Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
The revised July 23, 2014 CSP Guide to Benefits (BGC10374) may be found at this landing page (or directly at this location).

The CSP program rules/agreement (as of 7/24/14; RPC0444_0477) may be found at this landing page or directly at this location.

Changes to U.R. program recently announced. See post #1314.
Print Wikipost

Ultimate Rewards & CSP Benefit Changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, IHG Spire, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by roki
The biggest (and sometimes overlooked) benefit of the CSP comes from pairing it with the Chase Freedom. The 1:1 transfer partners (most notably UA and BA) essentially turn the Freedom card into a 5 UA mile per $1 spent card, in the 5% categories and up to the quarterly cap. Put it this way:

I usually hit around $1250 of the $1500 quarterly cap on the Freedom, which is 25K UR points a year from the Freedom. That's $250 cash. If I pair it with the CSP, I can throw those points into BA, and book a RT flight from LAX to HNL that would cost me $500-$600, which is a whopping 10%-12% on the original spend of $5,000. The benefit of having the CSP more than doubled the value those same points without, and added $200-$300 in value. This alone more than offsets the annual fee, IMO.

Note: The same holds true for the Ink cards, which are substantially more valuable than the CSP, in my opinion. However, not everyone has an Ink, is able to get an Ink, or is comfortable with getting a business card if their business is, say, selling items here and there on eBay.
I suppose, but as you said, I'd rather use the Ink and Ink Plus.

Plus, if transferring Chase Freedom points is so vital, I'd get the CSP, transfer the points, and then close the CSP once the AF hits. Rinse and repeat. No bonus points, but you always get the AF waived and the ability to transfer points.

Even if you want to keep the card, it just isn't one I would use too often.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Chase travel insurance to cover Africa trip

Do you think the trip interruption/cancellation insurance that comes with an Ink Plus Business card is adequate? I just put a deposit on my Ink card for a safari trip to Africa next year. I was planning to get travel insurance and looked at the costs. For a comprehensive package for 2 with a trip value of $8500 the premium is $600. I can get just a medical plan for around $150 and use the Chase insurance for the rest.

Has anyone ever invoked this benefit? Do you know who the actual travel insurance company is?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
Do you think the trip interruption/cancellation insurance that comes with an Ink Plus Business card is adequate? [...] Do you know who the actual travel insurance company is?
It's specified in the benefits guide; link in wiki.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:15 pm

Wink

There are a lot of wikis. I don't see the one you are trying to refer me to.
Help, please.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:04 pm

Help, please.
Take a look at the top of this (and every) page in this thread.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Help, please.
Page 18 of the Benefits Guide (listed in the wiki, as beltway pointed out), states under definition of terms:

Company – Federal Insurance Company, also referred to as We, Us,
or Our
Which, I believe, is a subsidiary of the Chubb Group of Insurance Companies.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by roki
a subsidiary of the Chubb Group of Insurance Companies.
Chubb is named on page 20 (for trip cancellation coverage). Surprisingly, the trip delay benefit is underwritten by a different company, Indemnity Insurance Company of North America (p. 33).
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: MVP Gold
Continuing with the trip cancellation/delay insurance, I'm wondering if anyone has an idea as to whether the CSP's new expanded trip cancellation insurance would cover/not cover a military coup (*cough* Thailand) or similar that could result in the US State Dept recommending against travel. I looked at the Guide to Benefits and it's not listed as covered but also NOT listed as not covered.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:20 am

As my trip is to Africa, I'm wondering about the cancellation coverage if US citizens are advised not to go anywhere in Africa because of ebola. I will be visiting South Africa, Zimbawe, Botswana, and Namibia.

Coverage for military coups is tricky. We were in Thailand in 2008 when the Bangkok airport was shut down, stranding us there for 6 days until we could get a flight out. I put in a claim with the travel insurance company, Travelguard, and it was initially denied. Insurance claimed it was not terrorism, but civil unrest. I had to go to my state Attorney General's office to file a complaint and then Travelguard paid up. it took 6 months of working at it, back and forth.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by beltway
It's specified in the benefits guide; link in wiki.
The link in the wiki is for a Chase Sapphire Preferred card. Mine is a Chase Ink Plus Business Card. The travel insurance policies/benefits are different. My benefits booklet is dated 11/01/13 and came with the card.

What would happen if half of the trip payment is put on the Ink card and the other half is put on a Sapphire card? If you made a claim, which insurance would be in force? Which one would you file with?

Last edited by susiesan; Sep 23, 2014 at 9:42 am
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Middle East Travel...

"What would happen if half of the trip payment is put on the Ink card and the other half is put on a Sapphire car. if you made a claim, which insurance would be in force? Which one would you file with?[/QUOTE]

Just did same for a Middle East travel booked back in May...
Split tween Ink Plus and CSP....
Both have travel protection CSP just raised to 10K.
As tensions have increased further, purchased cruise lines coverage
Which allows cancellation for ANY REASON i.e. "No Way"
As added protection......
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Does anyone know if rental car coverage includes prepaid bookings made on portals like CapOne and UR?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:01 pm

I have confusion related to Auto Rental CDW coverage:

1) If I book car rental using sapphire ultimate reward points then does it make ineligible for Auto Rental CDW
2) If I made a car rental booking using travel agency and used a discount coupons then does it make ineligible for Auto Rental CDW

I have called Benefits Administrator regarding this and they said I'm eligible for above scenarios. But, I read some where in the forums it's not eligible.

Can someone clairfy??
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by asharat999
I have confusion related to Auto Rental CDW coverage:

1) If I book car rental using sapphire ultimate reward points then does it make ineligible for Auto Rental CDW
2) If I made a car rental booking using travel agency and used a discount coupons then does it make ineligible for Auto Rental CDW

I have called Benefits Administrator regarding this and they said I'm eligible for above scenarios. But, I read some where in the forums it's not eligible.

Can someone clairfy??
I called chase Admn a month ago ref point 1 and received same reply eligible point 2 i do not know -- if in doubt -- send Chase a s.m.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:56 am

I called benefits admin again and they said coupons will not be issue with eligibility. Only exception is it's not eligible for free rental days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.