Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
The revised July 23, 2014 CSP Guide to Benefits (BGC10374) may be found at this landing page (or directly at this location).

The CSP program rules/agreement (as of 7/24/14; RPC0444_0477) may be found at this landing page or directly at this location.

Changes to U.R. program recently announced. See post #1314.
Print Wikipost

Ultimate Rewards & CSP Benefit Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:28 pm

To me the change indicates that it was probably pressure from United that caused the elimination of the 7% benefit. Previously, the United co-brand card was one of the few personal cards that offered primary rental insurance coverage. Looks like trip cancellation and interruption is also $10k on the United card. So the CSP and United cards are essentially aligned now, with the obvious exceptions of the 2x dining/travel on CSP and $25k/10k bonus on United.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Probably the insurer Visa uses upped their limits. Chase tends to give all the benefits Visa/MC allow. Other providers (I'm looking at you BarclayUS) tend not to do so.

They probably found the 7% wasn't influencing many decisions about using or keeping cards. Or, maybe they thought people would view it as an automatic retention bonus and they still get calls.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by highops
Or, maybe they thought people would view it as an automatic retention bonus and they still get calls.
Interesting - they were very stingy with retentions on the CSP, so it will be curious to see if that changes (though we may not know until the benefit actually ends).
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:50 pm

since they added other benefits like the primary auto coverage, I doubt it.
They almost never give retention offers for this product
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by STS-134
I don't get what's so great about having the rental car insurance as primary. My personal insurance covers rentals, and up until now, the card insurance would cover up to the deductible of my personal insurance. Either way, I don't have to pay if something happens, and if the damage is less than the deductible, absolutely nothing changes.
[rude]

Besides going to primary, the other big change in auto is that it covers New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Isreal. I don't know of any card that covers the world.

And yes, I know you don't get it because you don't travel to those countries.

Last edited by philemer; Jul 25, 2014 at 5:11 pm Reason: removed rude, personal, comment. Please review TOS
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by helloXuser
I no longer own any cars after moving to New York City. I'm a Zipcar member, and when I travel, I have traditionally purchased primary/secondary insurance. The prices vary among the dozens of rental car agencies. Often times, for a 3-4 day rental, primary/secondary insurance costs almost make renting the car unaffordable (depending on the country/agency). Now, having the benefit of primary collision, more than makes up for the loss of 7% (for me personally).

One thing you need to keep in mind is that not everyone owns cars, and not everyone pays monthly for personal insurance. Even then, if I had personal insurance, I wouldn't want to report a collision to them, because you can guarantee your premium will go up. I've already rented 3 cars this year during vacations. Before July 20th, I was paying the upfront cost of primary insurance with the car agencies. When you do that often, you soon realize the significance of the change in benefits for CSP. A loss of 7% is less than what I have thus paid in 2014 for rental insurance. I'm happy with the change. But again, I surely understand that some others, such as yourself, would not be.
Your behavior makes absolutely no sense. The only thing that has changed is that collision coverage has gone from secondary to primary. Let me say again: if you have no personal insurance, the secondary coverage of the CSP IS your primary coverage for the rental! For people like you, nothing has changed. Why have you been buying supplemental insurance at all? If you consider Visa's collision damage waiver to be good enough as primary, then it was good enough as secondary too (since you have no primary). If you don't consider it to be good enough, then it doesn't matter anyway; the moment you buy any supplemental insurance from the rental company, Visa won't cover you at all. You're supposed to decline the rental agency's CDW in order to get coverage through Visa.

Last edited by STS-134; Jul 24, 2014 at 8:16 am
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hedoman
[redacted..]

Besides going to primary, the other big change in auto is that it covers New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Isreal. I don't know of any card that covers the world.

Now THAT is interesting. Didn't know that, and that IS convenient!

The coverage is stated to be secondary (at least for the generic Visa Signature card) in the US; it's implied to be primary outside of the US, by this statement:
https://usa.visa.com/personal/card-b...ion-waiver.jsp
Within your country of residence, this benefit supplements, and applies excess of, any valid and collectible insurance or reimbursement from any source. This means that, subject to the terms and conditions of this Guide to Benefit, Visa Auto Rental CDW applies to eligible theft or damage or expenses that are not covered by insurance or reimbursement.

Last edited by philemer; Jul 25, 2014 at 5:12 pm Reason: removed redacted comment from quoted post
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:32 pm

This is the language on the CSP benefits page:

AUTO RENTAL COLLISION DAMAGE WAIVER
Decline the rental company's collision insurance and charge the entire rental cost to your card. Coverage is primary and provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle for theft and collision damage for most rental cars in the U.S. and abroad.

https://creditcards.chase.com/sapphi...-card-benefits
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
In a lot of rentals for Europe, you can't decline the coverage, it's always included.

They up-sell you coverage to cover the deductible, which could be around 1000 Euro.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by hedoman
[redacted]

All Chase cards cover those countries since November 2013. I specifically requested a letter from Chase SP that it covers Israel when I went there in March this year. And I also like that it has primary coverage in US. Only Chase United Explorer and World Elite Business MCs (for business trips) had this before. In fact, all those changes make United Explorer card useless, except for 2 times a year access to *A lounges.

Last edited by philemer; Jul 25, 2014 at 5:14 pm Reason: removed redacted comment from quoted post
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by yugi
In fact, all those changes make United Explorer card useless, except for 2 times a year access to *A lounges.
Not really. For people without UA status they still get the free checked bag and priority boarding, which can be valuable. And for people with status, it allows for CPUs on award tickets, which has been a great value add for me; I'm 7/8 so far this year.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Originally Posted by bribro
Not really. For people without UA status they still get the free checked bag and priority boarding, which can be valuable. And for people with status, it allows for CPUs on award tickets, which has been a great value add for me; I'm 7/8 so far this year.
In addition to those, if you're putting $25k in non-travel spend on it you essentially get 1.4 miles/$. And there's the PQD waiver for those with status (up to platinum anyway).
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread

Some rental places don't realize or accept that credit cards provide auto insurance. I tried to rent a car one time in Lake Charles, Louisiana, and the rental agent asked me for insurance to cover damages to the vehicle. I told him the credit card provided it. He then checked with supervisor and said no-go. So I walked out.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by smith80678
Some rental places don't realize or accept that credit cards provide auto insurance. I tried to rent a car one time in Lake Charles, Louisiana, and the rental agent asked me for insurance to cover damages to the vehicle. I told him the credit card provided it. He then checked with supervisor and said no-go. So I walked out.
I think some car rental places will push you to buy their insurance no matter what. One time the counter agent told me that I HAVE buy their insurance. I said I have my own and the credit I used also have it. After a long argument she said to me "if anything happens to the car, we will bill you personally and we don't deal with 3rd party." I just said "Alright and you have a Merry Christmas." It was Christmas and maybe she was just mad that she had to work Christmas.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by nookanaya
In addition to those, if you're putting $25k in non-travel spend on it you essentially get 1.4 miles/$. And there's the PQD waiver for those with status (up to platinum anyway).
This.

Two years in a row I've hit the $25k spend and gotten a 10k retention bonus. This means I get 45k for 25k spend. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

And, if I don't get the retention bonus next year I'll close the card. Not really worth the $95 fee to keep it open when there are so many ways to earn UR points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.