Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Ongoing offers] Now 80K points, free night, AF not waived, Marriott Premier Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived.

Please continue the discussion here: Marriott Credit Card Offers (2016)
Print Wikipost

[Ongoing offers] Now 80K points, free night, AF not waived, Marriott Premier Visa

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:28 pm

Update

Just posting an update.

We've had one of our free night stays post in the account. Both cards were opened on the same day so you would figure they both would have posted by now unless Marriott is only going to post one.

Will wait a few more days, if nothing happens then I think I'll have to call Marriott and explain the situation to them and see if they can do anything about it.

Last edited by MBKing37; Nov 1, 2011 at 9:48 pm
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Do we know anything firm at all about when the United offer might be open to the public, or is it all just speculation?
We know the offer was postponed because information about it was leaked before it came out. We know two affiliates who were supposed to get the link on their websites say the offer was postponed, and the Frugal Travel Guy says until early 2012. For all I know, the offer may have been cancelled. But there was a 50,000 mile UA bonus out last spring, and I think it will come around again if we wait long enough. I say 50,000 because the UA card offer for elites looked like a 50,000 mile bonus with a really high spend to get the final 10,000 miles. And I would be happy with an easy 50,000 miles. Yes, it is speculation until the offer really comes out.

If you can afford to get a Chase card now and another one in a few months, then why not get both?

Personally, I've gotten 4 Chase cards in 18 months. I'm still working on a $4,000 spend on my second AA card (I was denied several times due to past churning and finally got in on the deal in August while still working on the spend on an SPG card). It has been 5 months since my last Chase card, and I figure I should space out my applications and let some inquiries fall off my reports after a busy year. In my ideal world, I'd get a UA card in January and a Marriott card in March or April so I could use the free night during my sons' summer vacation. I have a feeling the Marriott card offer will be around for awhile as I have only seen them get better and not worse. Of course I could be wrong!

If you want both cards, go for it! But he asked if anyone was waiting for the UA card, and I am, even though it probably won't be out until January.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by glu800
I was just approved for this card late last week, and I noticed the free cat 1-4 e-cert just appeared in my Marriott Rewards account tonight... so it literally takes only a few days after approval.
Excellent, thanks for letting us know.

Considering applying to gamble on the e-cert for a trip 3 weeks away.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:11 pm

There are offers for 50,000 bonus points and 70,000 bonus points. Are they both valid current offers?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MBKing37
Just posting an update.

We've had one of our free night stays post in the account. Both cards were opened on the same day so you would figure they both would have posted by now unless Marriott is only going to post one.

Will wait a few more days, if nothing happens then I think I'll have to call Marriott and explain the situation to them and see if they can do anything about it.
That is what is expected when you tried to game the system. I would not rule out the possibility that MR's software would catch seemingly double posting of points from Chase Visa card and you would then have much bigger mess to deal with if that turns out being the case.

Now you would need to play dumb to tell Marriott you mistakenly use your account number on your wife's application and hope MR side can see 2 new Visa cards attached to the same MR account but one Visa card has different name, and MR would accept your explanation and do the correction. Then you would also need to call Chase to correct the MR account number to your wife's that attaches to your wife's card instead of yours.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
How long after first purchase to post points?

Could anyone share their experience as to how long it took for Chase to post the 70,000 points after the first purchase? (I searched but didn't find any postings specifically on this.)
Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by thatsajoke
There are offers for 50,000 bonus points and 70,000 bonus points. Are they both valid current offers?
I believe so. But with a 70K offer out there, I don't see any reason to use the 50K link.

Chase isn't going to give you both a 50K and a 70K bonus, if that's what you were hoping. There's one bonus per customer.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
I believe so. But with a 70K offer out there, I don't see any reason to use the 50K link.

Chase isn't going to give you both a 50K and a 70K bonus, if that's what you were hoping. There's one bonus per customer.
I wanted to apply for the 70K bonus but just wanted to verify that I would get the 70K bonus and not the 50k bonus.

It just seemed unusual that there were 2 offers (available to the public) at the same time. Thanks!
Old Nov 2, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I wanted to apply for the 70K bonus but just wanted to verify that I would get the 70K bonus and not the 50k bonus.
Usual rule: just be sure to read the offer (and all fine print + terms and conditions) when you land on the application page. If you've landed on the 70K page, you should be safe. But you can also take a screen shot and/or save the URL in case there is any question later.

Another usual rule: if you reach an application via a FlyerTalk post, you're also probably safe. That was the case with the Citibank 75K AA offer (now expired). For that offer, you'd land on the page using the link in the FT thread. The linked page never told you what offer you were signing up for. But it worked like a charm until Citi killed that offer.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
That is what is expected when you tried to game the system. I would not rule out the possibility that MR's software would catch seemingly double posting of points from Chase Visa card and you would then have much bigger mess to deal with if that turns out being the case.

