Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
The revised July 23, 2014 CSP Guide to Benefits (BGC10374) may be found at this landing page (or directly at this location).

The CSP program rules/agreement (as of 7/24/14; RPC0444_0477) may be found at this landing page or directly at this location.

Changes to U.R. program recently announced. See post #1314.
Print Wikipost

Ultimate Rewards & CSP Benefit Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:43 pm

I respectfully suggest that any further discussion along these lines be taken to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...solidated.html.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Sapphire Preferred primary car insurance

Am I missing the thread that mentions this new benefit? Also, the 7% year end bonus is going bye-bye.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by hedoman
Am I missing the thread that mentions this new benefit? Also, the 7% year end bonus is going bye-bye.
Current card holders get to keep the bonus for the rest of this year and next. But you're right, after that it's gone and so am I. That was the only thing that made it worth the $95 a year to me.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by hedoman

Over the coming weeks, two new benefits will be added in place of the 7% year-end-bonus. 1.) Instead of secondary auto insurance, we'll have primary. 2.) Trip cancellation & interruption coverage will increase from $5,000 to $10,000.

If you earn 100,000 points a year, that 7% is 7,000 points lost. For me personally, the price of adding primary insurance on rental cars outweighs the 7%. The primary insurance coupled with the cancellation and interruption coverage, make losing the 7% worth it. But I surely understand that others prioritize their benefits differently, and for some losing the 7% may be a significant benefit they can't justify losing. I'm just glad they didn't scrap the 7% and that be it.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:47 pm

Is there an exact date when the CSP gets primary auto coverage yet? I need to make a booking soon...
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Is there an exact date when the CSP gets primary auto coverage yet? I need to make a booking soon...
I believe it's effective immediately. Advertising of the new benefits should be seen come September. Just give a ring to one if the sapphire reps, but be warned that even some of them may not be fully aware.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by helloXuser
Over the coming weeks, two new benefits will be added in place of the 7% year-end-bonus. 1.) Instead of secondary auto insurance, we'll have primary. 2.) Trip cancellation & interruption coverage will increase from $5,000 to $10,000.

If you earn 100,000 points a year, that 7% is 7,000 points lost. For me personally, the price of adding primary insurance on rental cars outweighs the 7%. The primary insurance coupled with the cancellation and interruption coverage, make losing the 7% worth it. But I surely understand that others prioritize their benefits differently, and for some losing the 7% may be a significant benefit they can't justify losing. I'm just glad they didn't scrap the 7% and that be it.
I don't get what's so great about having the rental car insurance as primary. My personal insurance covers rentals, and up until now, the card insurance would cover up to the deductible of my personal insurance. Either way, I don't have to pay if something happens, and if the damage is less than the deductible, absolutely nothing changes.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by STS-134
I don't get what's so great about having the rental car insurance as primary. My personal insurance covers rentals, and up until now, the card insurance would cover up to the deductible of my personal insurance. Either way, I don't have to pay if something happens, and if the damage is less than the deductible, absolutely nothing changes.
my car insurance doesn't cover mine - I'm pretty excited about his new change and will be taking advantage of it in 2 week in mexico ^
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:57 am

You may not have to pay immediately if something happens, but if you involve your own insurance company and have an accident, you run the risk of having your insurance rates increase. This new benefit takes that potential problem off the table.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:33 am

The increase in trip insurance is a big boost in coverage. If you take a decent size trip each year you likely come out ahead with that over the 7 percent bonus. Sure you might not need that insurance but when you do, it's incredibly helpful.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by llbad
my car insurance doesn't cover mine - I'm pretty excited about his new change and will be taking advantage of it in 2 week in mexico ^
If you do not have primary insurance for rental cars, then absolutely nothing has changed for you (not even who pays for any damage). The card's insurance used to act as the secondary coverage (second to your primary coverage), but if you have no primary, it's was and is the only coverage, and it covers anything. Not sure why you're so excited.

Originally Posted by bigbuy
You may not have to pay immediately if something happens, but if you involve your own insurance company and have an accident, you run the risk of having your insurance rates increase. This new benefit takes that potential problem off the table.
That so-called "problem" is there every time you drive your personal car down the street. Why should a rental be any different? We're paying for this "benefit" with our 7% annual dividend. If you did the math, I'm sure you'd find that the expected cost of not having this benefit (probability that something happens to your rental car that exceeds your personal insurance deductible times the increase in personal insurance rates) is less than the value of those points from the dividend. That's why Chase is making this change.

Last edited by STS-134; Jul 23, 2014 at 9:48 am
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:02 pm

That so-called "problem" is there every time you drive your personal car down the street. Why should a rental be any different? We're paying for this "benefit" with our 7% annual dividend. If you did the math, I'm sure you'd find that the expected cost of not having this benefit (probability that something happens to your rental car that exceeds your personal insurance deductible times the increase in personal insurance rates) is less than the value of those points from the dividend. That's why Chase is making this change.
True. Although I think you're probably more likely to get into an incident/accident in a rental car than a personal car. Potential differences in familiarity with your car, the area you drive in (e.g. no surprise exits), and the traffic (e.g. aggressive or passive). But you're right, Chase's actuaries have likely determined that it's cheaper to pay for the occasional accident than give everyone a 7% annual dividend.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:55 pm

If you do not have primary insurance for rental cars, then absolutely nothing has changed for you (not even who pays for any damage). The card's insurance used to act as the secondary coverage (second to your primary coverage), but if you have no primary, it's was and is the only coverage, and it covers anything. Not sure why you're so excited. That so-called "problem" is there every time you drive your personal car down the street. Why should a rental be any different? We're paying for this "benefit" with our 7% annual dividend. If you did the math, I'm sure you'd find that the expected cost of not having this benefit (probability that something happens to your rental car that exceeds your personal insurance deductible times the increase in personal insurance rates) is less than the value of those points from the dividend. That's why Chase is making this change.
I no longer own any cars after moving to New York City. I'm a Zipcar member, and when I travel, I have traditionally purchased primary/secondary insurance. The prices vary among the dozens of rental car agencies. Often times, for a 3-4 day rental, primary/secondary insurance costs almost make renting the car unaffordable (depending on the country/agency). Now, having the benefit of primary collision, more than makes up for the loss of 7% (for me personally).

One thing you need to keep in mind is that not everyone owns cars, and not everyone pays monthly for personal insurance. Even then, if I had personal insurance, I wouldn't want to report a collision to them, because you can guarantee your premium will go up. I've already rented 3 cars this year during vacations. Before July 20th, I was paying the upfront cost of primary insurance with the car agencies. When you do that often, you soon realize the significance of the change in benefits for CSP. A loss of 7% is less than what I have thus paid in 2014 for rental insurance. I'm happy with the change. But again, I surely understand that some others, such as yourself, would not be.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Does the primary insurance benefit cover foreign car rentals?

Is it retroactive to a rental booked a month or two ago, but the actual rental is in September?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Does the primary insurance benefit cover foreign car rentals?

Is it retroactive to a rental booked a month or two ago, but the actual rental is in September?
Most cards do. That's the other benefit while renting a car internationally. I'm not aware of any personal auto insurance in the United States that covers rental cars in foreign territories. I've had StateFarm and AllState. Their policies may have changed in the past 7 years since I last had personal auto insurance, and other companies surely may provide international car insurance. I have 100% of the time in all my travels, in all countries had to purchase the agencies auto insurance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.