Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For the current version of this thread & related wiki, see

IHG Rewards MasterCard (2016).
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
For 80,000 pts, You can book 4 nights in Crown Plaza in Hong Kong, valued over $600 dollars. That's worth quite a bit more than $200 in GCs.
Definitely true, but I'm sure it would cost more than $400 to get to Hong Kong.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by frank3355
True but even 5 nights at say 15,000 points at standard hotel rooms is well over $500
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by frank3355
I think we are on a board talking about Credit Card points and Miles. Using Chase Freedom and Chase Sapphire Preferred, you can get to Hong Kong for a lot less than $400.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by ibleed0range
Never use your points on gift cards. Horrible value. But clearly you got a hotel credit card which you never intend to use. Why not get a different credit card with a better signup bonus?
Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
I think we are on a board talking about Credit Card points and Miles. Using Chase Freedom and Chase Sapphire Preferred, you can get to Hong Kong for a lot less than $400.
Originally Posted by joeyoneone
I signed up using the wiki link Monday night July 7. I clicked on the link and even though the application made no mention of any bonus, I called chase tonight 7/8/14 and they confirmed I will have a bonus of 80,000 points after spending $1000 in the first 3 months. That's worth about $200 or so in gift cards (they have a good selection- amazon, and several nice restaurants like outback, applebees etc and a few gas cards. Worth more obviously if used for hotel stays. The gift card denominations are 11,000 pts for $25, 20,000 points for$50 card, 38,000 points for $100 card, and 74,000 for $200 gift card. You get the most value getting a $200 gift card

Yes, but financing a flight to Hong Kong on a CSP or Freedom would take quite a bit of spending to achieve. I know that many people do manufactured spending on this board, but not all people here do that.

If joeyoneone wants to use his points for gift cards, then perhaps that is the best option for him. For most people, a $200 ROI for spending $1000 on a credit card is a great deal.

Just because other people would make a different choice doesn't mean joeyoneone's choice was wrong for his situation.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeanie
Yes, but financing a flight to Hong Kong on a CSP or Freedom would take quite a bit of spending to achieve. I know that many people do manufactured spending on this board, but not all people here do that.

If joeyoneone wants to use his points for gift cards, then perhaps that is the best option for him. For most people, a $200 ROI for spending $1000 on a credit card is a great deal.

Just because other people would make a different choice doesn't mean joeyoneone's choice was wrong for his situation.
Very succinct points.

The value is in the eyes of the beholder as the old cliche says. One just needs to do what best fits one's needs.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 2:31 pm

Followed the instructions in post 1615 and watched the video and got the 80K offer for $1k spend in 3 months. Completed the application and was immediately approved!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:06 pm

I agree

I agree with all the posts saying using the points for gift cards is crappy value ROI vs hotels. I just took 2 vacations, don't have any hotel visits planned anytime in the next few years. Ive churned just about every good card deal im eligible for already- I was just really letting you know the 80K is still good. I guess I knew I would take some flack for mentioning I chose inferior gift cards on a flyer chat board. Point taken. But I have twins in college, I need the gift cards a lot more than the hotel rooms and ive churned a ton of other deals already. I love this website, just kinda discovered it recently. The feedback on the different topic threads is awesome. I havent used a hotel room in several years. Most of the time when we travel it is a cruise or a condo or visiting relatives. To each his own, but to me having churned most of the good deals, $200 in card value only having to spend $1000 is good for what I am trying to do.Have a great day!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, OW Ruby, IHG PLT, JB Mosiac, Delta Silver, VA Silver, AK MVP, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Happy
See your answers in Blue above.

Did you actually read the Fee schedule? Right there it says 0% forex fee. It does NOT need to be a Chip card to have 0 forex fee. OTOH, being a chip card does NOT mean it is 0% forex fee. They are NOT the same thing for goodness sake.

No, it is not a chip card. No, it does not carry any forex fee.
Thank you for your answers to my questions; though I will point out as the cards only arrived yesterday we did not have a fee schedule in hand to go by. I was asking questions while waiting on the cards.

And yes, I'm quite aware that the card being chipped has nothing to do with the the forex fee.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sperkins921
Thank you for your answers to my questions; though I will point out as the cards only arrived yesterday we did not have a fee schedule in hand to go by. I was asking questions while waiting on the cards.

