Wiki Posts
Search

Chase freedom card that I never asked for

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2016, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Chase freedom card that I never asked for

This question probably popped up last year when the Amtrak card was automatically replaced with 'Freedom' cards, but I can't find an answer through searching. So my question is simple:

I received the Freedom card that Chase sent me to replace my Amtrak card, but I've never used it and I never got around to canceling it. Am I out of luck for receiving the normal sign up bonus for this card? I obviously never asked for the card and so I'm planning to cancel it unless they give me the sign up bonus, which I doubt that they will. What did others do when Chase sent them this card unsolicited?
Old Aug 14, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You never get a signup bonus if you don't apply for the card "from scratch". No signup bonus if the bank converts you, no signup bonus if you product convert the card yourself.

however, the signup bonus on the Freedom card is puny (max 10k in recent years). If you just follow the rotating bonuses and use this card just for them, you can probably outdo the signup bonus pretty quickly. Between 10x points on Amazon 4Q 2015, 5x grocery, 5x gas, and 5x restaurant bonuses so far in 2016, without doing anything other than my ordinary spend in those categories, I've earned more than 15k UR points in the less than a year since Chase converted my AGR card to Freedom.

So aren't you shooting yourself in the foot by not using the card just because you didn't get a tiny signup bonus???

Evaluate how much the rotating bonus could earn you, and compare that to any other cards you have, and evaluate whether to keep it that way, not based on some tiny bonus you missed out on because you decided not to apply for this card before Chase auto-converted you.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:36 am

Good points.

BTW, I do recall a 20K sign up last year (short period of time) when I got the Freedom.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by sdsearch
You never get a signup bonus if you don't apply for the card "from scratch". No signup bonus if the bank converts you, no signup bonus if you product convert the card yourself.
In 2014, a Chase Slate card which I never used was unilaterally converted to a Freedom by Chase. That Freedom card came with a $100 (10,000 UR points) bonus after $500 of spending.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bawr
In 2014, a Chase Slate card which I never used was unilaterally converted to a Freedom by Chase. That Freedom card came with a $100 (10,000 UR points) bonus after $500 of spending.
But you were notified of that, right?

AFAIK, no one who got converted from AGR to Freedom got such a notification.

What I meant is that absent a specific notification that the conversion is eligible for a bonus (another example would be certain ways of upgrading the Amex no-fee Hilton card to the Amex Hilton Surpass card have a bonus explained in the upgrade offer), you generally do not get a bonus for a product conversion, whether initiated by you or by the bank.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 5:31 pm

Programs: Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But you were notified of that, right?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.