FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1331134-united-mileageplus-club-card-1st-year-annual-fee-waived-tied-united-status.html)

LordByran Mar 31, 2012 8:45 pm

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

I've benefited incredibly from this forum and all the people on it, and I want to try and do my part to give back.

The current promotion that is going around is that the United MileagePlus Club Card has a $95 statement credit for the $395 fee. However, I came across an offer for the first year waived.

I stumbled across this an hour ago and have been trying to replicate the exact steps to get the offer to show up. I found another poster who managed to find the same offer as well on the United forum. As far as I know, it's possibly tied to either status with United or having a previous MileagePlus Explorer card. YMMV but see if it works on your end. I started off with a fresh browser and everything logged off (e.g. Chase, United, etc.):

1) Log into your United MileagePlus account via united.com
2) Click on the following link: https://www.theexplorercard.com/MPCl...rce=navigation

I clicked through to the application and there's no explicit mention of the fee waiver, so if applying I fully recommend screen-shotting everything in case an issue does arise. I can only access this link after logging in to United, so I believe this is status linked.

UPDATE: Must have status with United.
UPDATE #2: For those having trouble, others have had success clearing their browser cache and logging into Chase first before clicking on the link. Sometimes multiple clicks may be required, but it worked perfectly the way I mentioned above. One FTer found language of the fee waiver in the "Pricing and Terms" of the application.

longhorn11 Mar 31, 2012 8:58 pm

Welcome to FT!

I attempted to make this work on my end but it was a no go. It has to be an elite thing as I was able to get the 60k+$50 semi targeted offer after logging in. Sounds like a good deal though!

txrandom Mar 31, 2012 9:07 pm

Do you mind posting a screenshot of where it says fee waived?

Update:

Logged in with my personal account (had previous card, no status) - No waiver
Logged in with my Dad's account (not sure if he had car, lifetime gold) - Waiver

LordByran Mar 31, 2012 9:12 pm

This is the screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/Gv7Ev.png?1

txrandom Mar 31, 2012 9:16 pm

Anyone know if authorized users of this card get the same benefit?

penner42 Mar 31, 2012 9:29 pm

2p here. I get the offer with first year free. Now I don't know if I want to apply for that or the Explorer 50k in my next batch. I expect the Explorer bonus will still be at least 40k when I'm ready for another go, so I might do this. Thanks!

accrue450 Mar 31, 2012 9:29 pm

worked for me exactly after following op's instructions. i'm premier silver if it makes a difference.

is there any consensus on what makes this card worth it for the long run? meaning you'd pay future $400 membership fees.

vdostoi1 Mar 31, 2012 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by LordByran (Post 18311587)
I've benefited incredibly from this forum and all the people on it, and I want to try and do my part to give back.

The current promotion that is going around is that the United MileagePlus Club Card has a $95 statement credit for the $395 fee. However, I came across an offer for the first year waived.

I stumbled across this an hour ago and have been trying to replicate the exact steps to get the offer to show up. I found another poster who managed to find the same offer as well on the United forum. As far as I know, it's possibly tied to either status with United or having a previous MileagePlus Explorer card. YMMV but see if it works on your end. I started off with a fresh browser and everything logged off (e.g. Chase, United, etc.):

2) Click on the following link: https://www.theexplorercard.com/MPCl...rce=navigation

I clicked through to the application and there's no explicit mention of the fee waiver, so if applying I fully recommend screen-shotting everything in case an issue does arise. I can only access this link after logging in to United, so I believe this is status linked.

Interesting...Did not work for me but I did see the banner momentarily this morning when I was on united.com. However, when I came back to the UA web site later on in the day, I was unable to reproduce this and am now really disappointed... I am Silver Premier.

chris1234 Mar 31, 2012 9:55 pm

This worked for me....

I was able to get the Annual Fee Waived offer but it required also logging into my chase account. First, sign into chase, then go to united.com (same window), sign in to united.com (view an itinerary to make sure it's really signed in, sometimes cookies leave you in this not quite signed in state), then paste the URL from this thread. Now it will take you to the explorer card member site. Paste the URL from this thread again and it should take you to the fee waived club card page.

I applied, but of course I'm going to have to go through the reconsideration line, two or three too many chase cards... :rolleyes:

christian

ffI Mar 31, 2012 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by accrue450 (Post 18311725)
worked for me exactly after following op's instructions. i'm premier silver if it makes a difference.
is there any consensus on what makes this card worth it for the long run? meaning you'd pay future $400 membership fees.

Already covered here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...tial-plus.html
If you can spend 100k a year from business spend,
you get 50k miles extra = worth an easy 750-1000$

am1108 Mar 31, 2012 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by LordByran (Post 18311587)

The fee waiver is stated in the "Pricing & Terms" sections after you click the "Apply Now" button (which does not submit an application until you fill everything out)

It could be worth it, if you go to the Club at least 8 times, especially if you bring a guest in. What is nice about the card is that it basically gives you Silver status (2 Checked Bags, Premier Access) without (bonus miles on flights,upgrades, and waitlisting priority of course) which I have not seen the latter two frequently anyways. Plus E+ is virtually non-existant for Silvers traveling from hub to hub, and hub to spoke. :rolleyes:

HansGolden Mar 31, 2012 10:35 pm

Aha, worked for me only after I logged in United.com, logged into Chase, THEN clicked the link in OP.

I'm a 1K with UC membership and the MP Explorer (grr! CO card converted! Idiot not to cancel...) and the old United Select (Which gives 3 mi/$ spent on UA! Love that card!).

ETA: Grrr... Chase's site is down right now. I was going to send an SM to Chase asking for the 60k UA Explorer bonus because they switched me without my permission, plus I'm a loyal customer that spent $50k on the UA card last year and $xxk on Chase cards, etc. I'll let you guys know how it goes when Chase.com comes back up.

Sterndogg Apr 1, 2012 9:51 am

Woah...took a bit of fumbling and closing/opening browser windows but it works. I'm a 1K with 2 Chase UA cards, Sapphire Preferred, and literally yesterday signed up for the 80K bonus points IHG Priority Club Visa. Probably will get declined on this one hah. Great find OP!

loverofpeace Apr 1, 2012 3:41 pm

Nice find but didn't work for me (don't have status on United). I'll forward it to my friend who's platinum with them though. Thanks!

w0r1dtrave1er Apr 1, 2012 4:16 pm

Thank you OP. Great share. Worked for me in Safari...

1) cleared cache
2) logged into United (verified by viewing itinerary)
3) clicked link above
3a) the first time, it re-linked to a generic page
3b) closed that window and clicked again... viola
4) On the application page under annual fee it explicitly states first year free then $395

Awesome! This brightened a dark day in San Diego (it's sunny here, but I just filed taxes)