Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase CC Experts please help on MP Club and Chase Saphirred Preferred

Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond

Ok, so I have the Explorer I got it in January. I would like to get the Chase Sapphire Preferred because of the No Forex fees and you get bonus points on Travel and Dining ( I do a lot of the latter ) But, I wanted to get the MP Club card because the first year is free and I can actually justify the club portion on it, since I tend to go to the club whenever im traveling. I would like some ideas/insight on what I should do. Although I know that the current offer on the MP Club is free im wondering if there might be a better offer in December.

Also, am I able to change the MP Explorer I currently have into the MP Club? and vice versa in a year or a couple of years down the road if I cant justify having the Club access on there?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 1:56 pm

a) You can switch the UA Club to UA Explorer (and the other way around). However, the card needs to be open for one year. I took them up on the free Club card offer, but had to reapply for a new line because my Explorer card was only open for six months. I am leaving my UA Explorer open until just before the anniversary date.

b) You must submit a new app if you want the fee waived for the first year.

c) I wouldn't expect much else in terms of a bonus alongside the fee waiver. Of course I could be wrong, but I typically haven't seen much better on cards with lounge access.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by am1108
Ok, so I have the Explorer I got it in January. I would like to get the Chase Sapphire Preferred because of the No Forex fees and you get bonus points on Travel and Dining ( I do a lot of the latter ) But, I wanted to get the MP Club card because the first year is free and I can actually justify the club portion on it, since I tend to go to the club whenever im traveling. I would like some ideas/insight on what I should do. Although I know that the current offer on the MP Club is free im wondering if there might be a better offer in December.

Also, am I able to change the MP Explorer I currently have into the MP Club? and vice versa in a year or a couple of years down the road if I cant justify having the Club access on there?
I also wouldn't expect a better deal on the MP Club than what is offered now. I can't seem to see any way that they would need to add additional perks, like a mileage signup bonus or anything of the sort.

Since you got the Explorer in January, you should be able to get a new Chase card by now. I get a personal one about every 3-4 months or so, so assuming you don't have a bunch of other ones right now, you should be able to get approved with little hassle on one of the personal cards.

It's always tough to get approved for two personal card at once without at least having to call the reconsideration line. So, I'd say you have two options:

1. Try for both of them at once, knowing that you'll most likely have get denied at least one of them and have to call the reconsideration line and take your chances with them.

2. Decide which card you value more and get that one now. Then, wait 3 months and apply for the second one. It isn't guaranteed you'll get the second one after waiting three months without hassle, but there is a much better chance than if you tried to get both at once.

If you end up choosing the first route and need some tips on calling reconsideration, let me know. I've had to do it quite a lot recently and am still 100% so far.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Thank You For your insight uncflyer16 , and civico

I guess I will wait on the UA Club card because

1) I have an active UA Club membership that was actually a gift
2) I already have a Chase card beside the Explorer which I think I will probably try to get/transfer it into the Sapphire Preferred.

I really hate to lose the good deal from the UA Club CC , because I know that 1st year free on an Airline Card w/ Club membership is a really great deal. But with the exception of 1.5 miles/dollar I am pretty much getting the same thing with my Explorer + I have UC Membership +and my Silver status on UA (Premier Access benefit,etc.)

Thank You So Much for the insight. I will try to PM if I have any more questions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.