Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Credit line increases / CLI [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is for Chase CLI experiences and questions ONLY. For other card issuers, see this thread:

Credit Limit Increase / CLI - Experiences and Questions [2013-]
Print Wikipost

Chase Credit line increases / CLI [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:08 pm

weird, Ok thanks for the info. I'll call them tonight and report back for anyone else who's interested.
thank you!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:28 pm

well I called them and they said it's not possible. Both the CSP and the business dept said it would have to be a hard pull and a CLI request.

When did you do it? I wonder if they've changed their processes.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by rymetymeuk
well I called them and they said it's not possible. Both the CSP and the business dept said it would have to be a hard pull and a CLI request.

When did you do it? I wonder if they've changed their processes.
About a year ago. Perhaps HUCA one or two more times.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by rymetymeuk
hey guys
i have an Ink Plus with a 5k limit, I had secure messaged Chase to see if I could move some of my CSP limit over to it but that was not possible- they don't permit personal to business CL transfers apparently.

Does anyone have any info on their experience with a CLI on Ink Plus? I would be happy to reduce my CSP CL if needed, but I don't even see a link on the site to request a CLI.

any info is appreciated.
thanks all
When I applied for CIP, they took some of my limits from CSP and Freedom and moved them to the new CIP card.

Not sure why they could not do that for you now.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Trinob
When I applied for CIP, they took some of my limits from CSP and Freedom and moved them to the new CIP card.

Not sure why they could not do that for you now.
Yeah I don't know why either. They said they could reduce my CSP CL but it wouldn't guarantee that they would approve the CLI lol So a hard pull and CL decrease isn't really something I want to risk.

thanks everyone, appreciate the info.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by bribro
I was able to move CL from CSP to Ink Plus. My understanding is you just can't do it the other way (Business to Personal). Try calling.
I surprised that you got them to do that....I always thought that Business cards and personal cards are separate divisions and are totally independent with regards to offers and CL.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:39 pm

[QUOTE=mtftw;20916399]I disagree - my Freedom has had 3x automatic increases since I first received it in 2011.

April 2011 - $500 (first credit card in my name)
October 2011 -$750 - without asking
April 2012 - $1500 - without asking
May 2012 - $10,000 - at my request (to date my largest single CLI)
April 2013 - $12,500 - without asking

Worth noting is that this was my only Chase card from April 2011 until June 2012. My combined exposure is now at 4 cards with a total CL of $39,000. It's also worth noting my income has doubled in that timeframe...so that

I find it hard to believe the increases you received in only two years with them. Especially at the starting credit limit but I will not say you are lying. I just find it really hard to believe. Unless you have a Fico score of over 800 and high limits on your other cards. I just never heard of that before.

You're income has nothing to do with the decision or it's a minor influence. Anyone can state they make double what they actually earn. It's all computerized. In my experience after the last recession. Banks are obviously still extra careful with giving big limits. It was easier before the recession. Chase is the worst, they won't do automatic limits and I know this because I have friends that tell me the same with scores around mine. I have a average fico score of 770. Every other banks besides Chase has increased me automatically every 6 months at my request without calling them. Chase is the only exception. Maybe it's because I don't use the card much as it has terrible rewards and only 1% back. I would like to actually just close it but that will hurt my score. I was thinking of closing it and opening a AMEX card that has a lot more to offer. It's tricky with the Fico calculations. You really don't know whats going on behind the curtain.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:52 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Right at the three month mark from getting my CSP, I got an auto cli from ~$6,000 to ~$11,000
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA/AS/UA; Bonvoy
Thumbs down Hard pull for credit line increase?

I had an interesting conversation on the phone with Chase today - I had called to see if they would increase the credit limit on my CSP, and was told that they would have to do a hard pull in order to do it. I spoke to a supervisor because it seemed quite odd, and she confirmed the policy and said there was no way around it.

Has anyone else had this experience? It seems bizarre to me that they'd have to do a hard pull to process a simple limit increase request. I have stellar credit (including a perfect payment history across all my cards) and I typically hit at least 50% utilization on my CSP, so I'm surprised that they're disincentivizing me from seeking a higher limit.

Either way, an unnecessarily annoying policy.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:04 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Artagnan
... I typically hit at least 50% utilization on my CSP,.
Why do you need a higher limit? This card is a VISA Signature product, with no preset spending limit. You can exceed the stated limit without any penalty, provided you pay off the full amount of the overage in the following cycle.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:44 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I had an interesting conversation on the phone with Chase today - I had called to see if they would increase the credit limit on my CSP, and was told that they would have to do a hard pull in order to do it. I spoke to a supervisor because it seemed quite odd, and she confirmed the policy and said there was no way around it.

Has anyone else had this experience? It seems bizarre to me that they'd have to do a hard pull to process a simple limit increase request. I have stellar credit (including a perfect payment history across all my cards) and I typically hit at least 50% utilization on my CSP, so I'm surprised that they're disincentivizing me from seeking a higher limit.

Either way, an unnecessarily annoying policy.
If you're only spending to 50% of your limit, there's no need for a higher one. If you want to try and get an auto cli, try turning over (spend to the limit, pay off, rinse and repeat) several times during the statement period. That's how I got mine effectively doubled.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:25 am

Its possible but i think it goes by your relationship with Chase.
got a freedom card @ $2,000 limit. They actually called me for a CLI. Got it up to $3,000. few month later, it double to $6,000.

I called in to CLI to $10k, said it requires a Hard Pull, was approved. My credit report never took a hard pull... so YMMV.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:58 am

I spoke to a supervisor because it seemed quite odd, and she confirmed the policy and said there was no way around it.

Has anyone else had this experience? It seems bizarre to me that they'd have to do a hard pull to process a simple limit increase request.
Nothing odd about it. Many creditors require a hard pull for a customer initiated CLI. Chase is one of them.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:56 pm

Just a question: no hard pull on any of the major 3 credit bureaus ?:

Originally Posted by BuBu4
Its possible but i think it goes by your relationship with Chase.
got a freedom card @ $2,000 limit. They actually called me for a CLI. Got it up to $3,000. few month later, it double to $6,000.

I called in to CLI to $10k, said it requires a Hard Pull, was approved. My credit report never took a hard pull... so YMMV.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
A CLI will always require a HP. I believe it's the same for all banks. Just call Chase CS instead and ask to "consolidate" or move your credit limit between 2 cards. There won't be any HPs involved.
Banks usually do periodic reviews of your account with soft pulls involved. Sometimes, they will increase your limit also without a HP. Chase and BOA used to that with me but not anymore.

Regarding getting multiple HPs from the same bank, I've noticed Chase, Citi and BOA are doing HPs from 2 CBs for new apps. Not sure if multiple apps on the same day will trigger HPs from 2 different CBs in the case of Chase and BOA but for Citi, I only did 1 app per day and still ended up with HPs from 2 different CBs.
If you call Reconsideration or when you ask for the status of your app, they will tell you they pulled from a given CB only but then after you check your credit reports, you'll notice you have HPs at 2 CBs. I've noticed Chase and Citi have been pulling EQ and EX. BOA pulls TU and EX. And C1 apparently pulls from all 3 CBs although I haven't applied for anything with them in a while. Amex and Barclays are still pulling only from 1 CB. Not sure if it applies equally across all states.

Has anyone noticed the same about those banks pulling from 2 CBs or is that currently the norm?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.