Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
The revised July 23, 2014 CSP Guide to Benefits (BGC10374) may be found at this landing page (or directly at this location).

The CSP program rules/agreement (as of 7/24/14; RPC0444_0477) may be found at this landing page or directly at this location.

Changes to U.R. program recently announced. See post #1314.
Print Wikipost

Ultimate Rewards & CSP Benefit Changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:17 pm

Thanks neo. When I called Chase's generic credit card number, the recording said the app was pending and they'd let me know within "two weeks". So we'll see.

Any idea why my wife would have gotten instant approval but I didn't? Our credit profiles are nearly identical (if anything my credit is slightly better than hers). is my UMP Visa from 2004 or whatever really making the difference?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:00 am

I'm still trying to figure out they're approval system. I've had 3 friends try: One was "Pending" and got the card within 2 weeks, one was "Pending" and upon calling, turns out the credit report had one phone number, and she had put down another (moved from Verizon to Vonage). The friend who got instant approved has 'fair' credit, and a few late payments earlier this year. I got 'pending', have great credit, and last activity on my report this year was the hard pull when I was approved for the Amex Plat in May.

Called the number late Friday and they said I would be denied due to recent negative's (late payments) on my report. When I asked what, they said that one of my cards showed a late payment just in June. Turns out it was for a card that the late payment was back in April of 07, but was updated/reported in June (looked like the Home Depot's credit update my report with current status, and if you look at the detail, it shows the late payment in June 07, and nothing since then).

I pointed this out (I was looking at the same reporting agency they were), and was put on hold and told that they would take another look and let me know this week. (I think they just saw the "Reported Date" and figure it was just this past month without looking further.

Regardless, if you call, they can tell you immediately the status, and usually with a few questions, can move it right along.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by crimson12
Any idea why my wife would have gotten instant approval but I didn't?
A couple of thoughts:
1. Maybe she is better looking than you.
2. More seriously, I'm in the process of refinancing my home loan. The lender pulled reports from all 3 of the major agencies, so I know that my credit scores and my wife's are pretty close. (She actually has a slightly higher score than me - she's better looking than me, so that explains it). However, we did learn that there are a few errors that have crept into our credit reports over the years. For example, her credit report shows a dispute with a Citibank card that was not resolved. I know that this is Citi's error - there were fradulent charges on one of her Citicards a few years ago, Citi promptly contacted us, and that card was canceled. We filed all the necessary paperwork with Citi, but apparently Citi failed to remove this episode from her credit file. So I'm now going to have to request full credit reports from the 3 agencies for both of us and go through them with a fine tooth comb. Even if you know your credit score, perhaps there is something lurking in your credit file that you don't know about?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
OK folks, let's get back on topic please. This thread is about benefits of Sapphire Preferred program. Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:22 pm

Sorry phil, just a quick update, I did call the number neo suggested and got approved on the phone -- so thanks FT!

As to the benefits: has anyone used this card abroad? I'm curious about the "no foreign transaction fee". Does this just mean you get a crappy exchange rate instead? My UMP Visa would give me a good rate but charge 3%; I'm wondering if Chase is now "hiding the ball" but give us "no fee" but a lower rate.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by crimson12
As to the benefits: has anyone used this card abroad? I'm curious about the "no foreign transaction fee". Does this just mean you get a crappy exchange rate instead? My UMP Visa would give me a good rate but charge 3%; I'm wondering if Chase is now "hiding the ball" but give us "no fee" but a lower rate.
I can't speak to the Sapphire Preferred card, but having used my Chase CO Pres Plus and BA cards outside the US in the past month, I don't see anything devious about the exchange rates used.

