Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Problems requesting a metal Sapphire Preferred Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:06 am
Original Poster

While I'm not detailing trouble I'm having with the card, I am having major issues getting the new metal design. I first herd of it while reading this post and immediately called up the Sapphire preferred rep and asked if I could please have it. He said no, and that the metal cards were issued as a special test to selected individuals. However, a few minutes later he called back and said it was possible to overnight a new metal card to me, but when I got the package it was a simple plastic one. So I called back and spoke to another person, and the same plastic card arrived the following day. Finally, after arguing with several CSR about the fact that the metal card is possible and it is not just for a selected few card holders i spoke to a gentlemen who ordered the card and told me it would take 7-10 business days to arrive. When I called to speak to someone yesterday about the status she told me that the metal preferred card is shipped out to the customer when the anniversary date approaches as their new card and that i would have to wait until mine(which is december of 2013) and that i shouldn't get my hopes up of actually getting the metal cards next week that they could be plastic. Then So I called back and spoke to a gentlemen a few hours later to verify if she was correct or not, and after putting me on hold for a half hour to verify thing he said that the lady I spoke to was wrong and that I should indeed be getting the metal cards, and that they are the new designs being shipped out for Preferred card holders from now on unless they request a plastic design.

While it is a long reply,my main question for everyone is: are people having a terrible time trying to request this card be sent to them. Im really surprised how un-knowledgabble the CSRs seem to be in the Orlando call center(which is usually the center I get when I call, and it seems to me that no one knows anything about this metal card, and usually don't care to do any research to answer my question unlike the springfield center) I was just wondering if people have been able to call up and order the metal card and actually have a metal one arrive, and if so is the 7-10 business days a sign for the metal card arriving(I was just told that it takes a bit longer to make since it has to be laser engraved)
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Welcome to Flyertalk.

I have split your post into a separate thread because it is really a distinct topic.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:09 pm

Is it honestly worth all the hassle and frustration to get a metal credit card?

I have one and I hate it.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: CX Silver
From my understanding all of the Chase Saphire preferred card are the metal ones. The non-preferred ones are the normal plastic versions. Maybe you have the non-preferred version?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by tchen811
From my understanding all of the Chase Saphire preferred card are the metal ones.
Not so. I have a plastic Preferred.

FYI, OP, I requested an additional card for one of my sons & received a metal card for him reasonably promptly, without any hassle. (Also, welcome to FT!)
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by Jesperss
Is it honestly worth all the hassle and frustration to get a metal credit card?

I have one and I hate it.
+1
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Yeah I have right now the Plastic Preferred card, and hopefully after everything is done and over I should have the metal preferred card when it arrives. It just seems that the Customer service reps know very little of this card. Have any of you experienced that.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:48 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but the OP has been trying to get a new version of the metal card. I'm not sure such a thing exists, however. The post implied to me that he was trying to get a different version of the metal card, which he already has.

Perhaps the problem is that there isn't a new version?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

No, I have the plastic chase sapphire preferred card, and was trying to get the metal chase sapphire preferred card design. It something new that they came out with for the preferred card holders. Im just trying to get a metal card but when i call to discuss replacing my plastic for metal half of the CSR don't know what I'm talking about and say the metal is only a trial. The other half order it and say its metal but arrives plastic. Hopefully like i mentioned in the long intro the set of cards that should arrive next week should be metal.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:35 pm

Programs: many
Originally Posted by spcitrin
they came out with for the preferred card holders.
Thats the problem. You need to be preferred, not the card, and until you earn that preferred level, you will only get a commoner's plastic version.

J/K, either way, you really shouldnt go through all the hassle.
1. The metal card attracts unwanted remarks and attention.
2. Its harder to read, especially in low light.

But if it is your fanaticism, go for it.

Oh, and, it doesnt shine as bright as the ad next to this thread collumn.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:39 pm

Oh, sorry then. I guess I misunderstood you.

I didn't know the card was metal when I got it, it just came that way. Although there is a certain "cool" factor, I get sick of people telling me it's heavy. And having trouble swiping it. And thinking about what I'll have to do when it comes time to get rid of it . . .
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Palaimo
I get sick of people telling me it's heavy. And having trouble swiping it.
It's the only card I've ever had that can't be universally read. It's not embossed enough for the old systems (that attempt to get an imprint of the name and number) and it's apparently problematic in certain swipe readers. I think that 10% of the time I've needed to use a different card to complete a transaction. Hopefully you'll get a metal card with the same number as your plastic card --- as you'll probably find that the plastic one will come in handy!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After having enough times the waiter/waitress simply return the card back to me after I hand them the card when traveling in Asia, I decide to always flip it over and show to them the Visa logo and the very hard to see meg strip.

It is an extra step each time but it seems to stop the puzzled look and confusion.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:11 am
Original Poster

ITS HERE

FINALLY, I was so excited to get a letter that felt a bit heavier than usual AND well its my new card. Im excited to use it some time this week and see what responses I get. I think I will enjoy the benefit of striking up random conversations with people the most over any benefit that the card actually includes.

Might have to use it to buy a new wallet as its deff a tab bit thicker and seems to not fit as easy in my wallet as the plastic one did but just means more points lol

WELL WORTH THE HASSLE
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:01 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by spcitrin
FINALLY, I was so excited to get a letter that felt a bit heavier than usual AND well its my new card. Im excited to use it some time this week and see what responses I get.
Have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.