Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United Club Card Does Not Cover CDW in Ireland?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2013, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First

Hi,

It seems that United Club Card has exclusion for Ireland for CDW coverage (For rental car). Does anyone know a better option that will cover CDW in Ireland? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
There are a few countries (Israel, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica and maybe some others) that are not covered for CDW with routine cards.
As far as I know only World Mastercard will cover in Ireland.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
When I went to Ireland, I just bought the CDW from the rental car company. Most cards exclude this country and it is really unwise to risk no coverage. The roads are extremely narrow and curvy with 2000 year old stone walls behind the ivy on each side. Also, when you return the car, someone WILL go over it with a fine tooth comb (unlike in the USA). Just factor in the cost to your travel budget - worth the piece of mind.

Last edited by ctroadwarrior; Feb 5, 2013 at 7:00 pm Reason: misspellling
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by ctroadwarrior
When I went to Ireland, I just bought the CDW from the rental car company. Most cards exclude this country and it is really unwise to risk no coverage. The roads are extremely narrow and curvy with 2000 year old stone walls behind the ivy on each side. Also, when you return the car, someone WILL go over it iwth a fine tooth comb (unlike in the USA). Just factor in the cost to your travel budget - worth the piece of mind.
Agree 100% with everything stated.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Few, if any, cards do.

There is a good thread on this in the Ireland forum. We got it from a third-party. Worked fine.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hobo13
Few, if any, cards do.

There is a good thread on this in the Ireland forum. We got it from a third-party. Worked fine.
I believe the supplemental car insurance on American Express cards covers Ireland.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
I believe the supplemental car insurance on American Express cards covers Ireland.
Premium car rental insurance on American Express ($24.95 per rental) also excludes Ireland and a handful of other countries.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by denuaflier
It seems that United Club Card has exclusion for Ireland for CDW coverage (For rental car). Does anyone know a better option that will cover CDW in Ireland? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Over in the Avis forum, someone discovered that booking on the Irish Avis site (avis.ie) included CDW for the same or even better price than booking on the US Avis site (avis.com) without CDW.

(I don't know if this idea works with other rental company sites or not.)
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Thank you for all your responses. I appreciate it.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:48 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

For collision damage waivers:

Visa and Mastercard exclude vehicles rented in Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland, or Northern Ireland.

American Express excludes vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Italy, Israel, Jamaica and New Zealand.

Discover does not exclude any countries.

(I got the above from another forum, so it may not be up to date.)

I have heard that Irish rental agencies may refuse to rent to you unless you buy their insurance or show proof of local insurance.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by cbn42
For collision damage waivers:

Visa and Mastercard exclude vehicles rented in Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland, or Northern Ireland.

American Express excludes vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Italy, Israel, Jamaica and New Zealand.

Discover does not exclude any countries.

(I got the above from another forum, so it may not be up to date.)

I have heard that Irish rental agencies may refuse to rent to you unless you buy their insurance or show proof of local insurance.
Coverage is offered in Jamaica through the "World" Mastercard branded cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.