Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For the current version of this thread & related wiki, see

IHG Rewards MasterCard (2016).
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Old May 8, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by express3
just great! I've had the visa for about 2years. didn't cancel and it's already been converted to the mc. I had been thinking about doing that, but never got around to it!!! I'm just so mad at myself now!!!! Missed the opportunity to possible get bonus again((
I still have not activated the MC replacement....which I assume will not help if I cancel and apply again.

It's already been converted. It doesn't matter whether or not you choose to activate the card. Sorry.
Old May 8, 2014, 6:49 pm

1) Is this better than Marriott? IHG seems to have more hotels worldwide making it versatile.

2) What should I do at the end of 12months - close or not - otherwise there is a $49 yearly fee but you get a night. This one night, can u redeem anytime during the 12months?

3) Is there a card to convert so that there is no annual fee?

4) Will the points expire after a while?

5) I got the Visa - when can I apply for a MC - will there be another pull?

6) What are best use of these points?
Old May 9, 2014, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by sciconf
1) Is this better than Marriott? IHG seems to have more hotels worldwide making it versatile.
I value IHG and Marriott points fairly similarly. Marriott (in my mind) has more high end properties, but for the credit card, Marriott limits the annual free night to categories 1-5, which are becoming rarer and rarer to find in tourist areas (downtowns of large cities, vacation spots, etc.). Plus, IHG gives you platinum status, which I value at slightly more than Marriott Silver, 10% of your points back on hotel redemptions, and a lower annual fee. If you are comparing just on the credit card, I would go with IHG.

2) What should I do at the end of 12months - close or not - otherwise there is a $49 yearly fee but you get a night. This one night, can u redeem anytime during the 12months?
I keep my card, mainly because it is a way to have a non-churned Chase card so I don't look like someone who just opens an account, gets the bonus, and closes before the Annual Fee gets renewed.

Think about it this way - you get $49 for a free night. Even if you end up using it at the Candlewood Suites West Bumf*ck, you will likely be coming out ahead. I'm lucky as I'm in Philly - NYC and DC are both 90 minutes from me so I use mine in one of those cities (usually NYC).

3) Is there a card to convert so that there is no annual fee?
There are the Chase Freedom (earns cash back) or Slate (low interest) cards, but no fee-free IHG card you can convert to.

4) Will the points expire after a while?
Not currently. If they change it, it will most likely be based on account activity (i.e. they'll expire after 18 months in which you do not earn or redeem at least 1 point).

5) I got the Visa - when can I apply for a MC - will there be another pull?
If you have the Visa currently, you were already converted to a MC.

6) What are best use of these points?
Hotel stays where the point value is at least 0.7 cents, and preferably at least 1 cent, vs. paying in cash at a hotel that works for you. Some people will just compare the price to just the hotel you are staying at, I like to compare it to the area (assuming I don't NEED to stay at a specific hotel) including similar hotels or nicer.

Example: I recently booked several nights in Carmel, Indiana for 10,000 points per night. Even though the hotel was ~$140/night after tax, the cheapest acceptable alternative was a 3* express deal on Priceline for $82/night. I'm getting .82 cents per dollar in value from this, about .9 cents after factoring in the 10% points rebate from the IHG card.
Old May 9, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Marriott limits the annual free night to categories 1-5, which are becoming rarer and rarer to find. Plus, IHG gives you platinum status, which I value at slightly more than Marriott Silver, 10% of your points back on hotel redemptions, and a lower annual fee. If you are comparing just on the credit card, I would go with IHG.

^

Think about it this way - you get $49 for a free night.

^

If you have the Visa currently, you were already converted to a MC.
This happened to my wife. But some people on this thread are reporting that hasn't happened to them yet. Call Chase and see if you are still classified as a Visa. If so, cancel the card immediately, so you can apply in a little while for a MC as a "different" card. Once your account gets converted, you can't do that anymore.

Another advantage of the IHG over the Marriott, is that the M cert is only good for 6 months, and the IHG cert is good for an entire year.
Old May 9, 2014, 9:58 am

When does the IHG give platinum status? After the card approval, or after the 1st month statement?
Old May 9, 2014, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by flyingtiger123
When does the IHG give platinum status? After the card approval, or after the 1st month statement?

Mine was added 2 weeks after opening.
Old May 9, 2014, 6:06 pm

Applied for IHG card this Tuesday with the link "a new Mastercard applicationon" in this thread (Page 93 of 125) and today I see new credit card listed in my Chase account.

I just called Chase to confirm if I will get 80K bonus point after spending $1,000 in first 3 months for this new IHG card and the representative confirmed that I will get 80k and no annual fee for first year :-)
Old May 9, 2014, 9:26 pm

I just found out I don't get the free night until 1 year after card opening... grrr... different from the hyatt and marriott and hilton...
Old May 10, 2014, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
80k points, no fee 1st yr, IHG Rewards (Priority Club) Visa/MC

Wanted to confirm for anyone interested that I applied for this card and got 80k after spending $1000. I applied via the link in the wiki.
Old May 11, 2014, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by hc000
I just found out I don't get the free night until 1 year after card opening... grrr... different from the hyatt and marriott and hilton...
the information was clearly displayed
Old May 11, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, *Gold on UA, FlyingBlue Gold (matched), SPG Plat
If you go to book a hotel at any IHG property, the offer for the 60K card also includes a $50 statement credit for first time IHG cardholders. If you value the points at .5 cents, then that puts this offer on par with the 80K (although still a bit short if you value IHG points higher).
Old May 11, 2014, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Further confirmation that the MC link in the wiki is good for 80K:

During a recent stay, I received a promotional flyer with a code to receive 1000 points after viewing an online video. The video turned out to be a pitch for the new IHG MC; at the end, the website presented a invitation to apply for an 80K offer, with a link to the same application page as in the wiki.
Old May 14, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by hc000
You get the points for signing up, and then you also get the certificate for renewal. The sign up points are good for two nights at really nice properties, so no problem there. And unlike Hyatt, where the renewal certs are only for lower level properties, and Hilton which doesn't give you renewal certs at all, the IHG renewal certificate is good at virtually every IHG property. And it's good for an entire year, unlike Marriot where it expires in 6 months.
Old May 14, 2014, 12:02 pm

Approved for IHG Rewards Club Mastercard 5-14-14

I was just approved for the IHG Rewards Club Mastercard on 5-14-14. I will contact Chase to confirm if I will receive the 80k point bonus after $1k spend in 3 months and share with you all.
Old May 14, 2014, 4:33 pm

Did you use the link/method from this thread?

Originally Posted by kohoutc
I was just approved for the IHG Rewards Club Mastercard on 5-14-14. I will contact Chase to confirm if I will receive the 80k point bonus after $1k spend in 3 months and share with you all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.