Chase Explorer card rejected at Macys.com

Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Chase Explorer card rejected at Macys.com

My card was rejected at Macys.com because it has an unusual card security code, a repeating number. The website didn't recognize it as a valid code. Has anyone run into this? I have called my credit card company when I got the card and they insisted that this wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by zitsky; Feb 13, 2016 at 12:56 pm
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Ask Chase again and see if you have a declined transaction from Macy's.

If so, it is a Chase issue. Otherwise, Macy's.

You have to isolate who caused the problem first.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
My card was rejected at Macys.com because it has an unusual card security code, a repeating number. The website didn't recognize it as a valid code. Has anyone run into this? I have called my credit card company when I got the card and they insisted that this wouldn't be a problem.
Tell Chase you lost the card and want a new account number to avoid potential issue. Then the new card most likely would have a "normal" cvc than the one the current card has.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:20 am
Original Poster

To clarify, card was rejected because of security code before transaction was processed. So no denied transaction. I was mostly curious if this happened to anyone else. I did ask for a new card with same number and new card had same code. I will call both Macy's and Chase.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 12:49 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
To clarify, card was rejected because of security code before transaction was processed
This sounds more like a browser problem than anything else.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To clarify, card was rejected because of security code before transaction was processed. So no denied transaction. I was mostly curious if this happened to anyone else. I did ask for a new card with same number and new card had same code. I will call both Macy's and Chase.
Why? Since it most likely is the same 3 digits security code is causing issues on some shopping sites during security verification process, why would you want the same thing again?

Macy is not going to modify its online shopping security check because some users could not use their cards. That is almost a given.

I were you I would get a new card number instead. You would not lose your card history. You would have some works to do if you have the old card number tied to some auto pay then you need to update those. But you would most likely not have the similar issue again.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
This sounds more like a browser problem than anything else.
My bet is on the Macy's site security verification programming - it assumes the same 3 digits is either an error or a robotic entry thus it does not even let it thru.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
Why? Since it most likely is the same 3 digits security code is causing issues on some shopping sites during security verification process, why would you want the same thing again?

Macy is not going to modify its online shopping security check because some users could not use their cards. That is almost a given.

I were you I would get a new card number instead. You would not lose your card history. You would have some works to do if you have the old card number tied to some auto pay then you need to update those. But you would most likely not have the similar issue again.
Can you promise me that I won't have this problem again with a different card number? I think no one can promise that, even the credit card company.

Edit: I've sent feedback through their website and asked them to contact me. Let's see what happens.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you promise me that I won't have this problem again with a different card number? I think no one can promise that, even the credit card company.

Edit: I've sent feedback through their website and asked them to contact me. Let's see what happens.
It seems it is the cvc that causes you issue.

A different card number would NOT have the identical cvc. I would take the "risk" that in a very unlikely, unfortunate event that the new card number would have the identical cvc again. To me a new card number is the logical, sensible approach. It eliminate the seeming source of the problem of your current card does not work on Macy's site. But if you want a 100% guarantee then as you say yourself, not even the card issuer can promise you that

Good luck on the answer Macy would provide. Most likely tell you to contact your card issue to see if your card is being blocked. You know full well your card is not blocked but the identical 3 numeric values of the cvc could be the culprit.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:48 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Can you promise me that I won't have this problem again with a different card number?
The cvc is calculated using your card account number, expiration date and an encryption key. Reissuing the card with a new account number or expiration date or both is extremely unlikely to generate the same code.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.