And yes, I'm quite aware that the card being chipped has nothing to do with the the forex fee.
Oh Please stop making excuses.

When you applied the card online or whatever method you chose, the T&Cs are shown or be told by the agent who took your application, and you would have KNOWN all those answers had you actually read those before submitting your application.

There is NO WAY you would not have access to the Fee Schedule before submitting your application because BY LAW, such Fee Schedule must be made available to the applicants at the time of application.

There is no excuse on "not having the fee schedule in hand to go by", except the fact that you dont bother to read the Fee Schedule / T&Cs when you applied.

If you know the difference between Chip card and forex fee, why you even asked those questions to begin with? You were questioning the card has no chip and wonder if that means it would have forex fee, that was your question. And the answer is in the Fee Schedule which you chose not to read when applying the card... then claim you do not have access to the Fee Schedule because it do not come together with the card.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 9, 2014 at 8:26 pm
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:31 am

There have been times in my adult life when I needed $200 more than a free hotel night. You are right, after a few years there aren't as many cards left to apply for.

I think it is good that you posted. It is a reminder that there is a diversity of goals on this board. Since Chase doesn't allow people to churn cards for the most part, people have to get creative after a while.

Originally Posted by joeyoneone
I agree with all the posts saying using the points for gift cards is crappy value ROI vs hotels. I just took 2 vacations, don't have any hotel visits planned anytime in the next few years. Ive churned just about every good card deal im eligible for already- I was just really letting you know the 80K is still good. I guess I knew I would take some flack for mentioning I chose inferior gift cards on a flyer chat board. Point taken. But I have twins in college, I need the gift cards a lot more than the hotel rooms and ive churned a ton of other deals already. I love this website, just kinda discovered it recently. The feedback on the different topic threads is awesome. I havent used a hotel room in several years. Most of the time when we travel it is a cruise or a condo or visiting relatives. To each his own, but to me having churned most of the good deals, $200 in card value only having to spend $1000 is good for what I am trying to do.Have a great day!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
Just realized a family member's card is still Visa and hasn't been switched yet. They sent a mailer it will be by Sept 6.. Thinking of canceling it (just opened in March) and re-applying later for MC. Anyone else still Visa?
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I'm in the same situation as Jeanie, sanjunk and Frudd... have a fairly new model Visa, just got the letter that my replacement MC will arrive by Sept 6. Thinking I'll cancel and reapply at a later date.
Originally Posted by sanjuk
same here, card by sep 6, and the online conversion to MC by Aug 1.

I cancelled the IHG Visa via SM yesterday. Like I said, it was only open about 4 months, and I prefer to wait at least 6 months. Guess I will see if anything happens...

On other boards I have heard of point clawback if the account is closed too soon. Haven't read that on this thread, though. Will post if anything happens.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Reason to Cancel "Priority Club" Visa Card?

Is there any reason to cancel a no-fee Chase "Priority Club" Visa card, in hopes of getting a signup bonus later for a MC version? The PC card is good through 04/15.

I already have two "IHG Rewards Club" MCs from Chase, and "Priority Club" is an outmoded name for the program.

Thank you.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:50 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by jeanie
I cancelled the IHG Visa via SM yesterday. Like I said, it was only open about 4 months, and I prefer to wait at least 6 months. Guess I will see if anything happens...

On other boards I have heard of point clawback if the account is closed too soon. Haven't read that on this thread, though. Will post if anything happens.
I'm still undecided about cancelling this card, mostly because I'm treading cautiously for reapplying or applying for new new Chase cards. I recently canceled an Ink card to avoid the conversion to Visa. When I reapplied for a new MC Ink, the grilling that I got for 20+ minutes during a recon call was enough to give me pause. The CSR could have been an IRS agent on a tax audit.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I'm still undecided about cancelling this card, mostly because I'm treading cautiously for reapplying or applying for new new Chase cards. I recently canceled an Ink card to avoid the conversion to Visa. When I reapplied for a new MC Ink, the grilling that I got for 20+ minutes during a recon call was enough to give me pause. The CSR could have been an IRS agent on a tax audit.

When I cancelled this card, I made the decision not to apply for new Chase cards for the rest of the year. We'll see how that works out. LOL
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:53 am

Got my 80k points credited to my account 3 days after statement closing. I moved up my close date to get the points quicker.

Chase has effectively paid for my lodging for an upcoming cross-country trip. Thanks chase!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.