Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 16, 12, 11:02 pm   #31

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
Did anyone encounter any trouble swiping the Sapphire Preferred card?

I've encountered a parking meter and two different McDonalds store's card reader simply cannot read the card.
It works fine for me so far except in one cafe I often frequent. It always fails to get read there, and the cashier has to manually enter the numbers (which confusingly to the cashier, are also on the back rather than the front).
FruJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 12, 11:06 pm   #32

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Gold
Also no problems here anywhere in the U.S. so far and on trips to Italy and India... why would the material affect the swiping?
transparent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 12, 11:34 pm   #33

Programs: A3 Blue, Mileage Plus Premier, SkyPesos, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat., Asia Miles
They didn't answer my question as to whether others have this problem, but I suspect I'll be getting the non-metal card soon.

Dear JapanFlyerT,

I apologize for any inconvenience you have encountered
while attempting to use your card.

Please be assured that, a replacement card for your
account ending in XXXX will be mailed to the address
listed on your account, and you should receive it within 3
to 5 business days.

Further, after reviewing your account I found no reason
why a charge should be declined. In isolated cases, the
processing terminal sends information that we could not
match to our files. I can assure you that your account is
open and in good standing, so the merchant should have
received approval for your charge.

If you have any further questions, please reply using the
Secure Message Center.

Thank you,

[Moderator edit]
E-Mail Customer Service Representative

Last edited by mia; Jan 17, 12 at 7:45 am.. Reason: Remove employee name
JapanFlyerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 12, 8:07 pm   #34

Programs: UA (former CO), TrueBlue, Etc.
Actually just had this problem today - at Pret a Manger on at the corner of 39th and 7th Ave, NYC.

On the other hand, I have a different problem - Chase keeps sending me plastic versions of the Sapphire Preferred. I've gotten one a day for the last four mailing days. It's kind of exciting - I may just use a different card for each day of the week.
patchmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 12, 8:30 am   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchmonkey View Post
Actually just had this problem today - at Pret a Manger on at the corner of 39th and 7th Ave, NYC.

On the other hand, I have a different problem - Chase keeps sending me plastic versions of the Sapphire Preferred. I've gotten one a day for the last four mailing days. It's kind of exciting - I may just use a different card for each day of the week.
Weird... I use my metal SappPref at that locations at least twice a week, no problem. But I just have the one...
Scudder35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 12, 7:40 pm   #36

Programs: UA 1K. AA Plat. Mid-tier on Club Carlson, SPG, Marriott, IHG, & Hilton.
Interesting. I've used my sapphire card in a number of countries in SE Asia and around the U.S., and I've never had a problem (more than a couple confused looks at the card though. . . including having to point out a few times that it is a Visa card in Asia!).
100countrygoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 12, 8:26 pm   #37

Programs: PR Premier Elite, BR Silver
I actually had my first issue the other day at the grocery store. It failed to swipe 4 or 5 times. Finally the slow swipe did the trick. I never had trouble before even at the same store so I think it must just be that terminal. In any case the "slow swipe" advice seems to have merit.

I really like the metal card and unique features though. It's just plain cool looking.
Mabuk dan gila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 12, 5:15 pm   #38

Programs: AA Gold, Starwood Gold
Trouble with taxis

Been around the US and Canada a lot with the card and the major problem I have found is when I run into a taxi that will not take the card since it does not have raised letters. This thread is another good example of why one should not travel, especially out of the home country, with just one credit card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
Did anyone encounter any trouble swiping the Sapphire Preferred card?

I've encountered a parking meter and two different McDonalds store's card reader simply cannot read the card.

I and the cashier tried different ways and it's always card error.

The parking reader and the McDonalds are fine reading any of my other cards.

The Sapphire Preferred is also fine at someother places.

I gave Chase a call and their rep says due to the material of the card, some older card readers might have trouble reading the card.