Also, recall that the banks suffered through long-running class actions over their forex fees. It's pretty much a death/taxes certainty that if any bank tried the stunt you describe -- advertise "no forex" and then bury the fee in a disadvantageous exchange rate -- they'd end up having to pay it all back in a settlement (and pay the lawyers on top of that). So there's a strong disincentive to pull this particular shenanigan.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by psfcfa
Just got my first bill, and timeshare fees, dining out and car rental all posted at 2X points. This is an awfully good card!
Just got my first statement, too, and I see some double miles, but it's very inconsistent. One hotel charge got the double miles, the other didn't, one large dining out charge (company meal) did not get the double miles, but several others did. Also no bonus for a United upgrade to Premium Economy, though that should be travel?
Is there a cut-off date when this bonus was introduced? Or is it because the merchants may have been categorized wrong? Is it worth it to send a nice mail to Chase?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:46 pm

Frugal Travel Guy had a post about this; apparently the cutoff was 7/17. But some people have had some luck getting a bump to "make up" for the fact that some spending happened before the cutoff.

This, among other things, makes me wish I discovered FT even just a few weeks before I did!
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by beltway
I can't speak to the Sapphire Preferred card, but having used my Chase CO Pres Plus and BA cards outside the US in the past month, I don't see anything devious about the exchange rates used.
I'm going to guess that Chase is using the same exchange rate for all their no forex fees cards. (Not guaranteed, but it seems likely.) In the AmEx forums, one person has reported getting a better rate from Chase than from the (now forex-fee-free) AmEx Platinum. I haven't made a forex transaction with my Chase Sapphire Preferred (although I'm about to make several in preparation for an Australia trip), I can report that AmEx rates have been within 0.40% and 0.74% of the prevailing exchange rate for the date of the transaction. Given currency fluctuations, that doesn't seem like an unreasonable variation.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Daggett76
Just got my first statement, too, and I see some double miles, but it's very inconsistent. One hotel charge got the double miles, the other didn't, one large dining out charge (company meal) did not get the double miles, but several others did. Also no bonus for a United upgrade to Premium Economy, though that should be travel?
Is there a cut-off date when this bonus was introduced? Or is it because the merchants may have been categorized wrong? Is it worth it to send a nice mail to Chase?
Sent a courteous email asking for clarification, and got the following response from a rep named Kajal:
"A careful review of the account ending in 1412, does not indicate that you have the offer to receive double rewards on travel and dining."
Never mind that it says so right on the statement, and that AFAIK it is a benefit for all Sapphire Preferred cards? Chase, what's the point in guaranteeing an answer within four hours, when that answer is less than helpful?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:38 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by Daggett76
...what's the point in guaranteeing an answer within four hours,
when that answer is less than helpful?
Did they guarantee the answer would be helpful ??
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Did they guarantee the answer would be helpful ??
Right...
I replied with essentially what I said above (that the bonus is mentioned on my statement and that all Sapphire Preferred get it), and the answer was a generic overview of the benefits of the Sapphire Preferred card. This is like pulling teeth. Sent another reply, if that doesn't work, I'm giving up. AAAARGGHH!
Old Aug 6, 2011, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My 2nd statement closed yesterday.

There is a restaurant charge on Aug 4th.

However I only see the 1x spend earning posted in my UR account. Despite I met the $3K this cycle, the 50K bonus has not posted, nor the additional 1pt on restaurant charge bonus.

The statement is not online yet so no way to check. Would wait till statement is viewable online before calling / SMing.

I also got a big hard cover brochure of UR program today via mail - it does not mention any 2 x spending bonus other than the airline booking via UR travel center.

I wonder if the 2x bonus on dining and other categories only applied to cards applied after 7/17?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 3:01 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Happy
I wonder if the 2x bonus on dining and other categories only applied to cards applied after 7/17?
Can you log into Ultimate Rewards and go to "About Your Card" in the "Manage Ultimate Rewards" section (left hand side of the page)? Does the June 2011 version of the brochure load which references 2x points on dining and travel expenses?

I have thought that it is odd that none of the marketing materials readily available online (I'm not including the PDF version of the brochure that people have been able to download) have referenced this change even though it's been a few weeks.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Happy
I also got a big hard cover brochure of UR program today via mail - it does not mention any 2 x spending bonus other than the airline booking via UR travel center.

Marketing materials approvals, printing, mailing, etc takes at least a month lead time, if they made the 2x dining decision in July (or even late June) it would have missed the cut-off for any brochure changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.