Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:06 am

As a reference point, my annual fee just posted so I called to downgrade my card. I downgraded to a card with no annual fee called the Chase MileagePlus Rewards Card.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Apologies if this has been asked and answered (I did try to search):

If one gets approved for the card, but still has say 3 months remaining on their existing paid UC membership, does the membership expiration get extended for one year from the existing expiration or one year from card approval (thereby effectively double paying for 3 months )?

Thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:19 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by jmd001
Apologies if this has been asked and answered (I did try to search):

If one gets approved for the card, but still has say 3 months remaining on their existing paid UC membership, does the membership expiration get extended for one year from the existing expiration or one year from card approval (thereby effectively double paying for 3 months )?

Thanks.
You should get reimbursed some prorated amount and then a new membership started.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:10 am

Seems like everyone flying out of Newark has this card. The Group 2 line is by far the longest line on the flights I've been on, even longer than Group 5.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
This may be a well-known pro-consumer glitch.

My wife, a daughter and a daughter's friend are flying on a reservation made with miles from my Mileageplus miles. They have Premier Access on their boarding pass and it appears they may get 4 bags (not counting on it) free based on the check in screens even though I am not traveling.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zeusmt
Seems like everyone flying out of Newark has this card. The Group 2 line is by far the longest line on the flights I've been on, even longer than Group 5.
Another reason to get my card upgraded to Club card before my London trip
Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:59 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by eajusa
Another reason to get my card upgraded to Club card before my London trip
Try going out of San Francisco... The group-1 line is longer than the group-2 line (due to so many global services and 1k travelers). Then the lines for groups 3-5 are virtually empty.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by NDN
Try going out of San Francisco... The group-1 line is longer than the group-2 line (due to so many global services and 1k travelers). Then the lines for groups 3-5 are virtually empty.
I'm really starting to hate United. Are the other airlines like this?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 11:54 am

Some airports, AA has similar long lines of priority boarding passengers too.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Quote:
Flying out of DFW on any flight is just the same. Paying extra for Group 1 boarding is a joke. All the AA elites board, then all the OW elites (mid-tier and higher), followed by AA Group 1. By the time G1 boards all the overhead bins up front in the main cabin are full. So no, its not just United that has long lines of elites followed by only average boarding lines for non-elites.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Data point for targeting.

I was eligible for the 1st year no AF by using the link in the wiki and logging into my UA account. I have NO status with UA but I do have about 100k miles and the MPE card.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by pointchaser93
Data point for targeting.

I was eligible for the 1st year no AF by using the link in the wiki and logging into my UA account. I have NO status with UA but I do have about 100k miles and the MPE card.
Thanks worked for me too.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 3:21 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by NDN
Try going out of San Francisco... The group-1 line is longer than the group-2 line (due to so many global services and 1k travelers).
And Platinums too are in BG1. As are their companions.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Question for those who have upgraded from the Explorer card: How long did it take to receive your new card and benefits after upgrading? My plan is to upgrade to the Club card the first week of May (my 1 year anniversary), as I have several trips coming up and would love to have the Club card benefits. Would I receive the new card & benefits within a week? It sounds like new accounts have had their welcome kits shipped via expedited delivery, but I'm not sure about upgraded accounts.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:35 pm

MileagePlus Explorer cardholders also board in Group 2 as well as Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver & Star Silver.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.