Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase application pending review [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
The thread (and wiki) you should be reading instead of this one is Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015-Present. Do yourself a favor and go there now.
Print Wikipost

Chase application pending review [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:05 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by pritomd
There is no 5-card rule? What? I thought there definitely is a rule. Sure it may not apply to co-branded but the rule is still out there for UR cards, no?
No. The supposed 5-card rule may be a 3-card rule or a 7-card rule or not a rule at all, depending on your relationship with Chase and your persistence. AUs may or may not count. There is no certainty how non-UR cards are or are not affected. Indeed, very little is certain. Reports are skewed and scant. Chase reps will say anything and sometimes nothing, often contradicting each other, and all of which is anecdotal and unofficial. Somehow from this maelstrom springs the "5-card rule" and its dogmatic defenders, readily name-calling those who dissent.

Bottom line: There's nothing official from Chase. Nothing. End of story until there is.

RNE, not a Flat Earther, a Flat Marser.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:18 pm

Hi all,

I created this new account just to "safely" share my experience. It was previously the same as my chase log in

I have 5 CC apps that were all approved in the last 2 years. Mid 2014 last year CSP, and then a Citi, Amex, and two Chase within 3 months of each other this year.

I applied for the Ink business card and was declined. I went into a branch for recon and tl;dr they re-opened the app and it was escalated to a senior financial analyst or w/e they are called (earlier in this thread someone has the right title).

They told me I was denied for the two chase cards I had gotten in the last 3 months. Didn't say anything about any other cards. They went into more detail with me about my business and it turns out that somehow someone else's credit line was pulled by the third party credit reporting agency, and it showed that I had a business line of credit with 90%+ utilization!!!!

They removed it and said "it makes sense that it was an error because you certainly handle your personal credit very well." (zero missed payments, less than 10% credit util, most cards paid off completely).

Then it was escalated to the senior guy quote: "the intention is for approval. it's just that you have $xx.xxx amount of credit and I am unable to make this decision. He will review my notes and if he agrees you will be approved."

Hope that helps guys. No talk about total amount of pulls, no talk about AU's (including AU's I probably have 8+ cards in my name).
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by blitzen
They called yesterday about my SW application from the 1st. Couldn't talk as I was on the ferry.
So I called today and they said it was declined but as for the reason .... To get to the next level person was 10+ minutes hold so I will need to call again. Oh well got LH, Discover and 3 Amex since then
So I called the next day and the credit analyst had a " You applied for a lot of credit recently" my typical " I revamp my credit card wallet every couple of year to fit my spending better. Here my father in law got ill and I will fly SW more often" that got him to " you have high credit limits that you don't use" so I gave the " I just reduced the credit lines by almost half a few month ago. But you can take 5k from my CS card" so he approved me and the card shows up online
Yesterday I got the rejection letter from 6(26 ( day before I spoke to the analyst) stating " too much new credit/ inquiries " and " too much available credit" .....
Just shows a human sometimes can overrule the computer Still weird that they called me when I couldn't talk and then just declined me instead of trying again .....
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:35 pm

Sure seems like a 5 card rule

Turned down for 1st Freedom card even with 800 FICO (only have a united from Chase but also multiple AA apps within 2 years). Letter said too many apps- recon said over 5 anything bad. I am still most upset with Frugal Travel Guy (and Points Guy) when I used his site for app mid June, got denied-took credit hit and they wait till late June to say "there may be a new Chase Rule". Maybe- that is the best advice they can even suggest at the end of June? Hello Amex....
Old Jul 8, 2015, 2:33 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by gregillinois
I am still most upset with Frugal Travel Guy (and Points Guy) when I used his site for app mid June, got denied-took credit hit and they wait till late June to say "there may be a new Chase Rule". Maybe- that is the best advice they can even suggest at the end of June? Hello Amex....
I'm no apologist for travel bloggers, and I realize they make money from referrals, but in this case I think they were right to remain mum until some of the dust settled. Sorry, however, you took the hit for nothing, as it were.

RNE, still seeing a lot of dust.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Things may be changing, or at least in my experience it is.

