Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For the current version of this thread & related wiki, see

IHG Rewards MasterCard (2016).
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:27 pm

I haven't received an email like I usually do from Chase regarding the issuance of a CC. I did get an approved message though when I submitted my application 3 days ago. Reason to worry? Should I contact Chase to see what the status is of the card or should I contact IHG Rewards?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by welookgood.com
Per: http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2014/...club-card.html

Chase is not giving people bonuses when getting a slightly different product (Visa instead of MC) these days. SO YMMV
I think this is a completely different situation. The previous instances there were 2 separate products. This time, its a visa being rolled into a mc, so they're considering it 1 product. But, I think if you get rid of the visa first, then you should be considered new to the mc. YMMV on that of course. I'm going to call to cancel my visa now and try to reapply for the MC and get the 80k bonus.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
80K Confirmation for the MC Select Version, Not Just the World Version

Yesterday Mrs. Middle_Seat applied for the IHG MC, using the previously-posted DF01 link. She was approved for the Select version ($2K CL), not the "better" World version.

Today we called and the CSR confirmed that the bonus would be 80K IHG points.

I do not know if first year fee is waived, or if she will get Platinum status at IHG properties.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Received an e-mail that the IHG CC will be converted over the next few months from Visa to Select Mastercard.
I was planning to cancel due to my travel patterns changing. By way of "new product" does it mean that I would be eligible for the bonus again in the future should my travel plans change?
Got the email to check SM on the conversion.

In the SM it says the MC would arrive around May 17th (in the middle of our trip somewhere).

If you are planning to re-apply, you probably should cancel the Visa now. Enough data points on this thread the last couple weeks have indicated that Chase would NOT allow having both a Visa and a MC.

The MC version is so new, there is no way to know whether new bonus would be awarded until 1 to 2 months from now the earliest.

It is better to wait for evidence rather than trying to "interpret" the wording, just my opinion. After all, it is Chase who would decide what exactly that means, not by you and me and anyone on FT... so it is useless to ask for an interpretation here.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unkn0wns0ldier
Any reports on what happens if your confirmation says you were approved for a Visa card???
You would either get a Visa which would eventually be converted to MC, or you would get a MC outright.

So what is the big deal on which one you get, as we already know that one could not get both?!

The things we know so far are:

1) Chase system detects existing Visa holders and denies the application for MC automatically, without pulling credit report.

2) We have a few posters have applied the card thru the DF01 link and are told upon approved by the CSRs that their bonus would be 80K.

3) We will soon find out (in a month or two) whether a bonus would be given on the MC if one had a Visa before.

4) The branches would have 0 clue on what the application link is for. Worse, if the branch calls around and brought the attention to some dept in Chase which realizes the old link was still alive - one such naive (if not downright stupid) action would bring the demise to the still working link.

In this miles/points pursuit business, one would need to have some faith if one wants a better bonus than the publicly available links that anyone can find on the official sites... Just sayin.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 19, 2014 at 3:22 pm
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:30 am

Oh man, my 1st anniversary award is coming up and they decide to change it to a MC. I guess I'll still cancel and take a chance at a second bonus.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:50 am

Got an email from Chase yesterday stating that they have converted my IHG Visa to a Mastercard and I will be getting the new card soon. This actually works out in my favor because I already have a lot of Visa/Amex cards that I keep long term for improving my age of accounts, but no Mastercard (until now that is).
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: Chase Preferred
Applied for new card using link from original post. Called today morning and confirmed it will be coming with 80k points.

I was told, since its a new card (Mastercard), they are running quite a backlog and wont be able to do a rush delivery.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Per: http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2014/...club-card.html

Chase is not giving people bonuses when getting a slightly different product (Visa instead of MC) these days. SO YMMV

My recent experience contradicts this. I had a CSP MC. I canceled it to apply for the 50k CSP Visa offer. This month the 50k bonus posted for the CSP Visa after making the spend.

You need to cancel the existing slightly different product before applying for the new one.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:08 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
I applied for the IHG Visa from the link in the wiki above on 3/12, and today I received the MC instead!!! Confirmed Platinum status (Rep couldn't tell me when!) and 80K IHG points after $1000 spend in 3 months. Spending already done & looking forward for the points in 6-8 weeks.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Kalboz
I applied for the IHG Visa from the link in the wiki above on 3/12, and today I received the MC instead!!! Confirmed Platinum status (Rep couldn't tell me when!) and 80K IHG points after $1000 spend in 3 months. Spending already done & looking forward for the points in 6-8 weeks.
I applied on 3/5 via an email solicitation and still haven't received my card. Shocking how slow they are in my case.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:20 am

I applied earlier this week and just received my VISA IHG Rewards card today. I applied through the Visa link shown below. Need to confirm on the bonus. Sending a secure message now to Chase to ensure its 80K with 1k spend and no annual fee.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 6:29 am

Is the annual night clawed back when cancelling?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by The_Wrath_of_Khan
Is the annual night clawed back when cancelling?
The answer is in the wiki (actually, is the entire wiki) for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...t-pc-visa.html.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:24 pm

How quickly do points post?

Does anyone know how quickly the sign-up bonus points will post to your IHG account after you pay off your first $1,000 in spend? Looking to book a room with points, and there is a limited number of rooms left during our desired travel period. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.