Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Ink Bold reward structure + no foreign transaction fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond

It seems like Chase has changed the Ink Bold product slightly:

- no foreign transaction fee
- 5x points on office supply stores and cable/wireless/landline, up to $50K annually
- 2x points on gas and hotels, up to $50K annually
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:59 am
Original Poster

I called Chase about my existing Ink Bold opened last month. Was told I would be migrated to the new reward structure and no foreign transaction fee in April. That really sucks.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Just realized there is no mention of the threshold bonuses on the new offer, not sure if that's an oversight or if that's going away.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by nabeelj
It seems like Chase has changed the Ink Bold product slightly:

- no foreign transaction fee
- 5x points on office supply stores and cable/wireless/landline, up to $50K annually
- 2x points on gas and hotels, up to $50K annually

Anyone know how does INk Bold determine which stores qualifies as Office supply? Say if word for a Medical Practice, I buy office supplies for a Medical supplies store? Would that count?

Last edited by cazic99; Nov 24, 2011 at 3:25 pm
Old Nov 24, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA Gold
Just got off the phone with Chase and I figured I'd share:

The representative may have misspoken but this is what she said:
7500 bonus points for $15,000 spent (down from $25,000)
15000 bonus points for next $25,000 spent
25000 bonus points for next $50,000 spent

She did guarantee me that the threshhold bonuses still exist on the new card.

I was also told that they also no longer offer the flat 20% point bonus to Chase Checking customers (found here: https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?...98_tri_landing) by my business banker.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 4:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cazic99
Anyone know how does INk Bold determine which stores qualifies as Office supply?...
Bonus is determined by the merchant's primary business as coded by their transaction acquirer. The goods or services purchased on a specific transaction are irrelevant:

You will earn an additional 4 points for each $1 of net purchases made at merchants that classify their merchant location for Visa/MasterCard in any of the following categories: wireless/telecommunications services (excluding equipment such as phones and fax machines), cable and satellite television and radio services, office supply stores and wholesale distributors of office supplies. We do not determine whether merchants correctly identify and bill transactions as being made at locations in each particular category. However, we do reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for the additional points on category purchases. Purchases not eligible to receive the additional points on category purchases include, but are not limited to, purchases made at superstores, warehouse clubs, discount stores, and their affiliates. Online and catalog purchases are not eligible to receive the additional points on category purchases unless the merchants have correctly identified and billed the transactions.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: many
Last week I received a letter telling me my Ink Bold account has earned a free automatic upgrade to the Ink Bold (funny wording) and that will also receive the 20% more points on every dollar spent. The info pamphlet that came with that welcome letter continued to spell out the bonus spending thresholds as well as have the 20% more points both on it as card benefits.

As of the last statement, the 20% bonus has already posted, but the 7500 for the $25K spend has yet to, so I send a secure message and am awaiting a reply.

If it continues forward with both the 20% and the threshold bonuses, Chase will certainly be my best-est buddy.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by cazic99
Anyone know how does INk Bold determine which stores qualifies as Office supply? Say if word for a Medical Practice, I buy office supplies for a Medical supplies store? Would that count?
I would say that Staples, Office Depot and Office Max definitely qualify as Office supply stores. The rest can only be determined by trial and error with small amounts. Good luck!
Old Nov 27, 2011, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ersan
Just got off the phone with Chase and I figured I'd share:

The representative may have misspoken but this is what she said:
7500 bonus points for $15,000 spent (down from $25,000)
15000 bonus points for next $25,000 spent
25000 bonus points for next $50,000 spent

She did guarantee me that the threshhold bonuses still exist on the new card.

I was also told that they also no longer offer the flat 20% point bonus to Chase Checking customers (found here: https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?...98_tri_landing) by my business banker.
Is there a way prove that the threshhold bonuses still exist on the new card. I really want to apply but only if the threshhold bonus still exists
Old Nov 28, 2011, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by trikotret
Is there a way prove that the threshhold bonuses still exist on the new card. I really want to apply but only if the threshhold bonus still exists
Yes, easy way, CALL chase.

And, via secure message message last night, I received a response that indeed, the spending threshold bonuses were very much intact.

No mention on lowering the levels of the spend as one post had mentioned, at least not for my account.

So...
Large sign up bonus 50K (or the 80K if you were able to get it )
+
Up to 47500 additional bonus for large spending in addition to each point for purchases
+
Plus 20% more on top of that
+
No fees to transfer to desireable partners
=
Christmas came early this year, thank you Santa Chase!

Now, if Chase would offer bonuses for referrals, I could then change my signature.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:26 am
mia

Originally Posted by michael_v
I would say that Staples, Office Depot and Office Max definitely qualify as Office supply stores.
However, the online stores operated by these companies may not. I encountered this problem several years ago, but I cannot say if it has been corrected.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by mia
However, the online stores operated by these companies may not. I encountered this problem several years ago, but I cannot say if it has been corrected.
staples.com and officedepot.com have always qualified for me, at least as far as Amex is concerned. Chase may be a different story.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by pcharles
Yes, easy way, CALL chase.

And, via secure message message last night, I received a response that indeed, the spending threshold bonuses were very much intact.

No mention on lowering the levels of the spend as one post had mentioned, at least not for my account.

So...
Large sign up bonus 50K (or the 80K if you were able to get it )
+
Up to 47500 additional bonus for large spending in addition to each point for purchases
+
Plus 20% more on top of that
+
No fees to transfer to desireable partners
=
Christmas came early this year, thank you Santa Chase!

Now, if Chase would offer bonuses for referrals, I could then change my signature.
I think the reps are basing on the old structure. Dont you think that chase would market the bonus points online. Cuz when you apply it doesnt list the additional spending bonus. Its your word vs their words
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by trikotret
I think the reps are basing on the old structure. Dont you think that chase would market the bonus points online. Cuz when you apply it doesnt list the additional spending bonus. Its your word vs their words
For any new applications, that benefit may no longer be available. As I mentioned, I would call chase before you apply to verify if the spending threshold bonuses are make or break for you.

I have written verification as of last night and saved in my SM inbox that my account will still receive the spending threshold bonuses. I've received multiple account benefits brochure information in the mail a week ago as well. Therre has been no notice of any change to my account other than I now also get the 20% additional bonus on spending. I'm riding that as far as it will allow.

As for anyone else, YMMV.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:53 pm
mia

I have exchanged several Secure Messages with Chase customer service today. Initially they were not aware of the new Ink Bold rewards structure. After I provided a link I was told that my account is not eligible for any of the features of the new program, and that I could not switch to the new program.

Negotiations continue, but my impression is that internally "Ink Bold" is not the same product as "Ink Bold 5-2-1", and the category bonuses of the "5-2-1" card will not apply to older accounts. I realize this is different from what pcharles was told, and this type of misinformation is typical of such transitions, but I doubt anyone will qualify for both the category bonuses and the threshold bonuses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.