Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Ongoing offers] Now 80K points, free night, AF not waived, Marriott Premier Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived.

Please continue the discussion here: Marriott Credit Card Offers (2016)
Print Wikipost

[Ongoing offers] Now 80K points, free night, AF not waived, Marriott Premier Visa

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2011, 9:26 am

Eh this card is terrible for airline miles conversion. 70k Marriot points only get you 25k miles in CO, AA, United etc
Old Oct 24, 2011, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by tassojunior
Here's the reward category chart. Click on each tier in the far upper right of page to see hotels in that category.

REWARDS CHART
A note about this rewards chart, which is extremely confusing:
"Categories" refers to general Marriott/Courtyard/etc. properties.

"Tiers" refers to the separate rewards structure for Ritz-Carlton properties (which explains why the point costs are so much higher).
Why Marriott can't make that clearer in the chart is beyond me.

Originally Posted by element7
Eh this card is terrible for airline miles conversion. 70k Marriot points only get you 25k miles in CO, AA, United etc
Which is why the best use is for free nights. 70K points get you 2 nights at a cat 7 (which covers every property in NYC except for the three toniest ones) or 2 cat 5 nights + 1 cat 4 night.

Last edited by beltway; Oct 24, 2011 at 9:33 am
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:17 am

If you don't think you'll ever accumulate more points in Marriott, I think you have to view the 70k as two free nights in a good hotel. That can easily be worth $700, making this offer on par with 50k thank you citi or other cards that give you basically $500 to $700 in travel value.

If, however, you can accumulate more marriott points, travel packages are the way to go. For 200k Marriott points, you get 50k miles on several airlines of your choice, plus a 7-day hotel cert up to category 5. For 270k marriott points, you get 120k miles on any airline, plus the hotel cert.

I have used a 7-day cert for a reservation that would have been $3700 for the week, and I think others have done better. Add to that the value of 120k miles -- or, for example, during the US 75 percent bonus on hotel transfers -- you'd get 210k miles. That's a pretty good haul for 270k marriott points, which are much easier to accumulate via credit card than airline miles if you stay at hotels -- with this card, which makes you automatic elite, you get at least 17 points per dollar.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by birdseye
Thank you, but the current offer landing page says the free night is awarded upon account approval, plus 6-8 weeks processing in the fine print, and I wouldn't be able to use future anniversary free night certificates during summer vacation either. Just thought I would remind others to think about when they would want to use their free night certificates.

The link in page one goes to a public offer landing page, which appears to indicate this is now a public offer. Previously it was targeted, and you couldn't see the landing page or apply through the link if you weren't targeted.
My bad. It looks like the 70k points are awarded after the first purchase, and you're right about the free night being awarded upon approval. I guess then the questions is how much you're willing to gamble timing of the certificates vs. how long the offer will last.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
Originally Posted by lkar
If, however, you can accumulate more marriott points, travel packages are the way to go. For 200k Marriott points, you get 50k miles on several airlines of your choice, plus a 7-day hotel cert up to category 5. For 270k marriott points, you get 120k miles on any airline, plus the hotel cert.
Thanks for your advice. Question-- are you able to transfer airline miles INTO Marriott points at a favorable rate? That can make for some valuable redemptions!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
For all of you that haven't seen these, Gary Leff has two great posts on Marriott:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...s-visa-signup/

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...ce-whatsoever/
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:52 am

Was looking into getting this card at 50k, but now at 70k it's a no-brainer.

My only question is, should I apply for any other Chase cards at the same time? That is, is there any advantage to doing a two-browser or same day apps with say, the Chase Sapphire Preferred?

Also, I def want the UA 60k Visa, if and when they open that up to the public, which is Chase as well, but am worried will be denied if I have too many random Chase cards (have none right now).

Cheers
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
Was looking into getting this card at 50k, but now at 70k it's a no-brainer.

My only question is, should I apply for any other Chase cards at the same time? That is, is there any advantage to doing a two-browser or same day apps with say, the Chase Sapphire Preferred?

