Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
The revised July 23, 2014 CSP Guide to Benefits (BGC10374) may be found at this landing page (or directly at this location).

The CSP program rules/agreement (as of 7/24/14; RPC0444_0477) may be found at this landing page or directly at this location.

Changes to U.R. program recently announced. See post #1314.
Print Wikipost

Ultimate Rewards & CSP Benefit Changes

Old Aug 7, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: US, AA, UA, SPG, HHonors, PC
Originally Posted by Happy

The statement is not online yet so no way to check. Would wait till statement is viewable online before calling / SMing.

I wonder if the 2x bonus on dining and other categories only applied to cards applied after 7/17?
I got the card before 7/17 and got the bonus points. My points posted to my account before they statement was posted on the UR website. 1-2 days later I could see the activity listed in the UR website.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:01 pm
In memoriam

My 2nd statement closed yesterday.

There is a restaurant charge on Aug 4th.

However I only see the 1x spend earning posted in my UR account. Despite I met the $3K this cycle, the 50K bonus has not posted, nor the additional 1pt on restaurant charge bonus.

The statement is not online yet so no way to check. Would wait till statement is viewable online before calling / SMing.

I also got a big hard cover brochure of UR program today via mail - it does not mention any 2 x spending bonus other than the airline booking via UR travel center.

I wonder if the 2x bonus on dining and other categories only applied to cards applied after 7/17?
The bonuses apply to charges on existing Chase SP cards on purchases posted on 7/18 or later (the program changed). Bonus points should appear on the website after the date that your monthly statement closes.

FWIW - I have always found Chase reps to be knowledgeable and friendly. There are no long telephone wait times either. If you have questions - you should give them a call first. 99 times out of 100 - they'll be able to answer your questions.

And to the person who mentioned "time shares" - time share rentals are counted as hotel stays/travel if coded correctly by the vendor. Robyn
Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
Can you log into Ultimate Rewards and go to "About Your Card" in the "Manage Ultimate Rewards" section (left hand side of the page)? Does the June 2011 version of the brochure load which references 2x points on dining and travel expenses?

I have thought that it is odd that none of the marketing materials readily available online (I'm not including the PDF version of the brochure that people have been able to download) have referenced this change even though it's been a few weeks.
It pulls up the new PDF file now. A week ago it was still the old file that did not have the 2x restaurant earning info but now it changed to the new one that was mentioned in Post No.6. So the new benefits are finally available for online viewing after you logged in.

I knew just 2 or 3 days ago it was still the old brochure if you just look up Sapphire Preferred and check the benefits from Chase website without logging in your account.

Here is an idea:

If you would eat at casual dining restaurants such as TGI Friday, Olive Garden, Macaroni Grills, etc. you could earn 8 pts per $ instead of just 2 pts per $.

The online shopping mall has bonus points on many merchants, such as 8 pts per dollar for Land's End, 7 pts per dollar for Sears, etc.

You can buy gift cards from Land's End and then use it to buy restaurant gift cards at K-Mart because the gift cards from any company under Sears Holdings is good at any store. There are restaurant gift cards (as well as gas company gift card) available at K-Mart. Going through the gift card route you increase the earning by 4x on the dining and 8x on the gas if you want to add points to UR.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 7, 2011 at 8:59 pm Reason: Add info on bonus pts from UR shopping mall
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton
Do you actually receive 8 pts/$ at Land's End from gift cards? In the fine print of the Land's End page on the chase shopping mall, it states that this offer is not available for gift certificates.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
We have had the Sapphire card for a long time. The benefits of this card are as good or better than any other card given personal needs. The 7% dividend points are a plus. Historically when we have redeemed miles for flights in the past we had to call their travel agent and do it over the phone and also were charged a $25 or $50 fee to book with the agent. The last time I booked a flight was earlier this summer and I was able to do it completely online. The ticket "cost" was the same as what I could have booked it heads up with the airline.

My struggle right now is that I recently got 3 CitiBank AA cards and have started throwing all our spending at the Citi cards to accumulate AA miles before they change the program. If they change it to not allow AA miles on the Citi card I will be back enjoying the Sapphire perks and benefits.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nep301
Do you actually receive 8 pts/$ at Land's End from gift cards? In the fine print of the Land's End page on the chase shopping mall, it states that this offer is not available for gift certificates.
Dont know. I haven't tried, yet.

