Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Card EMV chip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Cool Hyatt Card EMV chip

This morning I received an email from Chase letting me know that I was being sent a new EMV Chip equipped Hyatt card. Has anyone else received this and possibly know if its the true chip and pin or is it the chip and signature like the Palladium card?

Last edited by thecloser; Feb 27, 2012 at 1:15 pm Reason: correct link
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by thecloser
This morning I received an email from Chase letting me know that I was being sent a new EMV Chip equipped Hyatt card. Has anyone else received this and possibly know if its the true chip and pin or is it the chip and signature like the Palladium card?

Very cool! I've encountered a few challenges overseas because I did not have a chip-enabled credit card. I'm glad to see that this may be coming to all of us.

Ron
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Did you try clicking on the "Learn more" link? Your question is answered there!

(And for the record, this is a chip & signature card. Not sure what, if any, benefit this has to us travelers.)
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select

Clicking the "smart chip" link should direct you to the FAQ page:
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...-chip-card.htm

Q. Can I get a Chip with PIN card instead of a Chip with Signature card?
A. No, at this time all Smart Chip cards issued by Chase Bank USA are Chip with Signature.

Q. What if a merchant asks for a PIN during the purchase?
A. Simply follow the instructions on the point of sale terminal to complete the transaction. Explain to the merchant that your card is Chip with Signature and a PIN is not required or necessary.
You'd better start learning how to say curse words in binary in order to explain to the "merchant" that doesn't happen to be a live human being.

If you really want a Chip-and-PIN card, just tell Chase that you can easily apply for the Andrews FCU GlobeTrek Rewards card which offers full Chip-and-PIN, has no annual fee, and has a low 1% forex fee. Tell them that other options are available and they'll soon react to it that world travelers want full Chip-and-PIN and not a half-assed Chip-and-Signature solution.

US banks need to realize that merchants and retailers are doing labor cuts as much as they are and more places are being replaced with automated machines which have no live human being in them. It's not simple as "just tell them it's a Signature card;" what are you going to do, yell and curse at a machine?

Last edited by kebosabi; Feb 27, 2012 at 1:45 pm
Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
It would be a huge competitive advantage to Chase if they'd combine the no foreign exchange fee card with a true world ready chip and pin card. I can't figure out why the US card issuers won't go in this direction. What am I missing?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

This is another in the family of Chase cards to add Chip & Signature. Discussion in progress:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...signature.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...signature.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.