Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Any reason to get Freedom Flex if you have Sapphire Preferred & live outside USA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any reason to get Freedom Flex if you have Sapphire Preferred & live outside USA?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2022, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, Hilton

Hello,

I just applied for Chase Sapphire Preferred card and was approved. But I am seeing on some blogs and things that some people are recommending to have both of the cards, I am not understanding why.

In addition, I already have a Marriott Bonvoy and a UnitedPlus Explorer card. Both from Chase, and both with annual fees. I am thinking I might need to cancel one, as that is nearly $300 in fees every year and I only travel about once or twice a year, and have never used the rewards yet.

Looking forward to hearing some opinions. I have a bunch of other credit cards too, that are most likely useless.
Old May 6, 2022, 8:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelerguru
Hello,

I just applied for Chase Sapphire Preferred card and was approved. But I am seeing on some blogs and things that some people are recommending to have both of the cards, I am not understanding why.

In addition, I already have a Marriott Bonvoy and a UnitedPlus Explorer card. Both from Chase, and both with annual fees. I am thinking I might need to cancel one, as that is nearly $300 in fees every year and I only travel about once or twice a year, and have never used the rewards yet.

Looking forward to hearing some opinions. I have a bunch of other credit cards too, that are most likely useless.
Freedom depending which one youre talking about has bonus cats and some Q promos. So where youd earn 1 pt with SAP you can earn more then that depending on the cat with Free

I dont know your #s, but whenever I get a new Chase CC I call up and tell thgem I dont want any more credit instead to please take it from an existing card or that I want to close Card A and please apply it to the card I now want.

w/o knowing what you charge amount wise and cat wise I cant tell you what to CX, 2 people flying UA together = 1 free bag each , each way or $240 , if you dont travel with bags then its not important. With MR going dynamic soon it probably will mean a boat load of pts for a nothing along the hway.and I believe MR is apart of SAP not that Id blow my worthy pts that way just in a fix I could, or use the UR pts and have a rev stay which will probably take alot less pts then using MRs own pts.
Old May 6, 2022, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Well, I was talking about the Flex card with no annual fee, as I don't want to pay for anymore cards.

Also, I now have five chase cards. All the other four cards were opened years and years ago, more than their 5/25 policy. But they told me that Chase limits us to five cards, but I am sure if I talk to a different rep, then I will get a different answer, but for rewards, it seems I am limited now until two years later, but I would have to call to confirm that again. But your suggestion is noted, thank you for that.

One of the biggest problems is that I live outside the US. So the only things I use US credit cards for is buying things in the US to import where I live. I buy a lot of things from online drug stores and food items as well as travel expenses. Amazon also. Some other book stores and whoever will actually ship overseas.

No gas obviously, restaurants only when travel. So I have a lot of cash cards, Amazon 3%, Capital one 1.5% another one 2%, but I am learning I have been very very stupid, I should not be using those cash back cards because the points earned from United, Marriott cards and now the Sapphire card seems that I will earn much more value than using the cash back cards. So.. I am considering to either cancel the Amazon card or do what you said, ask them to take credit from other cards.

I fly international usually, domestic flights are usually together with the international flights, so bag count is not really worrisome for me. And all other flights are outside the US and I 50% of the time use US cards to buy those tickets or use local cards depending on what airlines I am flying.

And Marriott I am collecting for next trip. United points will be used on an international business class seat someday.

Actually I have so many questions as I am started to realize really how stupid I have been over the years not paying for a card like SAP to put all my travel costs on rather than getting cash back. I am kicking myself. I am reading how people are traveling around the world free and very very often by utilizing this system..
Old May 6, 2022, 12:05 pm

Well, I was talking about the Flex card with no annual fee, as I don't want to pay for anymore cards.

Also, I now have five chase cards. All the other four cards were opened years and years ago, more than their 5/25 policy. But they told me that Chase limits us to five cards, but I am sure if I talk to a different rep, then I will get a different answer
Hoping someone can confirm, but I don't believe Chase has a firm limit on personal cards. I currently have 5 personal cards and 2 small business, but I am pretty sure that some people have 7-8 personal Chase cards.

I believe Amex actually enforces the 5 card limit, across business and personal, for most customers.

Just as an example, the category for the current quarter on the Freedom Flex is Amazon.com (and possibly the international domains), so the Flex would earn 5 points per dollar vs just 1 for the CSP.

I am currently using my Flex as my preferred Lyft card, since it earns 5X on those charges.

If Chase actually does have a 5 card limit, would I pick the Flex at the expense of another card, probably not, but it has no annual fee and can be a solid point earner on the 5% categories. Good Luck.
Old May 6, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond , Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Chase doesn’t have 5 cards limit - I currently have 6 personal cards.
Old May 6, 2022, 1:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold

Also, I now have five chase cards. All the other four cards were opened years and years ago, more than their 5/25 policy. But they told me that Chase limits us to five cards,
1) None of the Freedom cards have an annual fee, but all of them assess a 3% Foreign Transaction Fee.

2) Chase's unpublished 5/24 policy does not refer to the number of Chase cards. It refers to the total number of personal credit cards, from all issuers, opened in the last 24 months. Chase has no known limit on the number of cards a person can hold, but the aggregate credit limit does matter.
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your feedback on this. I will be posting other questions in new threads if I cannot find answers. Thanks agian.

It seems to me there really seems no reason to get the Freedom card... At least not right now...
onetouchpass likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.