Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
I have the no annual fee offer as well. Silver via Marriott. Only fly 4-5 times a year.

Anyone think this offer will last for a few more weeks?
My next flight isn't until early November so I wanted to wait until closer to travel to apply.
Would I still get the premier access benefits if I used the regular chase united explorer card to book the tickets?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by kklems
I have the no annual fee offer as well. Silver via Marriott. Only fly 4-5 times a year.

Anyone think this offer will last for a few more weeks?
My next flight isn't until early November so I wanted to wait until closer to travel to apply.
Would I still get the premier access benefits if I used the regular chase united explorer card to book the tickets?
If your MP number is on your reservation and the United Club Card has been opened for at least two weeks prior to the flight you should receive Premier Access benefits for yourself and companions on the same reservation. Baggage benefits will be based on your Explorer Card benefit (1 bag instead of the 2 that would be available with the Club Card).
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Rikki3072
If your MP number is on your reservation and the United Club Card has been opened for at least two weeks prior to the flight you should receive Premier Access benefits for yourself and companions on the same reservation. Baggage benefits will be based on your Explorer Card benefit (1 bag instead of the 2 that would be available with the Club Card).
Thanks for the update.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: CHASE UNITED CLUB; CITI PRESTIGE; IHG SPIRE AMBASSADOR; RITZ-CARLTON GOLD; Global Entry
Very shameful that this United branded card earns 2miles on United and every other

Very shameful that this United branded card earns 2 miles on United and every other $450 card earns 3 miles on United.

I don't know what chase will/won't do to this card.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by ylord789
Very shameful that this United branded card earns 2 miles on United and every other $450 card earns 3 miles on United.

I don't know what chase will/won't do to this card.
Not only that, there's a significantly cheaper combination of cards that also earns 1.5 UA miles (or other) on any purchase, too. A Sapphire Preferred + Freedom Unlimited earns 2 UR on United purchases (and any travel or dining), and 1.5 UR on everything else, for only $95 annually. It does seem strange.

I am currently UA Gold on a status challenge that ends 9/5 that I will not complete. I am currently seeing the waived annual fee for the first year. I'm not applying for the card. I'll check back after my status expires and see if I still have the offer.

Edit to add: I got this same waived offer in 4/2012. Canceled the card after a year when the annual fee was coming up. (And then had UA Gold status matched to TK through the end of 2015 so I had a good almost 4 years of free United Club access.)

Last edited by penner42; Aug 23, 2016 at 11:31 pm
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: CHASE UNITED CLUB; CITI PRESTIGE; IHG SPIRE AMBASSADOR; RITZ-CARLTON GOLD; Global Entry
Originally Posted by penner42
Not only that, there's a significantly cheaper combination of cards that also earns 1.5 UA miles (or other) on any purchase, too. A Sapphire Preferred + Freedom Unlimited earns 2 UR on United purchases (and any travel or dining), and 1.5 UR on everything else, for only $95 annually. It does seem strange.

I am currently UA Gold on a status challenge that ends 9/5 that I will not complete. I am currently seeing the waived annual fee for the first year. I'm not applying for the card. I'll check back after my status expires and see if I still have the offer.

Edit to add: I got this same waived offer in 4/2012. Canceled the card after a year when the annual fee was coming up. (And then had UA Gold status matched to TK through the end of 2015 so I had a good almost 4 years of free United Club access.)

Thanks for the info.

I think chase needs to improve this card for the annual fee of $450 to make sense. I suggest that they change the card to VISA infinite (with the $100 airfare benefit) and reward 3 miles for united purchase.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:33 am
Original Member

Anyone who recently applies for this card and received have feedback on how long it takes for things to update in the system. In the mailing for my card (that 5# package) it says the United club access card will be sent within 6 weeks. Looking at the thread I saw
The trick for checking the app and the website but United club isn't listed for me yet. I also tried to enroll in Hyatt platinum and it said I wasn't eligible. I was able to look at the luxury collection since it asked for the first 6 digits of my card to verify my eligibility.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ylord789
I think chase needs to improve this card for the annual fee of $450 to make sense. I suggest that they change the card to VISA infinite (with the $100 airfare benefit) and reward 3 miles for united purchase.
The card is $450 because you get UA Club membership, which is good at UA and Star Alliance lounges world-wide. If you don't want UA Club membership then get a different card.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:07 pm

i see the no fee offer also. are there no miles with this card? (i.e. 50k or somethign) Just the club membership?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa
The card is $450 because you get UA Club membership, which is good at UA and Star Alliance lounges world-wide. If you don't want UA Club membership then get a different card.
I am cancelling this one and replace it with CSR and CFU.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:59 pm

JPM reserve is far better.

Originally Posted by Need

The following conversation indicates people can apply for JPM reserve (also with UC membership but far better credits and rewards).

I have United Club at $395 and I do have bags from time to time, so it is not so clear for me. I will let things evolve first.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ladium-21.html
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: Star Alliance (Gold), HHonors (Diamond), Emerald Club (Exec Elite), SPG Plat, Clubcarlson Gold
Originally Posted by Need
Exactly what I intend to do too (without the CFU)

I got myself the Club card mostly with the interest of using the United clubs as I travel very frequently. Turns out I don't use the club all that much. Instead I'd rather get the CSR, and I can always buy a few club vouchers off eBay for the few times I need to use the club if there's no priority pass club where I'm flying out of.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:07 am

Maybe someone can answer my question about Lounge access.

There is neither a United Club nor a Star Alliance Lounge in Edinburgh but one that is operated by Servisair. Can I get with the Club Card or not?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Tazmania
... one that is operated by Servisair. Can I get with the Club Card or not?
It appears that United has contracted with this lounge.

Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by mia
It appears that United has contracted with this lounge.

Thanks, just see, basically no access at any of the partner lounges with the Club Card

Maybe I'm to stupid, but I don't even see a lounge in FRA where you can get access with the United Club card???

*edit*
Nevermind, just found the lounge finder. http://www.staralliance.com/en/web/s.../lounge-finder

Last edited by Tazmania; Oct 17, 2016 at 10:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.