Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom 5% Bonus Gas Stations [which sell giftcards]

Chase Freedom 5% Bonus Gas Stations [which sell giftcards]

Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by t325
Ugh, found a 7-11 near my house that had OVGCs. I took one up to the cashier who didn't speak much English and asked if I can buy it with a credit card, and he said he'll try it and see. Asked to load $500. He seemed to have no clue what he was doing. He swiped the package on the reader in his side, then I don't know what he did, but the itemized list on the PIN pad on my side had "Lotto Sale - $500" and no $4.95 activation fee. I asked him what that was about, he was unsure, so I ended it right there. I was worried I'd end up paying $500 for nothing. Guess I'll need to come back when someone else is working there. This 7/11 didn't sell gas so there was a chance it wouldn't code as gas and give me my 5x anyways.

What's the proper procedure though? Do they swipe the OV package, or scan the barcode?
IIRC the OV sold at 7-11 only has meg strip, no bar code. So it has to be swiped to activate it.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 19, 2015 at 7:47 pm
Old Jul 19, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Had success with Paypal My Cash Cards at the 7-11 on 2098 Pennington Rd, Trenton, NJ 08618
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Songer5
Had success with Paypal My Cash Cards at the 7-11 on 2098 Pennington Rd, Trenton, NJ 08618
You must not be planning to use this spot again.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mhdena
You must not be planning to use this spot again.
Nope, I live 2 hours away. But what's the point of this community if we don't share?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:13 pm

In the spirit of "I'm not planning on using this spot again", the 7-Eleven on Metrotech Dr. in Chantilly, VA has the Vanilla Visa Gift cards in the $20-$500 variable denomination, with $4.95 purchase fee. No problem buying $500 with Freedom, purchase has posted as a gas station with 5% bonus. Cards were easily liquidated at the local Target to load RedBird.

I also saw a few of these up to $500 VGCs at a 7-Eleven on Sudley in Manassas.

Note that these are not the OneVanilla or MyVanilla reloadable cards, but the regular gift cardsl They are in glittery silver packaging.

As was reported earlier in the thread, unlike many other VGCs (like at Bed Bath and Beyond or Staples), these packages do not have a tab to tear off with a barcode underneath to scan and activate, instead, they have a mag stripe on the back of the package that the cashier will swipe to activate.

I hope this helps.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:30 am

I went to a 7/11 connected to a gas station and another speedway mart.

Both denied me for trying to use a credit card to buy a prepaid visa / reloadable visa.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:19 am

cumb'land farms on Rte 1/295 in/around Brunswick, ME take credit card for PPMC. hope that helps someone...
Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:52 pm

Is there a universal system for what gc's can be purchased with credit cards and which gc's only do cash?

I need to spend about $500 on Amazon and went to my local Sheetz gas station (North Carolina). They sell $25-500 Amazon giftcards but the manager said any gc with a "value range" is cash only. He said they only take credit card payments for gc's that are a set value. This gas station didn't have a set value Amazon card.

Next, I went to a local BP. They had a $25 Amazon gc but when I got to the register the woman said that was cash only too!

I can't figure out if it's the station's policy or some universal gc policy? Maybe an Amazon gc policy?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:01 pm

Every 7-11I've been to so far that has gcs has let me purchase PPMC and OVs with a cc. I usually use WF.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by avfreedman
Is there a universal system for what gc's can be purchased with credit cards and which gc's only do cash?

I need to spend about $500 on Amazon and went to my local Sheetz gas station (North Carolina). They sell $25-500 Amazon giftcards but the manager said any gc with a "value range" is cash only. He said they only take credit card payments for gc's that are a set value. This gas station didn't have a set value Amazon card.

Next, I went to a local BP. They had a $25 Amazon gc but when I got to the register the woman said that was cash only too!

I can't figure out if it's the station's policy or some universal gc policy? Maybe an Amazon gc policy?
It's station policy.

Bought a $500 OVGC at 7/11 yesterday and had no problem paying with my Chase Freedom.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:45 am

Ahh, thanks t325 - I appreciate the response!

No 7-Eleven close to me but I'll keep searching, now that I know it's a station policy.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
Costco is Amex only. Sams is MasterCard only.
Sams gas station takes Visa too..and it codes as a gas station as well.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: Starwood, Hyatt, Delta, United
No luck at Sheetz buying VL VGCs. POS blocked it.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:51 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I've been driving my Cayenne a lot... does that count?

Last edited by TOMFORD; Aug 3, 2015 at 3:37 pm
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:39 am

Data point for NYC and long island area. 7-11 has OVVGCs but every one I've been to rejected CC load. I finally found a speedway gas station in Westbury, 11590 which accepted CC for OVVGC. The only problem was that they have only 20-200 OVVGCs. There were Paypal/Greendot/Netspend packs on the shelf but I didn't try those. Bought 7 OVVGCs and loaded to RB.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.