Beginning in May of last year, I have applied for 24 cards to date. I was denied on my 2 most recent Ink Plus applications, the first in March of this year, and the other one at the end of May. I heard the same story when I called recon in May...that I couldn't move credit around and I had too many inquiries, etc. I definitely had more than 5 apps with Chase and I had barely closed 2 of my 5 Chase cards prior to the second application.

I applied again for the Ink Plus this past Sunday and I just received an email from Chase stating I was approved. I didn't bother calling and figured I'd get rejected, but the opposite happened.

Maybe a glimmer of hope for others out there.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:06 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by chongl
Maybe a glimmer of hope for others out there.
That glimmer puts me and my analysis in a good light. Thank you for your report. Bravo to your bravery and success.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75k, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Hello,
I previously shared my story about being declined for the Sapphire but approved same day for the Hyatt at 25k.

I took the letter to my branch and the manager called. They allowed me to move the Hyatt to a Sapphire and said in 6 months apply for the Hyatt.

Took about 30 minutes but I got the Sapphire which is the harder one to get.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:05 pm

I applied for the Ink Plus on Tuesday 7/7 online and got the "Our goal is to notify you in writing within 10 days; however it may take up to 30 days." message after I completed the application.

Yesterday on 7/9 I called the automated system to check the status on my application and it gave me the "your application is still under review, please allow 7-10 days for a decision.".

So this morning I decided to call recon and see what's going on. I spoke to an agent and after she confirmed my identity she told me right away that I was denied due to too many new accounts in the last 6 months. (I've opened 6 since Feb. but 5 that she can see from my report). I asked to be reconsidered so she asked me tons of questions about my business, income, revenue, the usual. I had my script set up and nailed it. She then decided that even though my credit was excellent but I was declined for my business being too new (1 year).

So I decided to call back a few hours later. Spoke to another nice lady and did the same routine as before with her, but she understood what kind of business that I'm in and decided that she was going to recommend me to get approved for a $5,000 limit. BUT she would need to get manager approval on this. She said it would take 24-72 hours for the final decision and that I should call back on Monday to find out the results.

I mentioned my checking and savings accounts that I have with Chase with both agents, as well as a completed car loan through Chase. My Chase Freedom was opened Feb 2015 and my CSP was opened April 2015. I have very minimal CVS VGC purchases on my CSP.

Has anyone experienced this before? Having a final manager decision and then having to wait a few days for it? How likely is it that I'll get this approved?

[edit] automated application status now says 2 weeks with a decision

Last edited by sateran; Jul 10, 2015 at 6:59 pm
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
yes because it has to override the computer? If the computer says ok they will give it to you automatically, but now it has to go to senior analyst. Chase used to be easy but now it is harder, they are cracking down on bonus abusers
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by happyvoid
they are cracking down on bonus abusers
sure, all those people getting abusing the free FICO score bonus on the Slate card need to be stopped
Old Jul 12, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by seahawkflyer
Hello,
I previously shared my story about being declined for the Sapphire but approved same day for the Hyatt at 25k.

I took the letter to my branch and the manager called. They allowed me to move the Hyatt to a Sapphire and said in 6 months apply for the Hyatt.

Took about 30 minutes but I got the Sapphire which is the harder one to get.
So which bonus are you getting? If you were to reapply for the Hyatt would you still get that bonus?
Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:36 am
RNE

Chase used to be easy but now it is harder, they are cracking down on bonus abusers
Winner of the coveted RNE's Pick for Post of the Week!

But more to the point, Chase is focusing on profitable customers—as any good business is wont to do. If you're swept up in their "abuser" dragnet, you'll have to convince Recon you're on the left side of their balance sheet. Good luck.

RNE, wondering if you're Happy in disguise. If so then I hereby rescind your prize.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by RNE
RNE, wondering if you're Happy in disguise. If so then I hereby rescind your prize.
^
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:55 pm

Chase used to be easy but now it is harder, they are cracking down on bonus abusers
So where will I get my fix now?

I will need to go to rehab to re-learn the old habits that I forgot, like actually paying for airline tickets and hotels.

I wondering if Chase offer a rehab co-branded card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.