Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with Chase BA Card?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

What to do with Chase BA Card?

I need some help on what to do with my Chase BA card. My annual fee date is coming up in May and I called the Chase cancellation line. They offered to give me 5000 miles but I'm not really interested since I have quite a bunch of Avios points already.

For context, I applied for the Chase Sapphire Preferred in Jan and the United Explorer card last month. Both were approved and I already transferred my credit limit from the BA card to these 2 cards.

So now I'm sorta stuck with what to do. I tried applying for the Ink Bold last month but Chase said my business was too new and told me to reapply in a couple months. The only other card right now I can think of is the Chase Freedom.

Should I apply for another chase card to replace the BA card or just cancel it outright?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
I would wait as long as you could before the fee hit, and then app for the Freedom (if the $300 CB / $500 spend offer is really back), and use closing the BA card as leverage to get it approved.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:51 pm

to me, it is simple, my due day is April. so I just called to move all of the credit to another Chase card, then call again to cancell, no need any freebie for me to keep the card due to the devaluation of Avios.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iwpingmu
to me, it is simple, my due day is April. so I just called to move all of the credit to another Chase card, then call again to cancell, no need any freebie for me to keep the card due to the devaluation of Avios.
I wouldn't mind canceling it out right.

I just wanted to use this cancellation to leverage a new card out of Chase in case I have to trade it in for a card I really want in future.

The freedom 30,000 bonus points seem tempting since it only requires a 500 spend and has no annual fee.

Any other cards I should consider? I eventually plan to get the Ink bold maybe 6 months from now.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roki
I would wait as long as you could before the fee hit, and then app for the Freedom (if the $300 CB / $500 spend offer is really back), and use closing the BA card as leverage to get it approved.
Why would you wait as long before the fee hits? Apparently the person over the phone said that I have until june to get the fee refunded since I have 30 days after the fee hits to cancel the card and not get charged.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by clin31
Why would you wait as long before the fee hits? Apparently the person over the phone said that I have until june to get the fee refunded since I have 30 days after the fee hits to cancel the card and not get charged.
I simply meant to put more time between your Freedom app and your previous apps.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roki
I simply meant to put more time between your Freedom app and your previous apps.
Wouldn't it be better to do it sooner rather than later since there will be less of a hit on my credit score? Sorry I'm new at this.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: No preference
Originally Posted by clin31
Wouldn't it be better to do it sooner rather than later since there will be less of a hit on my credit score? Sorry I'm new at this.
The negative impact of inquiries is only lessened if the inquiries are timed closely together (two weeks I think). So no, a new inquiry will hit fully (3-5 pts).

I plan on leveraging my BA card for a new Chase card in the next week or two as well.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:32 am

cancel it and get the chase sapphire. theres no benefit for the BA card unless if you actually use it to pay for BA tix
Old Apr 4, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: No preference
Originally Posted by travelhacker
cancel it and get the chase sapphire. theres no benefit for the BA card unless if you actually use it to pay for BA tix
Apply for the Sapphire first. If denied, you can call recon. and ask them to move credit from BA to Sapphire to get it open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.