Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Ongoing offers] Now 80K points, free night, AF not waived, Marriott Premier Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived.

Please continue the discussion here: Marriott Credit Card Offers (2016)
Print Wikipost

[Ongoing offers] Now 80K points, free night, AF not waived, Marriott Premier Visa

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:26 am

We haven't ever had marriott cc's . We have been racking up the SPG points. Wondering if we should get this just for the free nights even if we continue to use SPG as our primary spend? Neither me nor hubby travel for business, so it's all CC bonuses & spend for us to get points. It seems like it would be tough to build up either account if we split the spend.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by SigCon
My wife wants to apply for this card, but she has no job or income (she is a stay-at-home mom). The new rules (as of October 1, I think) have Chase asking for individual income instead of household income. The application has an option of "Home Maker" for "Source of Income", but then we'd have to leave the employer and length of employment fields empty I guess. Is there any way she would be approved?

I recently got the Chase Sapphire Preferred card for myself, so I don't think I would be approved if I apply for the Marriott card.
I'm also a SAHM and have always used my husband's income on apps. I think the new rules will only come into play if the app asks specifically for individual income. That's the way I'll continue until I'm shot down! After all, we all know that no one could pay someone enough $$ to stay at home and do all the little jobs we do for our families! The only thing that pays that bill is the hugs from our little ones and the joy of watching them grow up.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: BA, AA, DA, UA, CO
Regarding expiration of Marriott points I just found out that "As long as you make a paid stay at a Marriott hotel every 24 months, your account and points remain active. Otherwise, your points will expire."
So is that the only way to keep the point from expiring?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by pianistat
Regarding expiration of Marriott points I just found out that "As long as you make a paid stay at a Marriott hotel every 24 months, your account and points remain active. Otherwise, your points will expire."
So is that the only way to keep the point from expiring?
From the T&Cs:
A Membership Account may be closed at the Company's discretion if no Points or Miles are accrued during a 24-month period. All Points in the Membership Account will be forfeited at that time.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by MarkMColo
From the T&Cs:
So, pay once every 2 years for a room AND make some points (which you will anyways since you will pay for the room).
That seems different than as with the air miles, where any activity for a certain period will extend the life of the miles. Am I correct?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by momof4kids1dog1guineapig
We haven't ever had marriott cc's . We have been racking up the SPG points. Wondering if we should get this just for the free nights even if we continue to use SPG as our primary spend? Neither me nor hubby travel for business, so it's all CC bonuses & spend for us to get points. It seems like it would be tough to build up either account if we split the spend.
If you have a large cache of SPG points, it might be worthwhile to switch over to Marriott and build up a store there as well. 140k points would be a great start. Diversification can be advantageous if, for example, one brand has a greater presence in a place you're planning on visiting, or if your preferred brand doesn't have any award availability but another brand you have points with does. Certainly wouldn't hurt to sign you and your husband up for the cards, collect the 140k points, and cancel before a year is up if the annual free night isn't worth it for the annual fee.

Last edited by kdoughboy; Oct 26, 2011 at 10:44 am
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:18 am

Does anybody know when this offer expires?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 1:04 pm

So, pay once every 2 years for a room AND make some points (which you will anyways since you will pay for the room).
That seems different than as with the air miles, where any activity for a certain period will extend the life of the miles. Am I correct?
I believe any activity which generates points (including credit card spending) will suffice.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 1:42 pm

Does anybody know when this offer expires?
I believe a poster above said November 30, 2011.

Cheers,

PedroNY
Old Oct 26, 2011, 2:27 pm

just got the other 20k points!!

followed the FT discussion points and got the 20 k. Had applied for the 50K card a bit early (about a month ago) and waited until payment time to send a message to Chase. 5 h later I got the ok! Thanks to FT!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:40 pm

Wondering if I should bite or wait for the rumored 100k offer..
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by MarkMColo
I believe any activity which generates points (including credit card spending) will suffice.
That would make sense, but it may not be the case since the Marriott FAQs simply state: "As long as you make a paid stay at a Marriott hotel every 24 months, your account and points remain active. Otherwise, your points will expire." There is no mention of earning points in other ways, such as via credit card usage.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA, BA
Originally Posted by momof4kids1dog1guineapig
I'm also a SAHM and have always used my husband's income on apps. I think the new rules will only come into play if the app asks specifically for individual income. That's the way I'll continue until I'm shot down! After all, we all know that no one could pay someone enough $$ to stay at home and do all the little jobs we do for our families! The only thing that pays that bill is the hugs from our little ones and the joy of watching them grow up.
+1 to that.

I guess we'll go for it and apply. I'm more worried about leaving the employer field blank than the income part. I agree that the way it's worded I can interpret it as household income.

If she gets denied for lack of employment, I'll report back.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: United Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MBKing37
I am wondering the same. Can one of the FT expert chime in please? You guys have seen these offers come and go. Could you please advice if I should go ahead with the offer or wait?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by MBKing37
Originally Posted by abhicoolmax
I am wondering the same...Could you please advice if I should go ahead with the offer or wait?
I have not heard of a 100,000-point offer coming up. I would take this 70,000-point offer - a very good one, in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.