Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Credit line increases / CLI [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is for Chase CLI experiences and questions ONLY. For other card issuers, see this thread:

Credit Limit Increase / CLI - Experiences and Questions [2013-]
Print Wikipost

Chase Credit line increases / CLI [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG gold lifer
Originally Posted by apk123
Who do you call to reallocate credit at Chase? General Customer Service?
I called the general # on the back of my sapphire preferred card and got it taken care of by general rep who answered. It was instant and easy for them to take 10K from a card I don't really use (United) to my sapphire preferred.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
So basically consolidating one's credit at Chase can be done without a hard pull, whereas asking for a credit line increase requires a hard pull?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 3:02 pm

Updating Credit Profile with Chase for New Job

------

Last edited by crimsonAA; Nov 14, 2017 at 5:56 am
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:12 pm

As it relates to signup offers/bonuses, you may be better off not requesting a raise. If your prior salary allowed an $X credit line, then your new one may allow $2X. The benefit here is that if you had reached the cap of any bank prior to this, because as far as I know, they do have risk tolerances/limits as it pertains to any single customer in aggregate, this higher salary will enable you to maintain a larger number of credit cards with any given issuer.

You sound knowledgeable and may have already thought through this, so if you really need a higher limit, discuss it with them, but hold off if it isn't really necessary.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by crimsonAA
Hi all,

Is there a way to update one's credit profile with Chase as there is with AmEx? I've changed jobs and am receiving a substantially higher salary, and I'd like to have my credit lines raised without actually doing a hard pull for a CLI. Can I alert them of the change in my income so they can consider an increase when they do their regular account reviews every so often? CSR who answered on the CSP line told me they don't have a way to code that in anywhere, but I wanted to tap FT collective wisdom on this.

Thank you!
With Chase, there is no way to change your employment information or income unless done while applying for a CLI. Your best bet would be noting the change in a future application.
Old May 8, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Credit Limit Increase / CLI - Experiences and Questions [2013-]

Talking to Chase, they said they'd be willing to entertain a credit limit increase after a credit inquiry. Would that be a hard pull or soft pull? Are other banks the same way?
Old May 8, 2013, 9:52 pm

Programs: many
Originally Posted by Explore
Talking to Chase, they said they'd be willing to entertain a credit limit increase after a credit inquiry. Would that be a hard pull or soft pull? Are other banks the same way?
Did you ask chase if is was going to be a hard pull?

If they were not sure, plan for yes.
Old May 9, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton
Getting a CLI from Chase always involved a hard pull for me. I have heard that they will sometimes automatically increase your limit, but I've never experienced that before.
Old May 9, 2013, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by nep301
Getting a CLI from Chase always involved a hard pull for me. I have heard that they will sometimes automatically increase your limit, but I've never experienced that before.
Chase is always a hard pull.

Capital One, Citi, Amex, Discover and sometimes US Bank will do an increase without a hard pull. Generally via the online "Increase my limit." If they ask you for income though its going to be a hard pull
Old May 9, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sjepps
Chase is always a hard pull.
So it's best to do it the same day as an App-o-rama, say...then the credit inquiries might be combined?
Old May 10, 2013, 7:03 am

So it's best to do it the same day as an App-o-rama, say...then the credit inquiries might be combined?
My experience with Chase is that if you're doing an AOR with some Chase cards included AND going to be asking for an increase you need to pick one. Chase won't open new accounts and increase credit limits at the same time. I was limited to one business card and one personal card per day.

Just my experience. YMMV.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:41 pm

Spending Ramp-up: Automatic Credit Line Increase?

For awhile, I haven't been averaging more than $1,000/month on my Chase cards. That's changed in the past couple of months as my spend on some cards increases to $3,000, and may go close to $5,000. Unfortunately, my most generous credit line is $15,000 and I don't want to go over about 15% utilization. I do try to pay off many of the charges before the statement is even issued, but I'm not sure the credit bureaus (at least Experian) are taking that into account.

I don't want to ask Chase for a line increase because that's a hard pull with them. Are they likely to automatically increase the credit limit given a couple more months of this?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:44 pm

If you're paying off your card in full every month, what is your rationale for not wanting to go over 15% utilization?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Pay in the middle of the billing cycle. As long as your balance is low on the reporting day (nearly always the closing day of the billing cycle or immediately thereafter), that is the utilization amount that will report to the credit bureaus.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
For awhile, I haven't been averaging more than $1,000/month on my Chase cards. That's changed in the past couple of months as my spend on some cards increases to $3,000, and may go close to $5,000. Unfortunately, my most generous credit line is $15,000 and I don't want to go over about 15% utilization. I do try to pay off many of the charges before the statement is even issued, but I'm not sure the credit bureaus (at least Experian) are taking that into account.

I don't want to ask Chase for a line increase because that's a hard pull with them. Are they likely to automatically increase the credit limit given a couple more months of this?
Last year, Chase gave me an automatic CLI to $23k+ without any request from me for a CSP that had a ~$15k CL. I don't recall my exact spend, but, ~6 mos. before the CLI, I was definitely spending more (and, possibly, a lot more) than $6k/mo. on it with wedding-related expenses.

From my experience, I don't think $3-$5k spend on a $15k CL will trigger an automatic CLI from Chase since I have another Chase card with ~$15k CL on which I've frequently spent $2k-$6k in billing cycles and there has been no CLI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.