Now you would need to play dumb to tell Marriott you mistakenly use your account number on your wife's application and hope MR side can see 2 new Visa cards attached to the same MR account but one Visa card has different name, and MR would accept your explanation and do the correction. Then you would also need to call Chase to correct the MR account number to your wife's that attaches to your wife's card instead of yours.
Hmm.. I'm not sure how I should take what you're saying. I never tried to 'game' the system. We both applied for our cards individually, I didn't submit an application with her information for her. We both just figured it would be easier to use a single account. - There would be no point in 'gaming' the system. As Marriott allows spouses to combine points during redemption.

Tried to take the more convenient road and it was less convenient. Lesson learned I suppose. We do plan on calling Chase once we receive her card and trying to get the MR number changed and then calling Marriott and explaining the situation.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm.. I'm not sure how I should take what you're saying. I never tried to 'game' the system. We both applied for our cards individually, I didn't submit an application with her information for her. We both just figured it would be easier to use a single account. - There would be no point in 'gaming' the system. As Marriott allows spouses to combine points during redemption.

Tried to take the more convenient road and it was less convenient. Lesson learned I suppose. We do plan on calling Chase once we receive her card and trying to get the MR number changed and then calling Marriott and explaining the situation.
Doesn't the application form clearly ask for the card applicant's Marriott account number, not anyone else' account number? Why wouldn't you input the applicant's information but your information?

The system is not meant for 2 different caradholders' accounts to deposit points to one single reward program account - this is universal rule across all programs.

The cardholder's name should match the Marriott Reward Account's name - plain and simple.

In my eyes and probably in others eyes, you are gaming the system.

However, this is your own choice. You dont need to explain or justify it to anyone of what you have done.

But of course you now are dealing with the consequence - as you are not getting your 2nd free cert and who knows if MR would see anything funny that 2 Visa cards' earnings going to the same account... By trying to be "smart" you wound up create a bit of a mess for yourself.

Marriott allows pooling from spousal accounts for redemption but that is for WHEN you do a redemption and it requires PAPERWORK to fill out and fax to them. The program has NEVER allowed pooling of points at any time, ONLY at redemption and only through submitting paperwork. I am sure you would not stretch this program rule to show what you are doing is being allowed by the program. It is not. If it works it can only be explained that the software has not caught it. Apparently the software does catch some of it by NOT depositing 2 free e-certs to the same account. Besides, based on the sequence of your posts, you have NOT known Marriott allows pooling of spousal accounts for redemption until someone pointed that out to you, telling you what you have done is not necessary, and another poster told you that the cardholder's name should match with the name on the reward account.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 2, 2011 at 8:38 pm
Old Nov 2, 2011, 8:47 pm

It just seemed unusual that there were 2 offers (available to the public) at the same time.
There's nothing at all unusual about it. Citi, for instance, typically has a wide array of AA card offers ranging from the pathetic (25-30K) to the top end (50K or more) with various spend requirements. Barclays does the same for its US card products. Chase hasn't done this as much in recent years AFAICT, but I see no reason to doubt the legitimacy of the 70K offer (especially since Mrs. Beltway just got an approval for it ^).
Old Nov 2, 2011, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It just seemed unusual that there were 2 offers (available to the public) at the same time. Thanks!
There are at least 4 to 5 Marriott offers available to public - ranging from 40K to 70K with different number of free night certs and spending requirement. Personally I would much prefer big point bonus than extra free night certs which is for 1 to 4 category only and expires in 6 months after issuance. With the multiple devaluations over the years, any decent hotels in Marriott chain would be at least a cat 5 if not cat 6 already. The cat 4 would barely get you a Residence Inn or Courtyard in most US locations...

The current 70K offer is of course the best one because it does not require spend other than first purchase and a largest sign up bonus. If you are skeptical, just wait a while and see what others have been getting before you decide to go ahead. Common sense would tell you that if people are not getting what they expect from this link, you would see posts about it quite quickly. Just a simple deduction would give you confidence that there is indeed Safety in Numbers - if many others are getting the bonus, the link is legit and working.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:12 pm

Oh Happy, now when you talk like that, you make me think you're not so Happy after all.

Last edited by MBKing37; Nov 2, 2011 at 10:46 pm
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:39 pm

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
Oh, I see.
I applied for this card about 10 days ago. My name on the Marriott rewards account is not same as the name on the CC, But its my account. When i called Chase to check the status , rep said card is approved and they are checking with Marriott to verify the rewards account. I explained to her that my first name is different on the account, then she said probably they will open a new marriott account and i can call them later to combine them. The point is they do verify the rewards account before mailing the card and open a new account automatically if it doesn't match and i don't think you have to do anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.