Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions about Ultimate Rewards 7% annual bonus, awarded in February [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
You'll receive a 7% Annual Points Dividend on all new points earned on purchases made with your Chase Sapphire Preferred card during the previous year. ("Year" means, for your first year as a cardmember, the period beginning with your Enrollment Date through your billing cycle with a December closing date of that same year. For each year thereafter, "Year" means the twelve billing cycle period beginning the day after your billing cycle with a December closing date through your billing cycle with a December closing date of the next year.) Your 7% Annual Points Dividend will appear on your January or February billing statement. You will not earn the 7% Annual Points Dividend on new account bonus points, previous Annual Points Dividends awarded, or points transferred into your account. There is no maximum number of points that you can accumulate in the program. Bonus/Promotional offers may have a maximum accumulation. See Rewards Program Rules and Regulations which will be mailed after your account is established.
Even though the terms specify that the 7% Dividend will be awarded on the January or February statement, this has been pushed forward to March in 2014 for some accounts. See discussion beginning at post 206.
Print Wikipost

Questions about Ultimate Rewards 7% annual bonus, awarded in February [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Good to hear that confirmation. Thanks!

Sooooooo...... if you transfer points back and forth many many times, I wonder if each transfer is counted as "earn" and thus qualifies for the 7% dividend???

For instance,

50k transfer to and from your SP account each day would "earn" you slightly over 18m points. A 7% dividend on that would be more than 1m points. This could be good I guess it would all depend on whether points transfers are monitored and whether the 7% dividend is manually or automatically added. Thoughts?
Old May 15, 2012, 8:19 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of 7% year-end bonus has been merged into primary Sapphire Preferred thread. Scroll back to December 2011 / January 2012 for ample reports of what does (or not) qualify.
Old May 15, 2012, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by mia
Discussion of 7% year-end bonus has been merged into primary Sapphire Preferred thread. Scroll back to December 2011 / January 2012 for ample reports of what does (or not) qualify.
I saw only two related posts:

Post 584 which confirmed transfers from Freedom do count as "earn"
Post 643 which asked the question if transferred points count as "earn"

Other than that, I didn't see any such discussion.

I just did my own little transfer of points today from my SP to my Fr and then back again. Everything went smoothly. I'm thinking of doing this every day and then seeing if the points post at the end of the year. Seems like a lot of work to do for something that is unconfirmed, but I'll try it anyway. It also means that I'll be stuck paying for the annual fee for the SP (I wasn't planning on keeping it) but it's worth it for the prospect of 1m UR points.

Aside: I'm really surprised there hasn't been more discussion around this. Maybe it's kept underground...

I guess my real questions are:

Are point transfers between account monitored?

Is the year end dividend posted automatically or manually?

If anyone has any insight into this, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by mia; May 15, 2012 at 10:25 am Reason: Add link to post 584
Old May 15, 2012, 10:24 am
mia

Moderator action

I have moved ramalama8's thread into one I had created earlier using the relevant posts which I thought were still in this thread. Sorry for the confusion.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:34 am
mia

Originally Posted by ramalama8
I just did my own little transfer of points today from my SP to my Fr and then back again.
Transfers are recorded as adjustments, not as earned points. Chase may pay the 7% bonus on a net positive adjustment for the year (e.g. transfers from Freedom to Sapphire), but churning in and out would be irrelevant.
Old May 15, 2012, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I have moved ramalama8's thread into one I had created earlier using the relevant posts which I thought were still in this thread. Sorry for the confusion.
No worries. Thanks for keeping all of this together.

Originally Posted by mia
Transfers are recorded as adjustments, not as earned points. Chase may pay the 7% bonus on a net positive adjustment for the year (e.g. transfers from Freedom to Sapphire), but churning in and out would be irrelevant.
Are you sure??? How do you know? When I go to my UR account, I see three categories on the left hand side under the heading of "Current Statement Summary" - Adjustments, Redemptions and Transfers. Are you sure that all "earn" isn't classified as an "adjustment?"
Old May 15, 2012, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by ramalama8
No worries. Thanks for keeping all of this together.

Are you sure??? How do you know? When I go to my UR account, I see three categories on the left hand side under the heading of "Current Statement Summary" - Adjustments, Redemptions and Transfers. Are you sure that all "earn" isn't classified as an "adjustment?"
If you look at your statement it'll show the differences. Earned points will be broken down while transferred points will show up as adjustments or courtesy adjustments.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:58 pm

Which transactions earn Sapphire Preferred 7% bonus?

Which Sapphire Preferred transactions earn end of the year 7% bonus?

1) Suppose I pay with CSP at a cab. As I understand all 2x points earned are eligible for 7% bonus
2) Suppose I click through UR mall and purchase something at LivingSocial for 3x points. Do I earn 7% bonus on both base and bonus points or only on base points?
3) Suppose I use CSP UR mall link, but pay with another card. Does such transaction earn 7% bonus?

Thanks ^
Old Oct 25, 2012, 2:35 pm

I think the bonus applies to any UR points that you earn. It's 7% of your total personally accumulated UR balance.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: All of them
You get 7% on the sign up bonus as well.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Chase S Prefered 7% bonus? worth the annual fee?

Is it better to pay the annual fee based on the 7% bonus ?

My husband's card expires in February... I just got one in Sept.

Where would he see the 7% amount that he would receive? should he pay the annual fee? or would he just figure it out on his own by looking at the annual expenditure?

Last edited by duranza; Oct 31, 2012 at 2:36 pm
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
The 7% will post in February, you can transfer the points to your CSP and cancel it after they post.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:06 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
In regards to whether or not you should pay the annual fee it is going to depend on how much you value the UR points at. I'm in a similar boat where my 50K bonus points didn't post until after January 1st meaning I did not get the 7% bonus on them last year. Now I have A LOT more points that would earn the 7% bonus so I am planning to keep it open 1 more year just to get the 7% dividend THIS year.

It's all a value vs. reward. How much do you value the Ultimate Rewards points... and based on that value you how big would your 7% dividend bonus need to be to make it worth the $95 fee.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 4:24 pm

I think Chase Sapphire Preferred is very easy keeper at $95 annual fee. The value of UR program is tremendous.

Originally Posted by Dad to GO
In regards to whether or not you should pay the annual fee it is going to depend on how much you value the UR points at. I'm in a similar boat where my 50K bonus points didn't post until after January 1st meaning I did not get the 7% bonus on them last year. Now I have A LOT more points that would earn the 7% bonus so I am planning to keep it open 1 more year just to get the 7% dividend THIS year.

It's all a value vs. reward. How much do you value the Ultimate Rewards points... and based on that value you how big would your 7% dividend bonus need to be to make it worth the $95 fee.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by BigRedBears
I think Chase Sapphire Preferred is very easy keeper at $95 annual fee. The value of UR program is tremendous.
No doubt.. but I just got one in Sept and was looking to cancel the one my husband has in February.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.