Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom 5% Bonus Gas Stations [which sell giftcards]

Chase Freedom 5% Bonus Gas Stations [which sell giftcards]

Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Is is for sure you'll get 5% on gas cards? There's a Shell by me that gives $0.10 off for using cash/gift card. If I walk in and buy a $100 gas gift card with my Freedom, then I could use it and get $0.10 off too.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 6:27 pm

If I'm not mistaken, they have 7-11 in OKC. I'm not sure if that helps you at all, but I remember seeing them there. It may be too far for you to consider. However, there may be another one closer but I can't help you with that.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 1:27 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kdoughboy
Wow, great tool. Just found out the 7-11s in my area (of which there are many) are classified the same as gas stations, so I should be able to load up on merchant GCs there. Thanks for the link!
A coffee shop I frequent is classified as a gas station . And this is a rather "fancier" venue (that also serves wine).
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Has anyone successfully purchased a gift card from 7/11 with a credit card. The ones around here (San Diego) all classify as gas stations on my Chase statements, even though they don't sell gas anymore. But when I tried buying gift cards with my Freedom Card the clerk told me 7/11 has a "no credit cards for gift card purchases" policy. It may have just been one clerks version of company policy and I'll probably try again, but has anyone actually really successfully completed a gift card purchase at 7/11 and if so where. That they have gift cards, doesn't do much good if they wont let you pay for them with a credit card.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
Has anyone successfully purchased a gift card from 7/11 with a credit card. The ones around here (San Diego) all classify as gas stations on my Chase statements, even though they don't sell gas anymore. But when I tried buying gift cards with my Freedom Card the clerk told me 7/11 has a "no credit cards for gift card purchases" policy. It may have just been one clerks version of company policy and I'll probably try again, but has anyone actually really successfully completed a gift card purchase at 7/11 and if so where. That they have gift cards, doesn't do much good if they wont let you pay for them with a credit card.
I had the same experience up here in the SF Bay Area
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
And that's my whole point in starting this thread. Where are there stores coded as Gas Stations that:
a) Have Visa/Amex/MC Gift/Reload Cards and
b) That let you use your Freedom Card to buy them?

2 places I've found: Few. And Far Between!
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Preacher7
And that's my whole point in starting this thread. Where are there stores coded as Gas Stations that:
a) Have Visa/Amex/MC Gift/Reload Cards and
b) That let you use your Freedom Card to buy them?

2 places I've found: Few. And Far Between!
You can forget about reloadable cards. Go on the Vanilla site you can find out where such cards are distributed - gas stations would not be on the short list you will find.

My guess is, one of the reasons why gas stations dont sell the "cash equivalent" GCs or even if they do, no CC is accepted for purchase, is because stolen CCs often being tested for their validity at the gas pumps by a small amount of purchase. Once these stolen CCs are tested, the thieves then went on a spending spree... Imagine if they can buy "cash equivalent" cards at the gas station right after they do the test...
Old Jul 14, 2012, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

So with all these difficulties, how do y'all propose to max out the Q3 categories w/o using Freedom to buy GCs? Any creative ideas? We have 3 Freedoms in our house, and $4500 for gas and/or dining out in the next 75 days is not an option!
Old Jul 14, 2012, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
Yes, in YVR, YYC, SEA, YEG, SFO, LAX, MIA, DFW, IAH, TPA, YOW, ICN, NRT, HKG*
* HKG I used Octopus which can be loaded with a CC
* YEG location processes under Petrol Canada

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Jul 14, 2012 at 6:01 pm Reason: disclaimer for HKG, YEG
Old Jul 15, 2012, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Experiment: Buy Gas Station GC. Try to buy Money Order at Gas Station with Gas Station GC. Epic Fail! Not sure what to try now...

Anyone have any successes to speak of?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Yes, in YVR, YYC, SEA, YEG, SFO, LAX, MIA, DFW, IAH, TPA, YOW, ICN, NRT, HKG*
* HKG I used Octopus which can be loaded with a CC
* YEG location processes under Petrol Canada
Not in my experience. I spent almost 2 months in HKG this past Feb. The Octopus can only be loaded with either debit card or cash - whether at the MTR station or at 7-11.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:58 pm

Any tips for NJ on how to find a gas station to max out on the freedom?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:16 pm

Q3 is coming up once again. I live in Portland, OR and can only find $200 VGC. Anyone have any more suggestions or success stories on where to get the $500 VGC at gas stations?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:18 pm

Wawa sells Amazon gift cards. While their footprint isn't widespread, maybe it'll help someone. AGCs seem to have a decent resale value.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Chase Freedom Gas Bonus

Did not find this info here.

Freedom quarterly bonus of 5X is for gasoline this quarter.

Buying gas at Sam's Club or Costco get the 5 X. ?

Thank you.

How to find how a business is coded ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.