 2013, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
My wife and I currently have the Sapphire and the Ink.

I have had no issue at any time with moving all our points from all cards into one acct. So we combined them, doing so always online, into one.

Over the holiday my brother was with us and found himself short like 30k UA on an award he needed. He had depleted his UA acct after doing like 3 flights recently and needed anew.

I called Chase and spoke to an agent and was able to have the agent easily transfer 30k of my UR to my brother's acct. I just needed his name and UA acct number. Transfer went through immediately.

The CSR said, and I quote "Well sir, yes, one can transfer one's UR points to anyone's UA acct so long as you provide use with their name and acct number."

I don't have further information (I did take his name, etc) and I have only performed this activity this one time with someone other than my spouse but in the same family, but I suppose this means we may have conflicting info on here--OR Chase has elected to put some souls on the fire for whatever they may consider as 'not good' for whatever reason, and once you're marked you are marked. I dunno. Just thought I'd share this.

MM

Last edited by Marathon Man; Jan 5, 2013 at 5:04 am
Old Jan 16, 2013, 4:38 pm

Transferred 80K from my mom's account to my brother's account. Same last name and same household. My brother only carries UA Mileage Plus card and is not an authorized user.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:11 pm

So basically we could at least conclude at this point that transferring to an authorized user's partner account is fine. Otherwise we would've heard something by now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.