Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Quick update: I worked with @HyattConcierge on Twitter to get my Hyatt account upgraded to Platinum. Took about two days to fully process but my account now shows Platinum membership. For anyone looking to take advantage of this benefit, I would highly recommend communicating with Hyatt via Twitter. The phone reps for both Hyatt and Chase had no clue what I was talking about.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Need
When I received the card a year ago, Hyatt Plat was not automatic. I have to send an email to Hyatt telling them I just got the MileagePlus Club card and then it was changed to Plat.
I received an email today that Hyatt automatically upgraded me to Platinum based on my Chase UA Club Card.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:53 am

Programs: UA 1K/3.7MM, Hawn Platinum, Hilton Diamond, PC Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Natl Exe Elite
Older Version UA Mileage Plus Card

Does anyone have the older version that comes with the free companion certificate? If so, does anyone have a copy or web link that shows the applicable fares? Previously, it was good in almost all fares, but now it is only good with full fare tickets. Thanks.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
Did they change the United Club card to be black? I swear it was navy before, but now it looks black.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by pritomd
Did they change the United Club card to be black? I swear it was navy before, but now it looks black.
It looks black from a distance, but up close and with enough light, you can see that it's more of a very dark bronze. The new Explorer card is navy. See here and here.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K
I've been looking into getting the club card for free for the first year, but have not found any deals. Online, the best I can find after entering my MP credentials is $100 credit, and the annual fee is $450. I went to the local Chase Bank branch and they said, MP credit cards can only be applied for online. Anybody else has been successful recently?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: DL, Marriott
Still, looks nice! I always thought it was blue, but black/dark bronze looks nice!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thebakaronis
I've been looking into getting the club card for free for the first year, but have not found any deals. Online, the best I can find after entering my MP credentials is $100 credit, and the annual fee is $450. I went to the local Chase Bank branch and they said, MP credit cards can only be applied for online. Anybody else has been successful recently?
If I log in and follow the first link in the wiki I get the offer for first year no AF. I do not have any status with UA.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:25 am

Followed the instructions at the bottom of the post (e.g. If all else fails, login into account, choose a card you don't want, click on link to club card via "other cards you might want", annual fee waiver offer appeared).

This worked on July 5.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: Lufthansa
Smile

Originally Posted by BrerNashville
Followed the instructions at the bottom of the post (e.g. If all else fails, login into account, choose a card you don't want, click on link to club card via "other cards you might want", annual fee waiver offer appeared).

This worked on July 5.
It worked for me too.......no "status", thanks. (made screen shot jic)^
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
I'm SFO based and seem to end up on either UA or AS depending on availability and seat map.

Is this card worth having if you don't care about United Club?

My main use cases are the free checked bags (which would save me at least $50 per leg) and no close in award booking fees (usually travel as 3 pax, so that's like $225 saved on last minute award bookings).

Seems to be reasonable value if you can get the first AF waived and somehow get the $395 AF for the second year?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by MidnightLight
I was able to downgrade previously to a no-fee Chase MileagePlus card that offers 0.5 miles per $ spent. This product isn't offered for direct applications, but it does exist (at least as of late last year, when I did my downgrade).
Originally Posted by Gunner14
As a reference point, my annual fee just posted so I called to downgrade my card. I downgraded to a card with no annual fee called the Chase MileagePlus Rewards Card.
Hi, now that you don't have the MileagePlus Explorer Card, are you still able to see XN class fares with the MileagepPlus Rewards card?

I'm thinking about downgrading but I don't want to lose my access to XN fares. I think if you have status with United, you'll see XN anyways so you can ignore my question.

http://www.milevalue.com/how-to-use-united-expert-mode/ for reference

Thanks you!
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by BrerNashville

This worked on July 5.
The first link didn't work for me, the second did. No fee first year but no bonus miles either. Does the first link (or others) work for no fee first year and bonus miles?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:11 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by rihc55
Hi, now that you don't have the MileagePlus Explorer Card, are you still able to see XN class fares with the MileagepPlus Rewards card?

I'm thinking about downgrading but I don't want to lose my access to XN fares. I think if you have status with United, you'll see XN anyways so you can ignore my question.

http://www.milevalue.com/how-to-use-united-expert-mode/ for reference

Thanks you!
XN is available with any United states, too, right?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by NDN
XN is available with any United states, too, right?

I'm not sure that I understand the question.. Its my understanding that those without status and without a mileageplus card can only get "X" fare for awards. I currently have the Explorer card so I can book "XN" fares but I'm thinking of downgrading the card to the no annual fee version but am unsure as to whether or not I'll be able to book these fares still.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.