Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
The revised July 23, 2014 CSP Guide to Benefits (BGC10374) may be found at this landing page (or directly at this location).

The CSP program rules/agreement (as of 7/24/14; RPC0444_0477) may be found at this landing page or directly at this location.

Changes to U.R. program recently announced. See post #1314.
Print Wikipost

Ultimate Rewards & CSP Benefit Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: LH Senator, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
so does anyone know, with CDW automatically included in the rental price and no option to decline it in Europe, will insurance provided by CSP card be still valid?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by CFFrost
This.

Two years in a row I've hit the $25k spend and gotten a 10k retention bonus. This means I get 45k for 25k spend. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

And, if I don't get the retention bonus next year I'll close the card. Not really worth the $95 fee to keep it open when there are so many ways to earn UR points.
Ha! I've got 20k points with CSP just ordering and paying $3000 for the hotel in Israel.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
Ha! I've got 20k points with CSP just ordering and paying $3000 for the hotel in Israel.
I didn't say I'm not doing other things to earn points - but for base spend that doesn't earn bonuses otherwise . . .
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:58 am

The 7% year-end bonus was never a deal. Ever. Unless of course you spent over $65,000 a year. It's not Visa who upped their fee, it's Chase finally wising up and marketing the card for what it really is, and giving the real traveling consumers legit options and bonafide benefits besides the ridiculous 7%. Obviously not worth it for folks who spend less than $65,000 a year on CSP. Raise your hand if you spend $65,000 a year on only CSP? *crickets*

If you're spending over $65,000 on CSP solely for the 7%, then you're finances are goofed and you have your priorities wrong. And most likely in debt. But of course your train of thought (rather, "behavior", as the self-righteous like to say) would make sense if you're using your personal auto insurance to claim damages to a rental car... I mean come on. This sort of "behavior" is ridiculous, or rather naive unless you're an avid foreign traveler who has vast experience dealing with agencies out of the international Western community.

Just let that sink in. Once your done, come to /b/ and share your thoughts.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by CFFrost
I didn't say I'm not doing other things to earn points - but for base spend that doesn't earn bonuses otherwise . . .
CSP gives you full access to UR, which is really great. And it's earning 2 points for travel, which is also great. 7% is not that much. For dining I use Citi Forward year round, or Chase Freedom, when they have restaurants category. Primary car rental insurance + 2 points for rental is really great benefit. Before I was using Ink for that, but it only gives 1 point for rental.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: AA-EXP, SQ-PPS, Marriott PP
CSP Rewards Changes Coming

Some solid changes and some not so much. Dropping the 7% dividend is really unfortunate.

Full details here:
https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?...0/Body_image_1

- Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance increases from 5K to 10K USD
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver changes from secondary coverage to primary
- Discontinuing 7% dividend after 12.31.15
- No getting cash back after 09.20.14
- Extra point for hotel/airfare booked on UR stops after 12.31.15
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by iadp
Some solid changes and some not so much. Dropping the 7% dividend is really unfortunate.

Full details here:
https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?...0/Body_image_1

- Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance increases from 5K to 10K USD
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver changes from secondary coverage to primary
- Discontinuing 7% dividend after 12.31.15
- No getting cash back after 09.20.14
- Extra point for hotel/airfare booked on UR stops after 12.31.15

How are statement credits going to be handled? or are they getting rid of that option altogether starting sept 20?

EDIT
according to customer service rep,
this only affects paper checks, Cash back will still be an option via statement credit to card or direct deposit

Last edited by rgAAFT; Jul 31, 2014 at 9:57 am
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:29 am

CSP Rewards Changes Coming

Looks like I will have to seriously consider dropping it, aside from the pt transfers I see no need for it anymore as the dividend was a biggie for me as well as being my primary hotel card.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gonz312
....the dividend was a biggie for me ...
Take me through the arithmetic on this. With the dividend we earn 1.07 points per dollar, without we earn 1.00 points per dollar. How is that a "big" factor?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:47 am

Primary Insurance for Car Rental

I can't find an actual effective date for the primary insurance coverage, although I did read the info page and new agreement. Based on the wording "coverage has been enhanced," I assume I could use this benefit tomorrow. Does anyone have info on this?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:47 am

Chase Sapphire no longer worth the yearly fee

Sapphire went from main card to secondary, to lost-it's-wallet-space card. I will drop it after I burn my 100,000 points.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:56 am

They specifically say the extra point per $1 is going away when booking travel through the UR website. Thanksfully they aren't taking away the overall 2x points for all travel. That would have been an automatic cancellation of the card for me.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by scubadiver
Sapphire went from main card to secondary, to lost-it's-wallet-space card. I will drop it after I burn my 100,000 points.
explain your reasoning? it will still have value if it gets chip and pin
If CSP became secondary, what would be primary for you? (in looking for good alternatives as well)
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by kb_rembrandt
They specifically say the extra point per $1 is going away when booking travel through the UR website. Thanksfully they aren't taking away the overall 2x points for all travel. That would have been an automatic cancellation of the card for me.
Hallelujah! Someone can read!

You only lose the extra 1 point when booking through UR - and frankly booking hotels/airfare on UR was more usually expensive than booking elsewhere so I never booked on UR.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
The ending of 7% dividend and 3x airfare/hotel through UR certainly hurts, but at least they give you 1.5 years. It could have been worse.

One thing I am not so sure is that if new applicants will have 7% through 12/2015 since there is no indication of this feature if you go to apply a new card.

This is also interesting:
We’re discontinuing underutilized features:
-Auctions
-Purchasing Ultimate Rewards points
Purchasing UR points at 2.5 cents each can be good for some who need to top of their accounts, considering airlines normally charges 3.5 cents. And looks like the feature, along with auctions, is gone immediately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.