Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by RJ1
I am about to close my United Club Card, for many reasons. The lack of a chip is one of them. I've had the card several years and have continually asked when we might expect them to offer a chip. They have no ETA.
The lack of EMV on the UA Club card is inexcusable, IMO, considering they announced when it was first introduced (in 2012, IIRC) that they would give it an EMV chip.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 3:46 pm
Suspended

I agree with LetterBoy.

The United Club Card is a "Leading" and "High End" card that has a lot of great benefits. I would have thought it, along with the Saphire cards, would have been some of the first cards to have the EMV chip.

With the 1.5 miles on all purchases and no foreign transaction fees, I especially like to use it while overseas, but the AA Executive card offers no foreign transaction fees and has the EMV, so I'm forced to use it more often (and I miss out on the 1.5 miles per dollar).

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has the Club card and basically put it in their wallets traveling abroad now, which is a shame that Chase would pass up this revenue.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat
For years I have asked them to put the chip in the presidential plus card to no avail. I am told that this has to be negotiated with united and clearly those negotiations have not gone well.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:36 pm

The other thing I don't get about the UA Club card is the lack a a sign-up bonus, at least in terms of miles. Even DL gives you some SkyPesos for their AmEx Reserve card.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:05 pm
Suspended

I don't think United would care one bit whether or not there is a chip in the card. Eventually (next year?) it will be mandatory by law I believe, but it seems like Chase would want to prevent fraud sooner than that.

Yes, you would think that for an annual fee of $395, they could toss a crap ton of sign up bonus miles at you.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by cslovacek
I don't think United would care one bit whether or not there is a chip in the card.
If anything, I think United would want the card to have a chip, if that makes it more likely people will use it overseas. You'd think Chase would want it to have a chip for that reason, too. I can't figure out why they put an EMV chip on the Freedom card (which people may be less likely to use overseas, since it has an FTF), but not the UA Club card (or the Explorer card, either). Not that I'm complaining about the Freedom having a chip - the more cards with chips, the better, IMO.

Originally Posted by cslovacek
Yes, you would think that for an annual fee of $395, they could toss a crap ton of sign up bonus miles at you.
I don't think they need to "toss a crap ton of sign up bonus miles at you," but for $395 they ought to give you at least, say, 10,000.

Last edited by LETTERBOY; Jul 4, 2014 at 11:54 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:13 am
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Originally Posted by zeusmt
My wife has this card (in good standing) and she booked a flight yesterday, and it's not showing the free 1st and 2nd bag. This is the second time this happened. Called Chase and they have no clue. Any suggestions?
Does she have another united chase card? Sometimes multiple cards can cause this. UA has to fix it nevertheless.

I used to get $75 close in fees charged to family member's account while there was a UCC and a explorer card associated with it. Had to call and fight everytime.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
If anything, I think United would want the card to have a chip, if that makes it more likely people will use it overseas. You'd think Chase would want it to have a chip for that reason, too. I can't figure out why they put an EMV chip on the Freedom card (which people may be less likely to use overseas, since it has an FTF), but not the UA Club card (or the Explorer card, either). Not that I'm complaining about the Freedom having a chip - the more cards with chips, the better, IMO.

I don't think they need to "toss a crap ton of sign up bonus miles at you," but for $395 they ought to give you at least, say, 10,000.

I agree that they should want it but I am telling you that multiple chase agents have told me that this is something that chase cannot do to the card by itself and had to work with united. Perhaps it was being held up over other things and being used as a bargaining chip - who knows.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:31 pm

Anyone have issue with being charged close in booking fees? i am...

I got this card primarily for the waived close in booking fees. Both times I have used this (on UA flights), I have been charged the $75 fee. Has this happened to anyone else, and, if so, do you know how they fixed it?

United agents have no idea why it's being charged and, after 5 minutes on hold, issue a refund to my Chase Club Card that I used for the $5.60 fee. All confirm screens thru ticketing process do NOT show the fee- it only shows in the final ticketed email. Oddly, even that recognizes my Club Card baggage benefit.

The reason it's an issue is, I learned from this thread that the close in $75 fee is not charged on any flights, even partner, when booked online- which is what I got it for mostly. Obviously, if I have to call in to reverse it, they'll see that it's supposed to only be UA flights. Ergo, I want to fix this but nobody I've talked to @ UA knows what's wrong.

Anyone else?...
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
add additional card holder

If I add my friend as an additional card holder on my Chase United Club credit card, will he be able to access the United Clubs when he flies on United? Thank you for your help and time in helping me answer this question.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by jimcoddington
If I add my friend as an additional card holder on my Chase United Club credit card, will he be able to access the United Clubs when he flies on United? Thank you for your help and time in helping me answer this question.
Nope.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:06 pm

Just got this offer for no first year fee. Two questions if anyone can help me out?

1) Does the United Club membership give access to a travel companion on the same reservation? Is there a fee?

2) Does star alliance lounge access require a star alliance ticket? Does my travel companion on the same reservation get access to a star alliance lounge?

Also, how long does it take to get the Club Card? I know the terms say 6 weeks. I am planning a vacation for last week of october. If I apply today, any chance I'll get it in time?

Last edited by MDtR-Chicago; Oct 7, 2014 at 9:04 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:01 pm
Formerly known as James Flannery

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by txrandom
Anyone know if authorized users of this card get the same benefit?

Only the cardholder gets into clubs. You get a separate Club Membership card. The credit card itself does nothing for you when trying to gain access to a United or Star Alliance club.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:34 pm

I applied and was approved for an ink+ card this morning. I also have one open Marriott card that I've had for several years. Prior to the ink application today, it's been over a year since I've applied for any other Chase card.

I received a targeted offer for a first year fee-waived Chase UAL Club Card. I did have this card when it first came out under a fee waiver, but cancelled it after a year once the fee posted. If I apply for the Club Card, would my chances of being approved be reduced given that I was just approved for the Ink+ card today?

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:14 pm
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Any recent updates on getting this without the first year fee? Looks like some more extensive family travel this year so it might be worth getting for lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.