Land's End has both GC and Gift Certificate when you go to its site - the GC is actual GC the Gift Cert is for online shopping at Land's End site. I have redeemed $100 Land's End GC from Citi's TY Network then swapped for 4 x $25 restaurant GCs at K-Mart, and another $100 to use at Sears for auto parts. At the time it was a work-around at Citi's TY Network as it did not offer $100 value for Sears Card, only $50 (6000 TYPs), but Land's End has $100 value for 10K TYPs - hence the workaround.

Worth to try the Sapphire with a $25 GC purchase if you can easily swap it for restaurant GC at K-Mart. Sears does not have restaurant GCs but K-Mart has quite some selection on those "casual dining" type.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 2:46 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Maui Time
We have had the Sapphire card for a long time. The benefits of this card are as good or better than any other card given personal needs. The 7% dividend points are a plus. Historically when we have redeemed miles for flights in the past we had to call their travel agent and do it over the phone and also were charged a $25 or $50 fee to book with the agent. The last time I booked a flight was earlier this summer and I was able to do it completely online. The ticket "cost" was the same as what I could have booked it heads up with the airline.

My struggle right now is that I recently got 3 CitiBank AA cards and have started throwing all our spending at the Citi cards to accumulate AA miles before they change the program. If they change it to not allow AA miles on the Citi card I will be back enjoying the Sapphire perks and benefits.
How do you think the CitiBank/AA program might be changed (I've never dealt with CitiBank and haven't dealt with AA for a long time)? Robyn
Old Aug 9, 2011, 4:22 pm

anyone know if if will be able to transfer points to United after the co is gone in the merger.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by robyng
How do you think the CitiBank/AA program might be changed (I've never dealt with CitiBank and haven't dealt with AA for a long time)? Robyn
The rumored change is that lifetime Gold and Platinum status might be gained only by miles actually flown rather than miles earned from all sources, including credit card spending. AA is apparently the only domestic carrier that currently considers miles from all sources. The change has been rumored for months, has not happened yet, and from a review of threads in the AA forum, has been rumored in years past as well. The hard evidence seems to suggest that the change might more realistically occur this time around, however. For those with only several hundred thousand miles to get to some level of lifetime status, whether Gold or stepping up to Platinum, the AA/Citi card offers have been a powerful tool.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trikotret
anyone know if if will be able to transfer points to United after the co is gone in the merger.
No.

It has never allowed transfer to UA in the past.

Chase has also been keeping 100% mum on the future prospect of CO card.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 9, 2011 at 8:12 pm
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Chase has also been 100% numb on the future prospect of CO card.
Do you mean "mum", as in "keeping mum"?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
Do you mean "mum", as in "keeping mum"?
Yes. sorry for the typo.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Now that I think about it....

Both my wife and I have a little over 100K British Air miles that resulted from the Chase BA credit card offer. We've still got those miles "in the bank" for future use, but I know that they would someday expire if there is no account activity.

I canceled our BA cards some time ago, so I don't have any easy way of adding BA miles.

If we get close to that expiration date, am I right that it should be possible to transfer points from my Sapphire account to both of our BA accounts in order to keep the BA accounts alive and avoid mileage expiration? If so, this would be another benefit to keeping my Sapphire card.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
am I right that it should be possible to transfer points from my Sapphire account to both of our BA accounts in order to keep the BA accounts alive and avoid mileage expiration?
Correct. Names need not match.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:06 am

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
Why do people want to use Citi/AA to earn AA miles for lifetime status? SPG Amex will earn miles faster (1:1.25) and they still account for lifetime status right?

The only thing i can think of is that with Citi Gold your Citi/AA annual fee is waived. But still I will rather pay $65 on SPG to get miles faster!

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
The hard evidence seems to suggest that the change might more realistically occur this time around, however. For those with only several hundred thousand miles to get to some level of lifetime status, whether Gold or stepping up to Platinum, the AA/Citi card offers have been a powerful tool.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.