Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
I saw this (first year free) offer regularly after making 1k recently (as well as 50k MPE offers since ~forever) After I applied for the MPE, the first year free offer went away, and was replaced by a $100 statement credit offer for the Club card.

(The 50k MPE offer was much more useful for me, since I get lounge access either via *G on int'l flights, or Amex Plat access to a much better lounge for my domestic flights. It's rare that I'm at an airport where there's only a UC when not flying internationally, and the 2 MPE passes should cover those situations.)
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:44 am

United Mileage Plus Club Card

I qualified for a year, fee-waived United Mileage Plus credit card. No points sadly, but all I really wanted was the unlimited lounge access and priority one boarding.

Any thoughts on how I might get Chase to wave the $450 annual fee when the card expires in two months?

I have only used the card for United tickets.

Also, if I book a ticket using the card, and then the card is cancelled (due to no fee waiver), will I still get priority boarding since I booked when in the 'system'?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Just a tip on the using the UAMPCC. They do carry trip insurance. Yeah you may think it is a scam and doesn't work. I booked a house in Savannah GA for a week and hurricane Matthew hit. It was for a wedding and multiple couple were to stay at the house. I did the booking with my MPCC. Didn't stay one day at house and we were evacuated. Rental agent said tough luck, Chase/Chubb insurance took the case and 6 weeks later I get a check for $8K and change. They apologized for taking so long and said they had many claims from the hurricane. Now I book all such lodging on my UACC card not just UA tickets.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by service1010
I qualified for a year, fee-waived United Mileage Plus credit card. No points sadly, but all I really wanted was the unlimited lounge access and priority one boarding.

Any thoughts on how I might get Chase to wave the $450 annual fee when the card expires in two months?

I have only used the card for United tickets.

Also, if I book a ticket using the card, and then the card is cancelled (due to no fee waiver), will I still get priority boarding since I booked when in the 'system'?
...group one boarding? Do tell. The general answer is that you might still have BG2 marked on your BP, but UA will periodically sweep the system for these changes and make the proper adjustments. If you want to keep priority boarding in BG2, try downgrading to an Explorer card.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by eeflyer
Unfortunately no pre-approval. In addition, the banker informed me that they only see preapprovals for the Sapphire, Ink, and Freedom Unlimited. I'll take that with a grain of salt, but just passing along what I was told.

Probably going to give the online application a try later.
As expected, denial due to "too many new cards." I knew I was at 5/24, but read conflicting things on what's counted/when to start counting. My earliest card was opened in March 2015.

Should I give it a try again in March, or wait until April? My account still shows the no-fee first year. I also have the 70k MPE but that offer expires 2/28 anyway.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eeflyer
As expected, denial due to "too many new cards." I knew I was at 5/24, but read conflicting things on what's counted/when to start counting. My earliest card was opened in March 2015.

Should I give it a try again in March, or wait until April? My account still shows the no-fee first year. I also have the 70k MPE but that offer expires 2/28 anyway.
In checking my CRs, I have seen some inquiries not come off at exactly 24 months, but during the 25th month. Also, if you sign up for Chase's Credit Journey, it will tell you exactly how many new cards you have opened in the last 24 months. It updates once every 7 days. I would wait until April or better yet give Credit Journey a try and wait until your new cards # drops to four.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: None yet
How long does it take to activate the United Club membership?

Sorry if this is a duplicated question.

I applied for the Chase United Club card yesterday and got my credit card today via UPS next day air, which was super fast. Yet I cannot see my membership info on united.com yet. I asked UA and they said it would take up to two weeks, and sending SM to chase didn't help either. I was wondering how long does it actually take to activate my United Club membership. Could someone share their experiences with this? I am traveling on Friday (3 days from the day of this post). Do you think I can access UC then? I do have my MP number on my reservation. If not, can I present my credit card to get in?

Thanks a lot.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by eajusa
In checking my CRs, I have seen some inquiries not come off at exactly 24 months, but during the 25th month. Also, if you sign up for Chase's Credit Journey, it will tell you exactly how many new cards you have opened in the last 24 months. It updates once every 7 days. I would wait until April or better yet give Credit Journey a try and wait until your new cards # drops to four.
Cool, you mean it tells you exactly the 5/24 number? That's very useful. I've heard in other circles that 5/24 is more like 5/23, because they do not count the current month. Have you heard of any truth to this?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by moyang_mm
Sorry if this is a duplicated question.

I applied for the Chase United Club card yesterday and got my credit card today via UPS next day air, which was super fast. Yet I cannot see my membership info on united.com yet. I asked UA and they said it would take up to two weeks, and sending SM to chase didn't help either. I was wondering how long does it actually take to activate my United Club membership. Could someone share their experiences with this? I am traveling on Friday (3 days from the day of this post). Do you think I can access UC then? I do have my MP number on my reservation. If not, can I present my credit card to get in?

Thanks a lot.
There have been past reports of it showing up on the app immediately.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:49 pm

I finally broke down and applied for the card, lured by the first year fee waiver. It was originally pending (30 day message), but then got approved the next day by reducing one of my other Chase cards' credit limits (without me doing anything). Received the card in that giant package, and I thought the 1K kit was ridiculous... I was already a UC member, so got the refund and at the same time had the new expiration date show up on my app (these happened a couple of weeks ago, about a week after I received the credit card). Still no physical club card yet, but not worried at this point. The only only place I will use the physical club card will be at Club Acela...
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:45 am

Chase United Club Business Card

Anyone know if applying for this card after logging onto the United site bypasses 5/24 ? I saw the Wiki on another thread specifically mention the United Explorer Personal and Business, along with the United Club Personal card are governed by 5/24, but no mention of the Business version.

I'm currently over 5/24, but I do see an offer after logging onto the United site (No annual fee the first year, then $450) that I'd like to accept.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:52 pm

Took the plunge and applied. Got the 30 day response. Might be a denial, but I'll see what happens.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:34 pm

Are you sure Chase will use the count shown in Credit Journey to determine our 5/24 status? For my case, the count shown is not accurate. It is either 1 or 3 less than my actual count depending on whether or not it counts the cards that I opened in 03/2015.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by junks2010
Are you sure Chase will use the count shown in Credit Journey to determine our 5/24 status? For my case, the count shown is not accurate. It is either 1 or 3 less than my actual count depending on whether or not it counts the cards that I opened in 03/2015.
Did you drop last month? I noticed I was at 5/24 then dropped to 3/24 when they took my two new cards opened 2/15 off. It is possible that Credit Journey is a week or so behind. It is based on Trans Union. Sometimes TU drops my inquiries not the 24th month, but the 25th month. That would account for the difference. I can also tell you that when I was approved for CSR last week, that Chase used my TU credit report. Another way to check your TU is to use Creditkarma.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 6:13 pm

Did you drop last month? I noticed I was at 5/24 then dropped to 3/24 when they took my two new cards opened 2/15 off. It is possible that Credit Journey is a week or so behind. It is based on Trans Union. Sometimes TU drops my inquiries not the 24th month, but the 25th month. That would account for the difference. I can also tell you that when I was approved for CSR last week, that Chase used my TU credit report. Another way to check your TU is to use Creditkarma.
I just signed up for Credit Journey so I don't know what the count was last month. For me, the count on CJ is less than my actual count, even if I do not count the two cards I opened in 03/2015.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.