J.P. Morgan Select Visa Signature

Old Apr 29, 2012, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by ferrari_fan:18477483
Not sure if this was discussed already, but according to a thread on myfico JPM Select does not report to the CRAs.
It doesn't report balances or limits?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret
It doesn't report balances or limits?
Did you read the thread I linked to? It is a hidden TL according to the posters, meaning nothing gets reported, it won't even show up in your credit report. Perhaps FTers who have this card can corroborate or refute this !
Old May 1, 2012, 8:42 am

Has anyone been able to convert their regular sapphire card to JP Select?
Old May 4, 2012, 6:33 pm

Anybody have luck with using the chip (not mag strip) in France? In particular, unmanned stations? I just got the card thinking it was Chip and PIN, but due to my.......well.....stupidity, I didn't realize there was a different path of Chip and Signature.
Old May 5, 2012, 5:42 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by seminole_kev
Anybody have luck with using the chip (not mag strip) in France?
You may find post 832 in this thread helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18493833-post832.html
Old May 7, 2012, 12:38 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, Amex Plat, JPM Select
Originally Posted by seminole_kev
Anybody have luck with using the chip (not mag strip) in France? In particular, unmanned stations? I just got the card thinking it was Chip and PIN, but due to my.......well.....stupidity, I didn't realize there was a different path of Chip and Signature.
I was just on a 2-week trip across western Europe, and I pretty much used the Select card the entire time. Of the cities I visited - London, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Luzern, Frankfurt, and Barcelona - the only times that my card was either rejected or required a PIN was in Brussels, Amsterdam, Barcelona.

In London, I was able to purchase tickets and an Oyster card at an unmanned Underground kiosk, as well as successfully have it recognized as a chip&sig card at all manned POS around the city.

In Paris, I was able to purchase an 24-hour metro ticket at an unmanned kiosk in Paris Nord station. All manned POS systems recognized the card as chip&sig and the staff knew how to handle this type of card.

In Brussels, the unmanned metro kiosk rejected my card outright, never asking for a PIN. However, all manned POS systems correctly recognized the card as chip&sig and the staff knew how to handle this type of card.

In Amsterdam, an unmanned kiosk at a museum rejected my card outright, never asking for a PIN. However, all manned POS systems worked, and the staff knew how to handle a chip&sig card.

In Frankfurt, the unmanned DB kiosk rejected my card outright, never asking for a PIN. I did not have the opportunity to try this card at any museums or stores.

In Barcelona, the metro kiosk asked me for a PIN; pressing ENTER or typing in 0000 failed, but putting in my cash advance PIN (which I set-up before leaving) worked. The card worked correctly at all the museums I visited.

Still a mixed bag, but I was definitely better off with this card.

- Jason
Old May 7, 2012, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by inferno10
I was just on a 2-week trip across western Europe, and I pretty much used the Select card the entire time.
Thanks guys for the feedback. Sounds like it will handle the bulk of the situations, and anything that can avoid the "theater" that is getting the person to go dust off the mag strip reader and find someone in the store who knows how to use it, is fine by me.

Last edited by mia; May 7, 2012 at 6:51 am Reason: Please do not quote the entire text of multi-paragraph posts
Old May 7, 2012, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
Thanks for the detailed report!

Originally Posted by inferno10
I was just on a 2-week trip across western Europe, and I pretty much used the Select card the entire time.

Last edited by mia; May 8, 2012 at 7:07 am Reason: Please do not quote the entire text of multi-paragraph posts.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:53 am

Chip

I also recently returned from Europe, and the chip in the card worked for the Gatwick express train in London and the Barclay's Cycle Hire bike rentals. It was nice having the peace of mind of primary car rental insurance in Romania.

I can also confirm the credit line does not appear on any of my credit reports, which is nice, as we're applying for a loan, and the $5k or so of vacation expenses we put on the card won't show up and potentially interfere with our loan approval.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 6:59 pm
AAL

I just verified that my JP Morgan Select account does not appear on my credit report. The inquiry at the time I applied for the card last year appears, but that is all.

I used the card in france this summer and there were a few occasions where it was not accepted (one fuel pump, one toll booth, and one ticket kiosk), but it was accepted at one unattended gas station and anywhere there was a human. I was surprised at how many UR points I earned!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 2:46 am

Can not product-convert to no-fee

I've had this card for 11 months, and have only used it a half-dozen times or so. Originally, I converted a no-fee Chase card into the Select, and called customer service to go back.

Unfortunately, it appears as though product changes back to a no-fee card are not possible once you're in the "JP Morgan family" so I'm left with the $95 annual fee. Looks like I'm going to give up the card, since I now live in Europe and have a proper (free) EMV card, denominated in Euro with DKB (http://dkb.de).

The CSR did offer to transfer the credit limit to my Sapphire card though, for what that's worth...
Old Oct 14, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold Elite
JP Morgan Select Visa and Chase Website

I have the JPM Select Visa and appreciate it most for the primary car rental coverage as well as the EMV chip. However, I noticed recently that Chase's website no longer lists the Select Visa among its card offerings as it used to. Only the JPM Palladium appears. Is the JPM Select no longer being offerred or promoted?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:35 am
AAL

Interesting. I am probably going to cancel the card before my annual fee hits next month, and plan to call Chase soon. I wonder if they will tell me anything about the future of the card.

It's a fine card; I originally got it because of the chip and I used it quite a bit during a trip to France this year and was very happy with it. But now I have a real chip and PIN card from the State Dept FCU, as well as a Chase Hyatt card with a chip, and most of my spend goes on either the SPG Amex or on meeting bonuses for new cards. I use the Amex rental car insurance.

So, since I don't need the card for any reason, I can't justify paying the annual fee. I've cashed out my UR points in anticipation of canceling.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by philwupdx
I have the JPM Select Visa and appreciate it most for the primary car rental coverage as well as the EMV chip. However, I noticed recently that Chase's website no longer lists the Select Visa among its card offerings as it used to. Only the JPM Palladium appears. Is the JPM Select no longer being offerred or promoted?
I noticed this as well. I tweeted @ChaseSupport, and their response was that the card was temporarily unavailable online, but that I could go into a local branch and get info on the card. Frankly, I think the JPM Select's days are numbered. Once they put a chip on the Sapphire Preferred (if they ever get around to doing that), it'll be pretty much dead anyway.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 9:19 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Anybody have the T&Cs for the auto coverage? Any limitations on countries and vehicles?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.