Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Shop through Chase" (formerly UR Mall) [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2013, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Chase changed the name of the UR Mall to "Shop through Chase".

Please use this Master Thread for general questions and discussion of "Shop through Chase". See also these separate threads on specific shopping topics:

Travel booking is discussed in two threads.

Problems with points not posting due to technical issues or using other credit cards are discussed here:

Patterns of customer service experience are discussed here:
Print Wikipost

"Shop through Chase" (formerly UR Mall) [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:47 pm

I've found (by trying it) that VGCs and Staples gift cards don't earn bonus points at Staples when shopping via Shop through Chase. Are there any retailers that sell gift cards which earn bonus points via Shop through Chase?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL ✈️
5x on Staples shop through Chase portal

I just realized I have this offer on my Chase Portal and I don't have an Ink.

It says not valid on gift cards, but do we have DPs on past experiences?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:51 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by tomasdev
I just realized I have this offer on my Chase Portal and I don't have an Ink.

It says not valid on gift cards, but do we have DPs on past experiences?
You won't get 5x points.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Heads Up if you shop at Macy's

I have shopped via the UR portal as well as shop thru UA at Macy's and have always received points for my purchases. If I returned any items, points were deducted for the return, as expected. I generally returned to my local store. I did not shop there because they often don't have the items I want.

Anyway, The last I received any points via UR was in March, and in the usual manner - points applied and any returns deducted.

I have not received any points since despite making 3 fairly large purchases. I am certain I shopped via the portal and used my CSR. Chase confirmed that I entered the portal on the dates of the purchases.

Apparently Macy's has changed the T&C. It now includes this line

Any return, exchange or other adjustment made at a physical store location for an on-line purchase may result in your purchase being deemed ineligible
So now my purchases are ineligible - except for the last one which had no returns.

I also seem to not be getting the usual "you earned points through the UR portal" within a week or so of receiving my purchase. So I doubt I'll be getting the points for the most recent purchase without having to jump through hoops.

What a crappy policy... Some stores are not very large and the only way to get some items from Macy's is to shop online. Of course, if I return via mail and pay, the purchase would still be eligible.

I checked a few other department store merchants and it appears many of them have the same policy... Nordstrom, JC Penny, Saks. Eddie Bauer and Ralph Lauren also have the same policy. A few do not. That leads me to believe this is a Chase policy and not necessarily from the merchant.

Last edited by Mary2e; Jul 26, 2017 at 9:42 am
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
...believe this is a Chase policy and not necessarily from the merchant.
A way to check will be to see if these department stores have the same policies on other shopping portals.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:05 am

I only checked UA for Macy's and they have the same terms as well. I didn't look at other merchants.

I think it's a Chase thing. Perhaps they have several different agreements & prices for appearing on the portal.

I did discover that Macy's now offers free returns if your purchase was over $99. Since all of mine are, I will be mailing back going forward.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:36 am

This appears to also be part of the terms for other mileage/points portals and Macys so it's not just limited to Chase.

"Any return, exchange or other adjustment made at a physical store location for an on-line purchase may result in your purchase being deemed ineligible."

- United MileagePlus Shopping
- Citi Bonus Cash Center
- Ebates
- Plenti
- Barclaycard Rewards
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:44 am

Hmmm.... I only checked Chase because I don't have any other cards.

But it seems to be pretty widespread and fairly recent.

Is it possible an outside company is managing these portals and making the agreements?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm.... I only checked Chase because I don't have any other cards.

But it seems to be pretty widespread and fairly recent.

Is it possible an outside company is managing these portals and making the agreements?
These portals are always managed by a 3rd party company, not the banks. You do not realize this?

Google Cartera Commerce - they are the big player in this field. Last I know it handles both AA and UA shopping portals. There are some major fiascos in the past when the airlines ran some promotions a few years back.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:02 am

I actually never gave it much thought. I guess that's my bad.

But since this has to do with the T&C, I thought it had to do with the merchant and not the portal or it's operator.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Sorry I'm dense, but what is the difference between having the purchase be ineligible and having the points deducted when the item is returned? Are you saying future purchases are ineligible?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:31 pm

No, I'm saying the entire purchase, even the items that were kept, is ineligible if the some items are returned to the store.

If you mail them back, it continues to work the way it did - purchase credited and points deducted for any returns.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks for clarifying that, Mary2e. That does suck.

What if you only bought one item per check-out? Then you could only return one item per purchase.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:37 pm

No, I'm saying the entire purchase, even the items that were kept, is ineligible if the some items are returned to the store.

If you mail them back, it continues to work the way it did - purchase credited and points deducted for any returns.
Would a workaround be to buy each item separately through the Mall?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:49 pm

It could be, except many retailers offer free shipping if you spend a certain amount, so it would be counterproductive to pay shipping to get that single item... unless it was more than the free shipping requirement. I think for Macy's it's $99. For other retailers it's less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.