Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate on Chase cards with no Forex fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exchange rate on Chase cards with no Forex fees

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by DrGiggles
am going by the date on the statement which i presume is the post date.
Originally Posted by mia
The date shown on the print or PDF statement is the transaction date. You need the posting date, which can be seen by logging in to chase.com and choosing See Account Activity.
As mia mentioned, Chase uses the rate on the posting date, not the transaction date. In the past when I've compared the exchange rate Chase used with Visa's rates on the posting date, they were they exact same for multiple Chase cards.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
I did two EUR transactions on a CSP and an Amex Plat at the exact same time (online).

The posted rates were within 0.0001% of each other.
Using an Amex Plat also has the benefit of avoiding DCC. Amex doesn't allow it on its network, while Visa loves it.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:56 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
In my experience its typically within 100th or less of whats on xe.com (had a few times it was a cent or so off on larger purchases. 1000+ EUR ) - Always vs the post date though..
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by rohanpinto
An interesting read on travel.I recently travelled to the US from India. I wanted to convert INR to Dollar. I used Travelex India for the currency conversion .I have used many online portals for forex, but was really impressed by the service provided by Travelex India. They also have 0% commission on the transactions which saves a lot of money.They also provide the accurate exchange rate. travelex.co.in
Pretty sure this post is spam.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a question...

I had 2 transactions at NRT last month. Both were done on the same day, posted on the same day...both were preetty small transactions.

On my UA Visa statement...

The smaller transaction showed the rate was Y1=US$0.009920000
The slightly larger transaction showed rate Y1=US$0.009924242
Visa's website shows: Y1=US$0.009923 if I put 0%

I wonder why. Does the amount of the transaction affect the rate?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by username
I have a question...

I had 2 transactions at NRT last month. Both were done on the same day, posted on the same day...both were preetty small transactions.

On my UA Visa statement...

The smaller transaction showed the rate was Y1=US$0.009920000
The slightly larger transaction showed rate Y1=US$0.009924242
Visa's website shows: Y1=US$0.009923 if I put 0%

I wonder why. Does the amount of the transaction affect the rate?
Like most financial transactions, international currency rates are constantly changing. In this case, the difference was in the sixth decimal place which goes on every second of every day of the year. The two charges hit the system at different times when the rates had changed ever so slightly. It's part of the international currency game (and an argument sometimes used to get suckers to accept dcc i.e. the ability to lock in the rate). For all practical intents and purposes, the rates were the same.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
Like most financial transactions, international currency rates are constantly changing. In this case, the difference was in the sixth decimal place which goes on every second of every day of the year. The two charges hit the system at different times when the rates had changed ever so slightly. It's part of the international currency game (and an argument sometimes used to get suckers to accept dcc i.e. the ability to lock in the rate). For all practical intents and purposes, the rates were the same.
Oh OK, thanks.

I thought there is was set daily rate but I guess there is actually some kind of constantly-flutuating rate that is used when the transaction posting happens?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Post which revived this thread has been transferred to the current discussion in Credit Card Programs:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...all-cards.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.