Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Credit line increases / CLI [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is for Chase CLI experiences and questions ONLY. For other card issuers, see this thread:

Credit Limit Increase / CLI - Experiences and Questions [2013-]
Print Wikipost

Chase Credit line increases / CLI [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:52 am

I've been nearing the limit on one card for the last 3 months and Chase automatically increased the limit on the card.
I didn't call to raise the limit because I was planning on canceling the card shortly, and also the utilization ratio doesn't seem to affect the credit score anyway when I follow it on the monitoring service on a regular basis.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Chase does not normally grant automatic credit line increases. Keeping utilization high is considered more of a risk and makes you less likely to receive a CLI.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
I just called Chase about my Ink Bold charge card, which has no listed limit but there's an underlying limit. That ceiling is actually $30K in my case, good to know. On that card, would credit bureaus report utilization as a percentage of $30K, so that's the best card to put higher spending on if you're sure you'll pay it off in full?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by Explore
I just called Chase about my Ink Bold charge card, which has no listed limit but there's an underlying limit. That ceiling is actually $30K in my case, good to know. On that card, would credit bureaus report utilization as a percentage of $30K, so that's the best card to put higher spending on if you're sure you'll pay it off in full?
As far as I know there is no such thing as utilization for charge cards as they are paid off every month - check your credit report, most likely the charge card will show up with no credit limit reported.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Explore
The Ink Bold card is a business card and is not reported on your credit report. This applies for the Ink Plus and any other business cards as well.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by augustus21
Chase does not normally grant automatic credit line increases. Keeping utilization high is considered more of a risk and makes you less likely to receive a CLI.
That's only if you have like one card and use it to the max.
If you have like five Chase cards and use up only one of them, then Chase does give an automatic credit line increase like mine.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by mainbill
I've been nearing the limit on one card for the last 3 months and Chase automatically increased the limit on the card.
Similar experience. Two months of spending near my 7.5K line on my United card and all of a sudden my line way 17.5K.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mainbill
I didn't call to raise the limit because I was planning on canceling the card shortly, and also the utilization ratio doesn't seem to affect the credit score anyway when I follow it on the monitoring service on a regular basis.
Utilization does have an impact. You want your balances low.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by augustus21
I disagree - my Freedom has had 3x automatic increases since I first received it in 2011.

April 2011 - $500 (first credit card in my name)
October 2011 -$750 - without asking
April 2012 - $1500 - without asking
May 2012 - $10,000 - at my request (to date my largest single CLI)
April 2013 - $12,500 - without asking

Worth noting is that this was my only Chase card from April 2011 until June 2012. My combined exposure is now at 4 cards with a total CL of $39,000. It's also worth noting my income has doubled in that timeframe...so that might have something to do with it. Normal util on the Freedom is around 40% or so, paid off in full every month a few days before the statement cuts.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

My UA card CL just soared. I used it quite a bit at the end of last year to try to hit the 25K in spend/bonus 10K miles. I've ramped down my spend on that card since Jan 1, but the huge increase came without notification or fanfare in April.

When Citi increased my CL, I got a fancy gold notice in the mail so they were sure that I knew just how special that makes me!
Old Jun 14, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
My original Chase card was a AAA Chase card, and the credit limit somewhere around $5k. One month I spent $4k, and the limit spontaneously increased to $10.5k. The card was converted into a CSP, and I nearly maxed it out (went over $10k and within $500 of the limit) on a 3 week business trip overseas. No spontaneous limit increase that time, but when I called Chase to investigate why I wasn't getting UR points the next month, the rep offered to up the limit. I got immediate approval for over $20k.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I have the chase freedom with 3k limit. I plan to pay off entire balance before the statement cuts each month. On certain months I may approach the limit. Is it better to pay the balance down over the course of the month (so at no time do I even come close to approaching the limit) or as long as I pay the balance off before the statement cuts am I just as likely to get considered for an auto cli?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 1:21 pm

CSP CLI Pending 5-7 Days...

I called to ask for a CLI and was told that my request would have to be reviewed by a credit analyst and I would be notified of their decision by mail in 5-7 days.. Anyone have any idea how these tend to work out with Chase? I've had it for about 9 months. Initial limit was 5K then got an auto CLI to 8K after 6 months. No lates, no baddies. I know it was a HP but it's ok. I have 1 inq, credit scores are in good shape. I asked for 20K. I have an Amex BCP at 15K, Amex Platinum, a credit union card with 10K, and good ol Discover down at 5.25K. If they don't bite for 20K, will they counter offer? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Last edited by Robrus1; Jul 28, 2013 at 1:29 pm
Old Jul 28, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
They might deny you, after which you can counter with a smaller increase. What is your income? Debt? These things can help us tell you the likelihood of approval.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:48 pm

No debt other than my car, my house is paid for. My situation is kind of unusual. I'm 31, I received a significant inheritance a few years ago. I reported 55K income, because that is what I make at my job. My girlfriend who is an AU on this card, and lives with me also makes about what I do. I told them 55K but between the two of us it's about double that. My car is two years old and I owe about 14K on it. I put 17K down and have it on auto draft so there aren't any late payments or anything. My income is so so, and I know, but my net worth is pretty high for someone my age. Ialso have had the same employer for about 9 years, AAoA is about 3 years with my oldest card being from 07 which is now closed due to inactivity but I have never paid late. My gf and I spent a week in Europe a few weeks ago and I put close to 4K on my CSP, and paid it off about a week ago. I have run pretty good spend through it since I've had it.

Last edited by Robrus1; Jul 29, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.