Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For the current version of this thread & related wiki, see

IHG Rewards MasterCard (2016).
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by bmrisko
I just got a survey from IHG concerning their cards and most of the questions seemed to revolve around a higher annual fee. Let's hope that isn't the case!
I got that as well. All the options were Higher annual fee for fewer benefits, or less fee for no benefits of note. I gave pretty much all of them low ratings. The free night makes the card worth keeping around but if the fee goes up much, or if the Platinum benefit goes away, then I wouldn't see any reason to keep this card.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
If you google IHG 80k will offer you an unknown
Blogger that has a link to 80 K offer without
Statement credit

I used that link applied and was approved
And confirmed the 80k

Sorry I can't find the blog link if I have time when I get home I will repost it
Please do post it if you could find it.

Thanks a lot.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Zeeb
I got that as well. All the options were Higher annual fee for fewer benefits, or less fee for no benefits of note. I gave pretty much all of them low ratings. The free night makes the card worth keeping around but if the fee goes up much, or if the Platinum benefit goes away, then I wouldn't see any reason to keep this card.
Same here...I like the terms just the way they are! ^
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Zeeb
That will be a sad day if it happens. We have been using the free night we each get at our favorite town in Belgium, and are always upgraded to a suite with a wonderful view due to our both "being Platinum". Getting an upgrade from a $300 room to a $500 suite for a net $49 a night is a sweet deal. Would really hate to lose that.
philemer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg/ihgsaml80 I changed the "60" at the end of the link to "80". But when you click on Apply Now it shows only 60K.

Last edited by philemer; Dec 19, 2014 at 2:01 pm Reason: Only 60K
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by JBG89
Any recent data points on if this card is churnable and terms of waiting/free anniversary night on the card?
Please take a look at the wiki and the additional info to which it links. Those resources contain current information on our present level of ignorance and/or knowledge on Chase's approval practices.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
Please do post it if you could find it.

Thanks a lot.

http://www.pointswithacrew.com/find-chase-ihg-80k-card/

Here is link that worked for me
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Here is link that worked for me
That's the same link that has been in the wiki for months. In fact, the blogger states explicitly in that post that the link comes from this thread.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:26 am

Is the First Use bonus a New Cardmember Bonus

I canceled my IHG Visa, then later reapplied for the IHG MC, without worrying about the 2 years after a new card bonus, since the MC is a "different card".

But my wife didn't cancel hers in time, and got the replacement card in the mail sooner than expected. When she didn't use if for a month or so, Chase sent her an offer of a few thousand points for using it once.

Is she now good to cancel the MC and reapply since she has not ever received the 60/80K sign up bonus for the MC, only for the Visa?

Or is Chase going to say those few thousand "first use" points are a New Card member bonus, and she has to wait until 2 years after the date she got those?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge
I canceled my IHG Visa, then later reapplied for the IHG MC, without worrying about the 2 years after a new card bonus, since the MC is a "different card".

But my wife didn't cancel hers in time, and got the replacement card in the mail sooner than expected. When she didn't use if for a month or so, Chase sent her an offer of a few thousand points for using it once.

Is she now good to cancel the MC and reapply since she has not ever received the 60/80K sign up bonus for the MC, only for the Visa?

Or is Chase going to say those few thousand "first use" points are a New Card member bonus, and she has to wait until 2 years after the date she got those?
Chase does not harp on the New Card member except with the CONDITION which only sets the time lapse from last bonus. No where one can find languages related to time lapse needed between open/closed accounts, nor anyone reported being denied based on the time lapse, NOT related to receipt of bonus.

I would imagine your wife would get the bonus.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Got this card 1 year ago (visa first, then replaced with MC). Received free anniversary night on Dec 15. Called today to canx card, prior to statement release and billing of annual fee. Success!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Chase does not harp on the New Card member except with the CONDITION which only sets the time lapse from last bonus. No where one can find languages related to time lapse needed between open/closed accounts, nor anyone reported being denied based on the time lapse, NOT related to receipt of bonus.

I would imagine your wife would get the bonus.
Thanks but I think you are missing the point. She did not get any new card member "sign up bonus", but she did get a "use this card that we changed your account over to" first time use bonus of just a few thousand points vs the typical tens of thousands of points true "sign up" bonus:. She did not in fact "sign up" for anything, she was just sent a MC to replace her Visa, without Chase ever asking her if she wanted to have the MC.

So yes, I too think she should be good to apply for a MC that she has never in fact applied for. Just looking for some data points from folks who have been in the same situation.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 2:33 am

When you apply for a new card to churn it. Do you put your existing IHG membership number on the chase application or leave it blank?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by bugjuice11
When you apply for a new card to churn it. Do you put your existing IHG membership number on the chase application or leave it blank?
Provide your existing IHG member number. Omitting it will result in a separate IHG account & more busy work for you to have the accounts merged.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by beltway
Provide your existing IHG member number. Omitting it will result in a separate IHG account & more busy work for you to have the accounts merged.
^

It's not like Chase isn't going to know who you are without the IHG number. You are going to have to use your SS#, home address, and phone number. They will know who you are, and what cards you have had open in the past anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.