Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by speed_of_fresh
I was in the United Club at SFO on March 31. They had brochures at the United Club ticketing counter with the 1st Year $395 Annual Fee Waived Offer if you use the personal invitation code inside the brochure and apply for the card by May 31, 2012.
Shoot! I was there the same weekend, but didn't look at the brochures. I won't fly SFO again until end of May.

If anyone will have access to a brochure and can PM me the code, I'd really appreciate it and will pay it forward. Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
Originally Posted by LordByran
I've benefited incredibly from this forum and all the people on it, and I want to try and do my part to give back.

The current promotion that is going around is that the United MileagePlus Club Card has a $95 statement credit for the $395 fee. However, I came across an offer for the first year waived.

I stumbled across this an hour ago and have been trying to replicate the exact steps to get the offer to show up. I found another poster who managed to find the same offer as well on the United forum. As far as I know, it's possibly tied to either status with United or having a previous MileagePlus Explorer card. YMMV but see if it works on your end. I started off with a fresh browser and everything logged off (e.g. Chase, United, etc.):

1) Log into your United MileagePlus account via united.com
2) Click on the following link: https://www.theexplorercard.com/MPCl...rce=navigation

I clicked through to the application and there's no explicit mention of the fee waiver, so if applying I fully recommend screen-shotting everything in case an issue does arise. I can only access this link after logging in to United, so I believe this is status linked.

UPDATE: Must have status with United.
UPDATE #2: For those having trouble, others have had success clearing their browser cache and logging into Chase first before clicking on the link. Sometimes multiple clicks may be required, but it worked perfectly the way I mentioned above. One FTer found language of the fee waiver in the "Pricing and Terms" of the application.
I followed these instructions, and it worked perfectly on my end. While enrolling online, a page comes up that confirms the waive of first year fee. Note that I could not get the first year free offer until I followed these instructions and logged into Chase first.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PS, AA GLD, SPG GLD, PC PLT, CC GLD
After logging into United and checking on my reservations, I noticed that sometimes there were small ads in the upper corner of the page that advertised the 1st year free United Club Card. That might be another way to access the application.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LordByran
After logging into United and checking on my reservations, I noticed that sometimes there were small ads in the upper corner of the page that advertised the 1st year free United Club Card. That might be another way to access the application.
I also see the United Club Card offer in the top right hand corner when I go the the Credit Cards page of united.com. On the front page I only get the free Explorer Card offer.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by speed_of_fresh
I was in the United Club at SFO on March 31. They had brochures at the United Club ticketing counter with the 1st Year $395 Annual Fee Waived Offer if you use the personal invitation code inside the brochure and apply for the card by May 31, 2012.
If someone has a spare brochure with an unused invite code, I would also love getting one.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 8, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I too would appreciate a code for the first year free. Thank you.

Edit: I don't need it anymore as I have received a code. Thanks again HankAAFlyer.

Last edited by 14940674; Apr 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm
Old Apr 8, 2012, 7:25 pm

Got this to work.

Opened a Chrome Incognito browser.
Signed into united.com
Signed into chase.com
Clicked link.
Instantly approved!

Thanks, OP.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:58 pm

access code?

Might anyone have an extra access code they could pm me? I won't be at the airport for a few more weeks and this would help. Thanks to everyone as I have found these threads quite useful and look forward to contributing as I'm fairly new to the site.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 5:13 am

For those of you looking for a code, simply pick up the brochure the next time you walk by a UAL Club. They had a stack when I was in Chicago over the weekend, although you had to specifically ask for one, as they were kept behind the counter. During a connection in Denver, both clubs were out of the brochures, but said that more should be coming in.

Given that you are all frequent flyers, simply stop by a club during your next flight. If you don't fly that often, why bother taking the ding to your FICO score just for the sake of having the card. You might then be better off with the Explorer card that comes with the 40K+/- mile enrollment bonus, in addition to two club passes.

Last edited by TTT103; Apr 10, 2012 at 5:28 am
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:42 am

Out of curiosity, has any non-elite called Chase and asked for the no annual fee promo?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Silver
Spare Access code

If anyone has a spare access code, would really appreciate it! Moving to Chicago and would be great to have some sort of status to begin with on UA as I will be flying them exclusively from now on. Looking forward to contributing to this site which has been extremely helpful.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:47 pm

From what I can recall, with this card you can get the close-in fee waived for award travel right? If anyone is travelling soon, would appreciate the code as well.

Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: Starwood & HH Gold, A-Club Plat. Star Alliance Gold
Already got the MileagePlus, but definitely interested in this one as well. Would really appreciate an invite code. Thanks gents.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 5:04 pm

Just got the card. Nice that they UPS Next Day'd it. Now time to get Hyatt Platinum & Avis Pres Club(?)...
Old Apr 10, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: *G, UA Plat, Hertz Pres
Does anyone have the number for the reconsideration line? I got a "Decision Pending" probably because I have ~100k in credit with Chase CCs already and I would happily move some of that credit limit to this card. Was just about to buy club membership, this will save me that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.