Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Now Dead]100,000 BA Avios Chase Card, $150 fee

[Now Dead]100,000 BA Avios Chase Card, $150 fee

Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by tassojunior
With last year's AmEx transfer program I had trouble because my middle initial was on AmEx and not on BA. After an hour on the phone with both BA could only get the AmEx points to transfer by opening me a 2nd account with my middle initial included. Points transferred.

Then I tried to get accounts consolidated and absolutely cannot get BA to do so. They are a mess. Both accounts still open and valid with all the same info, just middle initial also on one.
That doesn't make sense as AmEx allows you to transfer MR points into anyone's account.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
With last year's AmEx transfer program I had trouble because my middle initial was on AmEx and not on BA. After an hour on the phone with both BA could only get the AmEx points to transfer by opening me a 2nd account with my middle initial included. Points transferred.

Then I tried to get accounts consolidated and absolutely cannot get BA to do so. They are a mess. Both accounts still open and valid with all the same info, just middle initial also on one.
So why can't you just open a household account and consolidate them that way?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is odd because AMEX virtually let you transfer MR pts to anyone's FF account as long as when you add the FF account to the transfer list, the name and number you put in as the transfer to account matches exactly as the one in record with the FF program - it does NOT need to match AMEX cardholder's name at all! I just transferred husband's final MR pts to my BA account to take advantage of the 50% bonus.

So I dont know what kind of problem you have run into.

On the other hand as I mentioned before, unlike US-based programs, BA is absolutely adamant to not combine duplicate accounts. AA does it at a heartbeat on the phone. UA requires a letter. Dont know about former CO or DL or US. But BA is a PITA.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 14, 2012 at 4:04 pm
Old Apr 14, 2012, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by taliesin
So why can't you just open a household account and consolidate them that way?
It could be the possible solution in that he might be able to redeem something that requires a larger amount than Identity A, and BA would take the needed extra from Identity B's account when both are in the Household Account.

Though sometimes even a fully legitimate household account would still get in trouble with BA just for redemption that are done for members in the household when its audit team goes into high gear.

There is a thread in BA Forum recently about a guy (based in UK) got his household account frozen and all the Avios taken away for over a month due to redemption he made for members in his household account even those people had the same last name, and departed from his home airport. Not much details given on how the case was eventually resolved though it did get resolved and his account was re-activated. Those who are interested could go to BA forum to search for details. Hint: skip the pages and pages long speculation and argument, only read the OP's update posts which are just a few of them though the updates still left a lot of room for guess / speculation as to exactly what the guy did to trigger the audit.

In any case, at least all tassojunior's BA Avios are obtained legitimately without violating any T&Cs of the offers he got them from. He has the inconvenience but he would not be in any kind of trouble.

What if Chase decides to claw back the bonus on the 2nd BA Visa because it is clearly stated previous account holder is not eligible? after the account owners have redeemed their Avios already? I am not saying this would happen but I see this might be a possibility given it is Chase we deal with, that is not shy in clawing back miles and has done so in the past for various reasons based on reported cases.

One should read the mess on this thread to get an idea what might happen

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...m-expired.html

especially about the guy now is in some soup when he redeemed 2 R/T tickets and flew one, using the Avios from the 36x on Nordstrom purchase, and now his BA account has a huge negative balance - he could not refund both tickets as he already flew one. Would BA come back to charge him the one that is already flown? at what price? Interesting development indeed, to us who are following the development but certainly a nightmarish thing for the guy having this happened to him.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 14, 2012 at 4:26 pm
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Can I just call Chase and request this card without having to buy a BA ticket?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 5:48 am

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
You do not have to buy a ticket. (Someone changed the name to imply so despite people saying that they got the card without completing the transaction and have yet to correct the title).
Old Apr 15, 2012, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by travelisfree
You do not have to buy a ticket. (Someone changed the name to imply so despite people saying that they got the card without completing the transaction and have yet to correct the title).
Can I call chase and avid BA's website though? Also, any way to trigger the 2nd 50k before the 1 year anniversary?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Can I call chase and avid BA's website though? Also, any way to trigger the 2nd 50k before the 1 year anniversary?
Please do not do that.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EBS GLD, A|Club PLT, CC Silver, HH GLD
I can confirm that you DO NOT have to purchase a ticket for this deal.
  • Go to BA.com and look for a refundable oneway fare NYC-LHR. ($1400ish)
  • Enter in information till the Payment screen.
  • Receive offer and apply.
  • Approved, Rejected, Pending Review stop there and don't continue to confirm the ticket purchase.
  • If you are flagged for additional review call, the numbers listed below and try to get them to approve you.

I was flagged pending review when I applied and I had to call twice to get approval. The first call the woman rejected me for to many credit inquires and the second call the guy I spoke approved me.

Originally Posted by FlyingTonto
For Chase reconsideration, I called 888-245-0625 and was denied. The lady just read what the computer spewed out and didn't care to help me get the card.

Then called 800-453-9719 (after Million Mile Secrets said to try again - thank you! I didn't plan to since I was turned down so hard). The guy from the start wanted to help me get the card and did after swapping some credit line.

Don't know if the number made a difference, but count me as one data point.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by taliesin
Please do not do that.
Why do OP always want to call ?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 1:43 pm

I tried a JFK-LHR and went to the page where it says make booking and did no see the offer
Old Apr 15, 2012, 1:56 pm

If only these miles could be used to book AA award travel to Japan or South Pacific without fees

All my domestic US travel will probably be on these miles now, and I will focus my UA spending on an award ticket for this.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:19 pm

Tried it again using google chrome and saw the offer, did not work on firefox
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by bernyx
Tried it again using google chrome and saw the offer, did not work on firefox
Still works for me. Ticket has to be < $2K.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, CO
I am actually thinking if I should risk and apply for this one for my mother.

Last Chase app was for the Ink Bold card on 4/11 and before that did a SPG card on 1/10 (not chase but same Experian) ... before that did a Chase CO card on 11/16/11

So .... how safe am I to apply for this one right now .... just 4-5 days after I got the Chase Bold Ink card.

what do you guys think? For the Ink Bold I had top call the reconsideration line and move some funds around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.