Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For the current version of this thread & related wiki, see

IHG Rewards MasterCard (2016).
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge
I thought the AMEX waiting period was only 12 months?
12 months from CLOSE of your previous card. Given most do not cancel an AMEX card in the first 3 months, but more like between 9 to 12 months, it becomes a close to 24 months lapse in reality.

I prefer to compare the 2 on an Application date basis so both are on the same page.

Chase is 24 months from previous application of which you receive a bonus. The language is found in the Denial Postcards that are sent to cardholders on why their bonuses were denied, as reported more than once by those who care to report their experiences, as well as proven by data points on success in getting bonus again when applied on the 25 to 26th month mark.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Happy
12 months from CLOSE of your previous card. Given most do not cancel an AMEX card in the first 3 months, but more like between 9 to 12 months, it becomes a close to 24 months lapse in reality.

I prefer to compare the 2 on an Application date basis so both are on the same page.

Chase is 24 months from previous application of which you receive a bonus. The language is found in the Denial Postcards that are sent to cardholders on why their bonuses were denied, as reported more than once by those who care to report their experiences, as well as proven by data points on success in getting bonus again when applied on the 25 to 26th month mark.
When you say bonus - does that mean "join bonus" or any miles earned by using the card?

Also - for those that were accepted for this IHG card, do you know how long it took to receive the card in the mail?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Also - for those that were accepted for this IHG card, do you know how long it took to receive the card in the mail?
In my #1538 post (seven posts above yours) I mentioned that I got it 7 days after my online approval. Fast!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
I know the website states that you'll be upgraded to PLT status "6-8 weeks" after approval, but does anyone have any markers for how long it really takes?

Are they true to their word, or are there any chances of the PLT status coming through earlier?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by heffa
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
In my #1538 post (seven posts above yours) I mentioned that I got it 7 days after my online approval. Fast!
Thank you! I can't believe I missed that... I did look back a few pages. Getting old ;-)
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by brewdog11
I know the website states that you'll be upgraded to PLT status "6-8 weeks" after approval, but does anyone have any markers for how long it really takes?

Are they true to their word, or are there any chances of the PLT status coming through earlier?
My whole process took about 1 month, bonus pts plus status.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
So since "Chase is 24 months from previous application", then does it matter at all when the first card was canceled?

If the first app was 25 months ago, and that card is still open, can I cancel it today, and reapply tomorrow? Or is there also some minimum time between canceling and reapplying?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
My whole process took about 1 month, bonus pts plus status.
That's not too long at all. Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 2:20 am

I could have sworn that I read someone called Chase to speed up the Plat status after meeting the spend. I will need to have plat status before the 20 of March in order to apply for Hyatt Diamond challenge. Anybody have experience calling in to speed up plat status?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by hitman1420
I could have sworn that I read someone called Chase to speed up the Plat status after meeting the spend. I will need to have plat status before the 20 of March in order to apply for Hyatt Diamond challenge. Anybody have experience calling in to speed up plat status?
I don't think meeting the spend is a prerequisite for status upgrade, so is there any chance that calling right away could help? I would like to have the status more quickly, but I don't want to be ridiculous.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Brugge
So since "Chase is 24 months from previous application", then does it matter at all when the first card was canceled?

If the first app was 25 months ago, and that card is still open, can I cancel it today, and reapply tomorrow? Or is there also some minimum time between canceling and reapplying?
Looking for the answer to my own question, I found this in the Wiki for the Chase S/W cc:

"a reasonable guess is that an interval of 24 months from the first application to the second application and 12 to 18 months from the first cancellation to the second application should suffice".

Which is what I needed to know, I'm good to go for a second app with Chase.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11

Once i got the card, i SM them to request for immediate Platinum status since I was traveling and would like to take advantage of the Plat status. SM replied, and granted me the Plat status immediately. Total time from SM to Plat status was about 3 days.

GOOD LUCK!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 2:48 pm

Data point:

Applied with the link on this thread & instantly approved January 10. Met the spending requirement in ~3 weeks. Received Platinum Status January 29. Got the 80,000 points today (February 24).
Old Feb 24, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Data Point:
My wife and I applied on 2/2/14
Cards in hand 2/10/14

I emailed on 2/4/14 and asked my Platinum status be upgraded sooner as I had IHG stays in the coming days, never got a reply but I was platinum on 2/15 and my wife is still at Gold.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 6:47 pm

80000 IHG Application

Hello, can you please let me know if this link is still valid? Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.