Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Limited Availability] UA MP Explorer- Up to 55K & possible $50 stmt credit

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
[This thread is now archived.
Please continue the discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...rd-2016-a.html

[/B][/SIZE]

============================================

[/b] 50 + 5k offer for personal card. Requires MileagePlus login; redirects to https://www.theexplorercard.com/50kAFW
  • 50k miles after $3000 spend within first 3 months
  • 5k miles for adding an authorized user
  • No annual fee first year
  • No FTF
  • Each calendar year, you are eligible to receive one 10,000-mile bonus after you reach $25,000 in net purchases on your Card.

For discussion of card benefits, see the master thread in the United forum.
My math says a 50K offer. Where do the extra points come from?
The extra 5000 points come from adding an authorized user after you have been approved for the card.
Is there a business card?
Yes, and Flyertalk has a thread devoted to the business card: United business card: 50k+10k united miles
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015-Present
Print Wikipost

[Limited Availability] UA MP Explorer- Up to 55K & possible $50 stmt credit

Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by KHTravelBitten
I've heard of more availability when searching for award seats as a perk of being a cardholder.
Is this accurate? I've not heard of this.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by muji
Is this accurate? I've not heard of this.
I think an official perk is that there is always non-saver availability as long as the flight is not sold out. I have heard as an unofficial perk that there is more saver availability for card holders, but I have not seen it confirmed.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by billybayswater
I think an official perk is that there is always non-saver availability as long as the flight is not sold out. I have heard as an unofficial perk that there is more saver availability for card holders, but I have not seen it confirmed.
What I have heard is that the additional saver availability is for those with any level (ie, Silver+) of UA status, and for those with any level of UA status the additional perk of the card is not more avialbility, but supposedly the capability to upgrade on award flights (which you can't do without the card).

I've not heard recent reports of the card itself giving extra availability to those without status. Make sure you're not confusing reports from years ago with recent reports, as this benefit may have changed over time.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last year I was able to see an Asian partner coach seats for an intra-Asia segment. The ticket could not be booked online so had to call in. Rep in Philippines said you must have the UA card because the seat would not come up normally. No idea if it remains true.

The UA cards offer primary rental car coverage in the US. Though I believe CSP has the same benefit too.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
What I have heard is that the additional saver availability is for those with any level (ie, Silver+) of UA status, and for those with any level of UA status the additional perk of the card is not more avialbility, but supposedly the capability to upgrade on award flights (which you can't do without the card).

I've not heard recent reports of the card itself giving extra availability to those without status. Make sure you're not confusing reports from years ago with recent reports, as this benefit may have changed over time.
Here's an article from 2013 that hits on the issue: http://www.milevalue.com/the-united-...ggest-benefit/

Again, I don't know if this still applies or not.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:25 pm
In memoriam

My rule is not to pay annual fees.

I have had the UAL card several times over the years, each time collecting a hefty bonus.

I'd rather get another bonus than hope for greater award availability which may not even exist.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:33 pm

Travel benefits when flying UA: priority boarding (Group 2), free checked-luggage (on domestic flights) and 2 passes to UA lounge. For UA elite or elite-want-be, PQD wavier from CC spend (except 1K).
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by KHTravelBitten
My AF is coming due for this card soon, and I am trying to decide on whether to keep this card or cancel/downgrade.

I've heard of more availability when searching for award seats as a perk of being a cardholder, but not sure of the details. I am in the Boston area, so I have plenty of airline options so I am not bound to flying United. Also I doubt I would spend enough on it within a year to get the 10K mile bonus.

What are good reasons to keep this card after the 1st year?
I'd say keep it. The primary CDW coverage for car rentals, free checked bag & free Club Lounge passes are reason enough for me.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
My rule is not to pay annual fees.

I have had the UAL card several times over the years, each time collecting a hefty bonus.

I'd rather get another bonus than hope for greater award availability which may not even exist.
That was my original thought, but then the new Chase 'unofficial' restrictions on approvals gave me pause, on whether I would be able to get it again.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by philemer
I'd say keep it. The primary CDW coverage for car rentals, free checked bag & free Club Lounge passes are reason enough for me.
The car rental piece is an interesting point. I downgraded my CSP recently to the Sapphire, so I think I lost out on that benefit with that card. If I keep the United card, it will probably be due to the rental coverage.

In any event, I'll see what retention offers I can get.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:48 pm

United 50k Offer Link transferable?

When I logged on to United, I got the 50k offer for United credit card. But my spouse does not get that offer. Can I apply for him using my offer link? When we use that link, it redirects him to the 30k instead under his account. Anyone has similar experience?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flybie
When I logged on to United, I got the 50k offer for United credit card. But my spouse does not get that offer. Can I apply for him using my offer link? When we use that link, it redirects him to the 30k instead under his account. Anyone has similar experience?
If you read back, what you experience has been experienced by many many people before.

This has been discussed dozens of times.

An account has to be targeted to see the 50K offer. If not, there is not much you can do.

One last thing you can try, logged in as your husband, then make a flight search - if that still does not bring up a 50K offer, then that is it. He would need to wait till the next public 50K offer to come in order to get that.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:01 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by deltame
Travel benefits when flying UA: priority boarding (Group 2), free checked-luggage (on domestic flights) and 2 passes to UA lounge. For UA elite or elite-want-be, PQD wavier from CC spend (except 1K).
Is the free checked luggage not applicable for international flights?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NDN
Is the free checked luggage not applicable for international flights?
As of now the first checked bag on international flight is always free, card or no card, IIRC.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by billybayswater
Here's an article from 2013 that hits on the issue: http://www.milevalue.com/the-united-...ggest-benefit/

Again, I don't know if this still applies or not.
FWIW, MileValue actually just posted an update (probably as a result of the linking in this thread) saying this benefit is still out there. http://www.milevalue.com/the-united-...811131219968:0

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.