Also, I def want the UA 60k Visa, if and when they open that up to the public, which is Chase as well, but am worried will be denied if I have too many random Chase cards (have none right now).

Cheers
Applying for 2 Chase cards at once will get you an automatic denial on the second card. Calling the reconsideration line will probably get you the second card if you have no other Chase cards and your credit is good.

Don't waste a Chase credit application on a card that does not work for you. If the two rewards programs you are most interested in are Marriott and United, then apply for Marriott now and United when the big public offer comes out.

The Chase Sapphire Preferred card is also a great card, but I recommend you space out your applications and go for your favorites first. Chase seems to allow 1 new credit card every 30-60 days, 2 new credit cards in a calendar year, and more than that requires talking to the reconsideration line after denial. Some people report getting up too 5 Chase cards a year, after calling the reconsideration line for the last 3.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:20 pm

Applying for 2 Chase cards at once will get you an automatic denial on the second card. Calling the reconsideration line will probably get you the second card if you have no other Chase cards and your credit is good.
Or if you have other Chase cards & are willing to close and/or lower the credit line on one of them. Never close a Chase card before making an application, as it takes away a bargaining chip.

Chase seems to allow 1 new credit card every 30-60 days, 2 new credit cards in a calendar year, and more than that requires talking to the reconsideration line after denial. Some people report getting up too 5 Chase cards a year, after calling the reconsideration line for the last 3.
I opened 3 new cards inside of 6 months last year without doing the reconsideration dance, so it really does vary according to individual circumstances.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:20 pm

Good to know; thanks for that info. The girlfriend and I are planning to do this Marriott 70k card and the Priority Club 60k offer as part of our next app-o-rama in November, and since we've never had Chase cards before it seems like we should be able to get both with a call in to the reconsideration line. Definitely worth it for 140k MR points and 120k PC points with no spend requirement (other than making a purchase on each card)!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:33 pm

Hey friends! I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I just applied and was approved (thanks OP) and was looking for other ways to earn miles here: http://www.marriott.com/rewards/earn-points.mi#/6/
Marriott says "Earn up to 50,000 points with each group, event, or meeting at participating hotels". I'm attending a conference at a Marriott, but I'm unclear if these points are for people who organize the events or who attend them. 50k points seems like barely anything for organizing an entire event there. Does anyone happen to know? Thanks! <3
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Ben21
Thanks for your advice. Question-- are you able to transfer airline miles INTO Marriott points at a favorable rate? That can make for some valuable redemptions!
I'm not aware of too many ways to transfer into Marriott. I think ultimate rewards points transfer in at 1:1, which is probably not worth it unless you are very close to a redemption.

Marriott points can also be purchased at the rate of $12.50 per 1,000, which would probably keep me from transferring ultimate rewards points, since I value them higher than 1.25 cpp.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 1:01 pm

Just came back from 4 free nights at the Park Hyatt Vendome (thanks to husband and wife Chase cards). If we both get Marriot cards can we combine the points into 1 account so we can book 4 days and get the 5th free (assuming a cat 7 hotel)?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Robl
Just came back from 4 free nights at the Park Hyatt Vendome (thanks to husband and wife Chase cards). If we both get Marriot cards can we combine the points into 1 account so we can book 4 days and get the 5th free (assuming a cat 7 hotel)?
Marriott DOES allow spouses to share points if needed for an award.

I have done this before - it takes a call to Marriott Rewards, they fax your a form for signature, and you send it back in.

As mentioned above, you can also buy Marriott points at the Marriott website. It's usually not worth it, but if you are a few points short for a reward you really want, it can be.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Marriott DOES allow spouses to share points if needed for an award.

I have done this before - it takes a call to Marriott Rewards, they fax your a form for signature, and you send it back in.

As mentioned above, you can also buy Marriott points at the Marriott website. It's usually not worth it, but if you are a few points short for a reward you really want, it can be.
My girlfriend and I live together but aren't married. Will Marriott allow the transfer considering we reside at the same address, or do we need to be married too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.