So, I am wondering, did anyone encounter any trouble swiping the Sapphire Preferred card?
TravelTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 12, 8:04 pm   #39

Sapphire Preferred in the a Japanese machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirnna View Post
This card simply doesn't work in numerous Japanese POS machines and notably will not work in any NEXCO expressway payment boxes. I thought it was because the card was metal, if you ask Chase will send you a completely lame, standard, plastic, embossed version of the card. Problem is it still has something goofy with the magnetic strip and while I have not had any problems with it since ditching the metal version in Japanese PoS machines, the plastic version still refuses to work on the expressway. I'm loosing out on thousands of x2 points for travel in tolls each month thanks to this thing not working. I asked that a trouble ticket be submitted, but I was probably ignored. My Chase UA and Hyatt cards all work fine and they have a more traditional magnetic strip.

I went through 3 metal cards before I switched to the plastic. Each would work in all machines and then slowly stop working until they wouldn't work in any Japanese infox/etc POS machines. So frustrating. Even worse is that since Japanese people almost never use credit cards no one knows how and/or is unauthorized to manually enter a credit card number. I literally met the first Japanese person in my entire life on a recent hotel stay that knew how to manually enter a card, but it still didn't work.
I've also had problems here and there in Japan. The weird thing is that it will work on day at Seiyu (Japan's Walmart) and then the next day, it won't. They will try over and over again, but to no avail. I've even had a lady manually punch in the numbers and for some reason, it STILL didn't work. That baffles me to no end, seeing as it worked the day before by swiping. Weird, and a bit annoying.
civico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 12, 8:49 pm   #40

Programs: A3 Blue, Mileage Plus Premier, SkyPesos, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat., Asia Miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila View Post
I actually had my first issue the other day at the grocery store. It failed to swipe 4 or 5 times. Finally the slow swipe did the trick. I never had trouble before even at the same store so I think it must just be that terminal. In any case the "slow swipe" advice seems to have merit.

I really like the metal card and unique features though. It's just plain cool looking.
It worked 95% in Thailand (failed once I think).

Chase finally got round to sending me the replacement card they promised a month ago. It too is metal and weighs in at a hefty 12g (normal cards are 4g). Of course it did not scan at the first place I tried to use it here in Japan, but after 5 attempts and an ultra slow swipe it did go through.

It does work at the gas stations 100% though.

My wife has given up trying to use it, as she is too embarrassed by causing the inconvenience to the clerk (and people waiting behind her).
JapanFlyerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 12, 8:58 pm   #41
Used to be "keirnna"

Programs: Hyatt Diamond & SPG Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT View Post
It worked 95% in Thailand (failed once I think).

Chase finally got round to sending me the replacement card they promised a month ago. It too is metal and weighs in at a hefty 12g (normal cards are 4g). Of course it did not scan at the first place I tried to use it here in Japan, but after 5 attempts and an ultra slow swipe it did go through.

It does work at the gas stations 100% though.

My wife has given up trying to use it, as she is too embarrassed by causing the inconvenience to the clerk (and people waiting behind her).
Get the plastic version.
Old Feb 13, 12, 1:47 pm   #42

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
I have yet to have an issue at a gas pump, subway station, or anywhere else I use the card (and that's everywhere as it has become my main card). Plenty of comments on the weight but that's it.
Smerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 12, 2:01 pm   #43

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
I've never had a problem swiping it - but it does often take the merchant a few seconds to figure out which side is the front.
cwilson830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 12, 11:43 pm   #44

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM, UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Mine wouldn't swipe at the gas station so I had to go inside and have the cashier run the card.

It's not as pretty since she couldn't figure it out which was to swipe it so it has a bunch of scratches across the front.
wrxmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 12, 4:29 pm   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxmom View Post
Mine wouldn't swipe at the gas station so I had to go inside and have the cashier run the card.

It's not as pretty since she couldn't figure it out which was to swipe it so it has a bunch of scratches across the front.
Mine is terribly scratched up on the front as well. Have not had any swiping problems yet tho.
TurboKaren512 is offline   Reply With Quote